This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Android: Netrunner

Comments

• Hurry up Cyber Exodus spoilers... *refreshes browser*
    Let me know when.
  • Just played and won my first game ever. I played runner, using the Shaper core starter deck against a core Jinteki starter. This game just became my jam.
  • Just played and won my first game ever. I played runner, using the Shaper core starter deck against a core Jinteki starter. This game just became my jam.
    Any rules confusion? It can be a lot to learn first time.

• Not really. I did a lot of homework before my first game, so I had the basic turn structure down. The only thing that I needed clarification on was the recurring credits on the Toolbox. I had thought that they wouldn't be available until the beginning of the turn after the Toolbox was installed, but that's not correct; they're available immediately and only refresh at the beginning of the turn.
  • Not really. I did a lot of homework before my first game, so I had the basic turn structure down. The only thing that I needed clarification on was the recurring credits on the Toolbox. I had thought that they wouldn't be available until the beginning of the turn after the Toolbox was installed, but that's not correct; they're available immediately and only refresh at the beginning of the turn.
    Aha, nice.

Here is a rule that tripped me up back in the CCG days, and was the first thing I checked when playing A:NR - Did you know that you can break ANY piece of ICE with ANY Ice Breaker? You just can't break the sub-routines...

So if you run into an ICE that has no "end the run" (ETR) subs, you can match it's strength with any breaker, suffer the subs and keep on going.

That is why ETR is so important. Otherwise, runner can just smash through, take a hit, and keep on going.

I realise you didn't ask that question, but it NEVER occurred to me to do this, for the longest time! Sentry that traces? Smash through with a battering ram (Barrier breaker), take the trace, keep going... :)

• Huh. I never even thought about that. Awesome! Thanks :)
    Aha, nice.

Here is a rule that tripped me up back in the CCG days, and was the first thing I checked when playing A:NR - Did you know that you can break ANY piece of ICE with ANY Ice Breaker? You just can't break the sub-routines...

So if you run into an ICE that has no "end the run" (ETR) subs, you can match it's strength with any breaker, suffer the subs and keep on going.

That is why ETR is so important. Otherwise, runner can just smash through, take a hit, and keep on going.

I realise you didn't ask that question, but it NEVER occurred to me to do this, for the longest time! Sentry that traces? Smash through with a battering ram (Barrier breaker), take the trace, keep going... :)

You are playing incredibly wrong. You don't have to match the strength of an ice to keep going. You just keep going.

Let's say I run into a neural katana. It's a strength 3 sentry. It has one subroutine that does 3 net damage. Let's say I have no icebreakers at all. None. I can still take 3 damage and keep going. You don't have to break ice. There is no ice. There are only subroutines.
  • edited February 2013
    Not really. I did a lot of homework before my first game, so I had the basic turn structure down. The only thing that I needed clarification on was the recurring credits on the Toolbox. I had thought that they wouldn't be available until the beginning of the turn after the Toolbox was installed, but that's not correct; they're available immediately and only refresh at the beginning of the turn.
    Aha, nice.

You are playing incredibly wrong. You don't have to match the strength of an ice to keep going. You just keep going.

Let's say I run into a neural katana. It's a strength 3 sentry. It has one subroutine that does 3 net damage. Let's say I have no icebreakers at all. None. I can still take 3 damage and keep going. You don't have to break ice. There is no ice. There are only subroutines.
    Oh man... :/

This game....

Edit: OK, well I guess the original intention of my post still stands... You CAN get past ICE without the correct breaker (or any breaker ALL, apparently), but if you do not need to match the strength, you will save a ton of money... Awesome for the runner!

And again, ETR subs are so essential if you want to protect a server...

Post edited by InvaderREN on
  • I got more sleeves and another Fantasy Flight big box to hold the sleeved cards. I plan on buying another Core set soon enough. I decided to mess around with the cardboard insert like that one guy in the video Scott linked to have all my box space available to me, but still keep the insert in showing the art.

I found an easy work through by just folding the two short sides in half of the middle art and using that as a divider. Works pretty well.

• edited February 2013
    Cool vid, and again, the genius of Netrunner - the forced corp card draw each turn.

