This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Wednesday - Star Wars and Saga

Comments

• edited January 2013
    Desktop: At home, uber gaming, report writing, research,
    Laptop (work): Work stuff, gaming when away from home, heavy interneting, writing.
    Tablet: Light interneting around wi-fi, when I have space needs, reading comics.
    Smartphone: Light internet, GPS, light e-mail, random apps but not reading beyond "Oh shit I need to figure something out right now and I'm in the woods/crowd/whatever.
    3DS: Sitting gathering dust until Fire Emblem comes out next week.
    That's pretty close to my uses.

Except 3DS I've been playing Paper Mario a lot, that game is awesome.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • I started playing through Order Ecclesia again. Damn, I want some more metroidvania right up ins.
  • I keep looking at my unfinished pile of PS2, gamecube, wii, DS games I do want to play and keep going back to my PC for gaming... sigh, maybe once my new house is set up.
  • I started playing through Order Ecclesia again. Damn, I want some more metroidvania right up ins.
    Did you ever play Shadow Complex on your XBoz?
  • edited January 2013
    http://www.giantbomb.com/la-mulana/61-22517/

This game is Metroidvania ish and is coming to steam, looks pretty dope. The guy had been working on it for fucking ever it seems like.

Shadow Complex was also pretty good. Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet fell into that category too and it was pretty neat, but not super great. There were a couple puzzles that I got really stuck on because they were so poorly designed.

Outlands on the Xbox is pretty good too surprisingly.

Looking at some games reminded me that Tomba was a game, holy shit PS classics store plz.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • RymRym
    edited January 2013
    Shadow Complex I've been meaning to finish. But what I want is a metroidvania on my portable console.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Reading on Comixology's reader on a desktop/laptop is pretty decent (you can read zoomed in, zoomed out, or with guided view), and I'm actually gradually getting used to reading with their app on my iPhone too. On my phone I have it set to always first show the full two-page spread upon turning the page, then go into the panel-by-panel guided view. It's not ideal, for sure, but it's good for reading random free comics and comics that I'm interested in but not enough to pay floppy price for.

Basically the only layout I can think of that is really fucked with by the reader is something like New 52 Batman #5, which has a part where you have to physically turn the book around as you read it, imitating the labyrinthine setting of that issue. And that's one very specific case, so it's not really enough to damn the whole format, I think.
  • Shadow Complex I've been meaning to finish. But what I want is a metroidvania on my portable console.
    Monster Tale was sort of Metroidvania-ish on the DS. I didn't get very far in it but it was pretty fun.
  • Shadow Complex I've been meaning to finish. But what I want is a metroidvania on my portable console.
    Have you played all the portable Metroids?
    Have you played all the portable Metroids?
    ZERO MISSION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Possibly the best Metroid game. I personally rate it over Super, but I can see both sides of the argument.

• Are comics really still completed on paper and then scanned these days? I was under the impression that even if drawn or inked on paper, the final colouring and lettering is done on computers. Exporting to Comixology and exporting a PDF file for the printer seems to be the part where the process splits again.

Not that I read any comics, on tablets or on paper.
  • Are comics really still completed on paper and then scanned these days? I was under the impression that even if drawn or inked on paper, the final colouring and lettering is done on computers. Exporting to Comixology and exporting a PDF file for the printer seems to be the part where the process splits again.

Not that I read any comics, on tablets or on paper.
    Depends on the comic.
  • Picking up that Saga first trade after work. Looks dope.
  • Picking up that Saga first trade after work. Looks dope.
    It actually reminds me of Aeon Flux.

Has anyone re-watched Aeon Flux recently? Does it hold up?

• Has anyone re-watched Aeon Flux recently? Does it hold up?
    Cartoon or movie?
  • Lol, the movie shouldn't exist.
  • Lol, the movie shouldn't exist.
    No doubt, but the rifftrack for it is pretty good.
  • Has anyone re-watched Aeon Flux recently? Does it hold up?
    Cartoon or movie?
    Yes, the cartoon :)

I remember liking it a lot.
  • Fun, unique visually and in its themes,... and weird.

I refreshed a little on it a little and I still like it. It does feel a little disjointed at times, but I think it still deserves a watch.
  • Saga seems to be pretty hot it's sold out at the two comic shops I tried and at b&n. I just ordered off amazon.
  • A commenter under /r/rpg's Why the obsession with combat-focused campaigns? linked your Beyond Dungeons & Dragons panel.
  • OMG, the creators of The Reward cosplayed their characters.

More here.
  • On the Saga front: issue 10 just came out, and here is what I have to say about its ending
    [spoiler]
  • I just finished reading it too and I am the same way.

( ゚д゚)
  • Issue 11 gave me many feels of both happy and sad. Tears were shed.also that first letter to BKV was pretty adorable.
  • Issue 11 gave me many feels of both happy and sad. Tears were shed.also that first letter to BKV was pretty adorable.
    Ah, Saga. I'm off to read that right now!

• edited April 2013
    Bullshit:

Apple banning iOS apps from releasing Saga #12 due to gay sex scenes.

Edit: well Comixology support tweeted at me: @cmxsupport: @RosakaM You will be able to buy it via our website and it will sync to your app.

So that's good news. Seriously though, so stupid of Apple.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • WTF???

Hope I can buy it from NZ.
  • It's good that there's a way around it, but man, the principle of the thing is still the freshest bullshit. Goddamn.

To be fair, looking at the images in question, I think this is the first time the series has shown actual penises. That might be why this is the first time this has happened, moreso than the gay angle.

Still, even if that's the case (and I have major doubts that the gay angle has no bearing), it doesn't matter: it's still bullshit. Considering the explicitness of other sexy and violent images shown in the series so far? This is like claiming that the teeny tiny black stripes they put over clitorises/penis heads in hardcore hentai are doing their job to protect the childrens. Censoring one slightly more explicit bit of an already explicit work is pointless at best and grossly insulting at worst.
  • Looks like it was a misunderstanding.
    Concluding the Saga #12 saga
    Posted on April 10th, 2013 - 13:49 PM by David Steinberger
    To our customers -

In the last 24 hours there has been a lot of chatter about Apple banning Saga #12 from our Comics App on the Apple App Store due to depictions of gay sex. This is simply not true, and we’d like to clarify.

As a partner of Apple, we have an obligation to respect its policies for apps and the books offered in apps. Based on our understanding of those policies, we believed that Saga #12 could not be made available in our app, and so we did not release it today.

We did not interpret the content in question as involving any particular sexual orientation, and frankly that would have been a completely irrelevant consideration under any circumstance.

Given this, it should be clear that Apple did not reject Saga #12.

After hearing from Apple this morning, we can say that our interpretation of its policies was mistaken. You’ll be glad to know that Saga #12 will be available on our App Store app soon.

We apologize to Saga creator Brian K. Vaughan and Image Comics for any confusion this may have caused.

All the best,

David Steinberger
    CEO and co-founder
    comiXolog