This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PAX AUS 2013

Comments

• I want to go to them once (well, not Alaska because it's a pain in the ass to get to, but besides that I do). I want to see how/if anime fandom culture in America changes regionally. The first example I can think of this is Daryl Surat's compare-and-contrast of Otakon to SakuraCon.
    Wyoming has never had an anime convention. If it did, it would be so empty and boring. I guess it would be a story...
    Turns out there are in fact no anime conventions in Wyoming. Nor are they in Deleware, Mississippi, North Dakota, or New Mexico. I have a sudden compulsion to start some anime cons in places I'm nowhere near.

• Ԁ∀X
    Please don't do that.
    On the off chance I get a lot of work in the next few months, I will make it a goal to get to PAX Aus as well as Pax East. I really want to travel more and it'll piss my brother off to no end if I get to visit Australia before him, plus I really want to meet Churba in person and confirm somebody so awesome can exist.
    We'll drink. Sounds good.

• Sorry, I should have known that was a shitty joke. I have no excuse and I apologize for the offense. If there is anything I can do to make it up to you, please let me know.
  • Sorry, I should have known that was a shitty joke. I have no excuse and I apologize for the offense. If there is anything I can do to make it up to you, please let me know.
    If it's any consolation, it's mostly because of reddit, and how for about a year and a half, ANY image with any relation to Australia would be flipped and resubmitted as a [FIXED] by about a dozen people, so you rapidly get sick of it. No offense, and your method was clever, but still, you can do better. And doing better is coincidentally how you can make it up.

• I think posting anything with [FIXED] in the title should result in an instant ban from Reddit for one week.
  • I think posting anything with [FIXED] in the title should result in an instant ban from Reddit for one week.
    On /r/anime, we have a rule against posting "Fixed" images.

People still bitch us out when we pull them.
  • Turns out there are in fact no anime conventions in Wyoming. Nor are they in Deleware, Mississippi, North Dakota, or New Mexico. I have a sudden compulsion to start some anime cons in places I'm nowhere near.
    Somebody should really start a con in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Not just because it's where Buggs Bunny should've taken a left, but also because Isotopes Stadium is well worth a visit (even if one isn't a Simpsons fan -- it just has fun architecture).

• Argh, too late to edit, it should've attributed quotes this way:
    Turns out there are in fact no anime conventions in Wyoming. Nor are they in Deleware, Mississippi, North Dakota, or New Mexico. I have a sudden compulsion to start some anime cons in places I'm nowhere near.
    Somebody should really start a con in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Not just because it's where Buggs Bunny should've taken a left, but also because Isotopes Stadium is well worth a visit (even if one isn't a Simpsons fan -- it just has fun architecture).

• I thought there was something out there, but it might be a sci-fi con. That's George R R Martin turf, and I remember having read something about him regularly attending a local con.
  • Hell yeah, PAX is coming to my town! Melbourne in 2013 - source
  • edited September 2012
    Actual source. And we do all know precisely how well Kotaku examines it's sources and tips - Pretty much not at all.

On top of that, we've seen nothing that we didn't know already, but for the date and place. We knew it was Reed working with Penny Arcade. It's long been rumored that it would be in winter. The venue choice is kinda obvious, it HAS to be one of the larger event venues in town, and you're not exactly overflowing with them. Plus, I could make what I've seen so far in about five minutes in photoshop.

Considering the fervent nature of the Melbourne-based people on the PAX Australia facebook page, I'd be taking this with a big grain of salt till the official announcement.

I am surprised, though. That's, what, 25 conventions per year Melbourne has now, if PAX truly is there? And the city with the lowest attendance per convention for any multi-city convention you host, out of any city on the east coast - yet, the venue prices are ridiculously high for what you get, because they're under such demand, with so many geek conventions plus all the other conventions and trade shows in town.

That doesn't make sound sense to me, business or otherwise. I'll still be going if it's in Melbourne, but something about this is pinging my bullshit meter. But that might just be interference from the high levels of smug rising off the PAX Australia Facebook page, if I see one more pretentious melbourne twat talking about how "Melbourne deserved it", I'm going to fucking brain someone. Either way, there are far more questions raised by this than are answered, it simply doesn't pass the smell test for me.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Places like that, while expensive, tend to make it much easier for the people running the convention. There's a reason so many cons are in the Gaylord in DC, despite the fact that it's basically in a fake town designed solely for conventions and nothing more.

Granted, we were surprised when PAX announced their first East as being in the Hynes in Boston. That venue is TINY. We'd expected Baltimore, which, while the city is a hole, the convention center is extremely good for geek conventions with typical formats. Arguably, the BCC is better than the BCEC for what PAX needs.
  • edited September 2012
    Places like that, while expensive, tend to make it much easier for the people running the convention. There's a reason so many cons are in the Gaylord in DC, despite the fact that it's basically in a fake town designed solely for conventions and nothing more.