Tick... Tick... Tick...
    Post edited by InvaderREN on
  • So there is a group called Team Covenent who are pretty much the #1 place for LCG stuff. They offer subscriptions, so you don't miss anything. Thinking I will get this.

http://teamcovenant.com/store/covenant-lcg-subscription
  • I played a bunch last night at the meetup against people way better than me. My running is still good, but it isn't perfected.

My biggest weakness is just not knowing all the cards. That means I fail to consider all the possibilities. Even if I know all the cards, I don't remember them at the critical moment. For example, I forgot Neural EMP existed, so I died. There are some cards in the new box that are really going to boost my power.

For corporation, I still suck. I can barely score agendas. However, I did learn a lot, and I rejiggered my deck to make it much better. Can't wait to try it out.
  • I should have some free time this weekend to play via G+. I'll let you know. I need to test out my decks vs. Jeremy. I did a few minor changes, nothing major.

But yeah, I totally agree with having the advantage if you knew all the cards. I wish I had the time/energy to seriously study them. For me the easiest way is to just play the crap out of my current decks and then make other decks and play them to know all the cards. People who just know all that stuff already amaze me. However, they could have been playing a lot longer when the game did first come out.

Most of us on here recently got into it.
  • I have nothing doing today, and a new corp deck that takes into account what I learned on Friday. So anyone with cards, feel free to webcam me.
  • I would play you but I've played like... Twice and I'd probably just use the recommended deck.
  • I would play you but I've played like... Twice and I'd probably just use the recommended deck.
    That is acceptable.
    That is acceptable.
    Even having played twice you can probably sub out a couple of cards. If nothing else, sub in a couple of Inside Jobs into your runner deck and a couple of Toll Booths into your corp. It will give you a fighting chance.

Bring in another console as well, any one, take your pick.
  • I probably wont have time to play today but another weekend I'd be down. I'll look over the cards some more to try and make some custom decks.
  • Went to the game store earlier today and bought some card sleeves. Decided not to buy enough to sleeve all my cards but I think I'll buy some more. Holy shit I hate card sleeves. They're slipping and sliding all over the place
  • They'll tack up. Little bit of shuffling and it'll work itself out.
  • Haha hopefully they do because trying to put them back in the box is like wrestling a greased up pig.
  • The Fantasy Flight deck boxes will hold both a corp and runner deck fully sleeved (as long as they are 100 cards combined or less) along with the identity cards. We bought a couple Really Useful Boxes from Office Max that were the right size for the cards (0.3 liter) to put the excess cards in, and we use a couple of smaller RUBs for the tokens (one for credits, the other for everything else).

Just make sure you get high quality sleeves so that they last. We are using the Fantasy Flight sleeves, but I would assume the Mayday games sleeves would work well, or if you can find high quality sleeves in another brand.
  • edited February 2013
    I'm using fantasy flight so I got that part right. That was basically the only sleeves they had available. I think there were some others but they were kinda hidden in the back.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • Messed around and made a Jinteki deck. Jinteki is really brutal when it comes to making a Runner think twice about accessing remote server cards.

Also found this random local Netrunner group that does local tournaments. It's a bit far from us, but we may just go if we don't find something more local.

I honestly prefer playing Corporation more than Runner. I just prefer playing defensive than offensive.
  • edited February 2013
    A lot of people play at Card Kingdom but that place is pretty consistently packed.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • edited February 2013
    I always forget about Card Kingdom. I've never been there.

Edit: They do their Netrunner on Sunday evenings at 7PM. That's like 2 hours from the time I start winding down in bed to go to sleep. :(
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Oh yeah, so the Cyber Exodus spoiler is up, I was waiting for the visual spoiler.

http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/netrunner/android-netrunner-card-spoilers/_/genesis/cyber-exodus/
  • I'm going to rock test run so hard. Also might use Snitch and/or public sympathy.

On the corp side I like chimera as an early game ice. End of the World is good at pretending to be a melange. Commercialization can rock in Weyland decks. Sunset obviously awesome with cell portals. I also feel like pop-up window has a place.