This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Puella Maji Madoka Majica

Comments

• Final episode has been a let-down.
  • I don't know, the final episode made me cry. I think that my favorite episode is Homura Groundhog Day in episode 10. I really like Homura, and there was also some really sad stuff going down in that episode.
  • edited September 2011
    I guess I have to admit that I know I cried during either episode 11 or 12. I was definitely "whelmed". I bought into the characters, at some point, without totally realizing it.

For me, the final "plot twist" didn't work and undersold the show. I was expecting something that set the bar at a certain level to push it just a little bit higher right at the end. I was secretly rooting for the extremely bleak "black" ending that just leaves the viewer completely bereft. That was what I was craving at the end, because I'm a horrible person. What they did was definitely interesting, but was qualifiably a dark gray and radio static. So it let me down from my own arbitrary expectations.

Comparably, what I wanted was Cowboy Bebop (as I see it) which delivered more than I was expecting. I guess I'm a sucker for tragedy. Not perfectly related, but this reminds me of how I "thought" Samurai Champloo ended when I didn't get to see the final episode. The ending there was infinitely more heartbreaking, then I watched the final episode and it washed away some of what I had felt about the series.

Edit: And listening to Rym and Scott say people that don't like Eva's ending wouldn't like this ending are stereotyping a bit. Eva had a great ending. What disappointed me was more that everyone else thought they needed an "End of Eva". The original ending was exactly what I wanted. Five or six of the episodes in the middle though, where Shinji was just being Shinji, were filler for me and didn't really progress the story.
    Post edited by Anthony Heman on
  • I started watching this show at 10 AM, and I just finished. I don't know what took me 13 hours, but something did and, well, now I know what I'll be having nightmares about. Anyway, this show is amazing. The first I'd heard of it was waaay back at Portcon in late June. The way it was sold to me, I couldn't tell if this was the greatest show of the last decade, or trying way too hard. As it turns out, the former. I love everything about this show -- character designs, artistic direction (I hadn't before seen a show that preyed on my crippling fear of butterflies), animation, plot, everything. I really don't know what else to say. I think I cried, but I'm not sure (I felt tears in my eyes, but not on my cheeks, and I never wiped my eyes.) It was a show that attached me to all of its characters, just so that it could do with them what it did (we're keeping this spoiler free for now, right?)

Actually, this may seem strange, but the ending made me think that it should be made into a JRPG with MMO possiblities. Think about the things it says with Homura's "IT'S THE MIND" thing, and then what happens with Madoka at the end. Now think about a JRPG where different things happen to your party than other's party, and it's reliant on your skill at the combat. Now what if there was a multiplayer mode where the parties -- who are the same characters from alternate time lines -- interact and adventure together.

I realize this may be the rambling of a man who's had too much Drink Of Death tonight (take every liquid within reason from the fridge and mix it into one cup. Add freezer for taste) but I think it has potential. Anyway, the shows amazing, and I need to sleep on the ending until I can comment further.
  • I'm working my way through this show now, though I'll need to wait a couple of days before I can finish it.
    So far, I think the episode 3 witch is the best thing ever, due to those facial expressions. Also, Kyubey is scary.
  • big reveal in episode 9
    Seems to me that [SPOILERS]QB's world and the Monsters Inc world have some pretty significant parallels in how they address the energy crisis. One feeds off the turmoil of adolescents, the other feeds off the fear of little children. Perhaps they should work out the synergies?
  • Seems to me that [SPOILERS]
    Well, if that were the case Kyubei should just start harvesting happiness and laughter, as they provide much larger amounts of energy.
    Well, if that were the case Kyubei should just start harvesting happiness and laughter, as they provide much larger amounts of energy.
    So he should stop giving magical powers to prepubescent girls and start giving them to comedians?
    So he should stop giving magical powers to prepubescent girls and start giving them to comedians?
    Yes, but unfortunately that would make some of the worst comedians very powerful.
    Yes, but unfortunately that would make some of the worst comedians very powerful.
    I have visions of some strange Kyubei-operated version of this, the attraction at Disney World with the worst possible acronym.
  • I have visions of some strange Kyubei-operated version of this, the attraction at Disney World with the worst possible acronym.
    The MILF is very entertaining, though.
  • I have visions of some strange Kyubei-operated version of this, the attraction at Disney World with the worst possible acronym.
    That it is.
    That it is.
    The acronym? Amusing.

The attraction? Meh. It was okay the first time through but lacks re-watchability. Enough with the That Guy joke already. I miss Timekeeper.
  • I miss Timekeeper
    "They're called lean rails because you lean on them. If you sat on them they would be sit rails."
  • The acronym? Amusing.
    Most definitely.
    The attraction? Meh. It was okay the first time through but lacks re-watchability.
    I find it to be a very entertaining attraction, but I only go down to WDW about once every 1-2 years.
    I miss Timekeeper.
    So do I.
  • edited September 2011
    This just sort of came to me.
    Post edited by Greg on
  • edited September 2011
    "Statistics" - best quote of the show.
    I guess I have to admit that I know I cried during either episode 11 or 12. I was definitely "whelmed". I bought into the characters, at some point, without totally realizing it.
    I'm watching episode 11 now, but I definitely cried a little during episode 10.
    EDIT: Cried some more during episode 11 too.
    Sadly I'm going to have to wait a little before I can watch episode 12, though.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited September 2011
    I thought the ending was quite solid.
    I don't know, the final episode made me cry. I think that my favorite episode is Homura Groundhog Day in episode 10. I really like Homura, and there was also some really sad stuff going down in that episode.
    Yeah, episode 10 was definitely the best one, and also my favourite. My second-favourite would have to be episode 3, because I really, really liked that witch.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • The episode 3 witch was my favorite witch. It seemed like it got lost on its way to Yellow Submarine.
  • The episode 3 witch is named Charlotte. It is incredibly popular among the Japanese otaku.
  • Those facial expressions it had were just too awesome.
  • Check out this piece of amazingness:

I just finished the show. Seriously awesome. I already need to watch it again.
  • edited November 2012
    Great picture; seriously. Card Captor was the first and to date only Magical Girl Show I really liked besides Madoka Magicka. Was it also the first to popularize the whole magical pet thing?
    Post edited by lifecircle on
  • Great picture; seriously. Card Captor was the first and to date only Magical Girl Show I really liked besides Madoka Magicka. Was it also the first to popularize the whole magical pet thing?
    Magical pets have been around for a long ass time. Finding the first one would be a great research project.

You should watch Fancy Lala.
  • After first seeing a ton of people cosplay from this show, then seeing you guys talking about how you liked it so much, I decided to give it a try. I accidentally watched it all last night (thank you daylight savings!).

Holy poop, what did I just watch?
  • After first seeing a ton of people cosplay from this show, then seeing you guys talking about how you liked it so much, I decided to give it a try. I accidentally watched it all last night (thank you daylight savings!).

Holy poop, what did I just watch?
    Watch it again!
  • I recently did a re-watch too. So good.

Also, does the music remind anyone else of the Kraid theme from Zero Mission?

• Seems to me that Madoka may have made the world a worse place after her wish? If there are no more witches than are there not also no more grief seeds? How will magical girls cleanse their soul gems?
  • There were the new bad guys who dropped those little cubic grief shards, which I assume could also be used to cleanse soul gems.