Granted, we were surprised when PAX announced their first East as being in the Hynes in Boston. That venue is TINY. We'd expected Baltimore, which, while the city is a hole, the convention center is extremely good for geek conventions with typical formats. Arguably, the BCC is better than the BCEC for what PAX needs.
    I'm aware, just because we don't get many geek conventions, doesn't make it my first time around the block in regards to that kind of event.

It's still pinging my bullshit meter, though - that overlaps with a few other Melbourne events, including at least one in the same proposed venue that takes up a large amount of space, which I know for a fucking fact is already booked for next year. Nobody in melbourne hospitality has heard anything(other than the kotaku article), not even my mates from the venue it's supposedly in, who likely would know at least a little, if something was booked at that time.

I'm not saying it's wrong, I'm just saying that I'm extremely dubious.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Argh, if it's going to be in the hole that is Melbourne my dreams of attending are shattered. I was/am really hoping it would be in Brisbane, which I thought would be the most suitable place. We have a huge convention centre that would be perfect; alternatively, the RNA showgrounds are in the process of being revamped right now and are located right next to the nightlife capital which, for what it's worth includes the first Mana Bar...

...and as a bonus, the city's not an overcrowded, overpriced shithole!
  • I was correct in predicting it's the same week as SDCC. I guess it's good that Connecticon is the week before instead of the same week. Still, it's going to be rough working a con and then immediately pulling a Magellan.
  • How I wish there was a 'T' instead of an 'S' in the title of this thread.
  • edited September 2012
    I was correct in predicting it's the same week as SDCC. I guess it's good that Connecticon is the week before instead of the same week. Still, it's going to be rough working a con and then immediately pulling a Magellan.
    Until PAX confirms, you're not right about it. You're just possibly correct.

Post edited by Churba on
  • Supposing that's right, one of the flight paths there took me through Tokyo.

If I had all the monies, pre-pax for a week or two in Tokyo.
  • Argh, if it's going to be in the hole that is Melbourne my dreams of attending are shattered. I was/am really hoping it would be in Brisbane, which I thought would be the most suitable place. We have a huge convention centre that would be perfect; alternatively, the RNA showgrounds are in the process of being revamped right now and are located right next to the nightlife capital which, for what it's worth includes the first Mana Bar...

...and as a bonus, the city's not an overcrowded, overpriced shithole!
    I'm trying to be nice, mostly because Thane lives there, and I don't want to insult the place. Suffice it to say, it's not my favorite city in the world, but on the upside, it's better than Sydney.

• Why would I want to go to Australia? Even the clocks try to kill you, apparently, via spider bite.
  • edited October 2012
    Never been to Melbourne. I was hoping it would be in Brisbane so I may rekindle childhood memories :(

Maybe I'll take a bit more time off and visit Brisbane for a day.

Also first day is my birthday!
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • Two grand round-trip tickets? I might be able to do that if I can snag a Work-Travel Visa.
  • edited October 2012
    Never been to Melbourne. I was hoping it would be in Brisbane so I may rekindle childhood memories :(

Maybe I'll take a bit more time off and visit Brisbane for a day.

Also first day is my birthday!
    Well, IF this is true - big if at this point, since literally zero further evidence has turned up, other than kotaku talking about a trivially faked PDF they had anonymously emailed to them - then yeah, sucks shit, it's in Melbourne, but we're going anyway.

I'll be honest, I really don't like Melbourne at all, but I'll do it for PAX.

I seriously cannot stress enough, don't go booking tickets till it's actually confirmed. Or, if you do, keep in mind you might have to fly to another city.

Post edited by Churba on
  • I've been thinking of things to do in Australia that aren't stereotypical bullshit like learning to throw a boomerang. How hard is it to get tickets to some professional Australian sports like some Rugby or Aussie Rules Football?
  • You could go roo shooting, or mine uranium.
  • You could go roo shooting, or mine uranium.
    Yeah, no.
  • I'd actually really like to go 'roo shooting. There's an overpopulation problem, and the meat is supposed to be pretty choice.
  • I wonder what it tastes like.
  • I've been thinking of things to do in Australia that aren't stereotypical bullshit like learning to throw a boomerang. How hard is it to get tickets to some professional Australian sports like some Rugby or Aussie Rules Football?
    Very easy, depending on the season - for Rugby, I'm pretty sure it's March to September, plus the three State of Origin matches. Aussie Rules is March to August, but then they have the finals in September or October. Most cities will have a game of one kind or the other most weeks/fortnights.

For tickets, you mostly buy them through Ticketek or Ticketmaster, similar services like that. I think you can buy some tickets from the clubs directly, but it varies from club to club.

And throwing a boomerang is really easy, the trick is getting the fucker to come back. I always preferred the big old non-returner, myself.
    I wonder what it tastes like.
    You can buy it in the supermarket here. Tastes pretty good, when you cook it right.

• Any more news on where this is? I am definitely not going to be able to go this year, but next year is a possibility if the airfare isn't horrible. One across the ocean trip per year.