This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Android: Netrunner

Comments

• I feel like Pop-up window is bloody fantastic. It makes Inside Job just a little bit fairer, any 2 or 3 ICE server can be boosted to 3 or 4 with the pop-up, meaning they cannot bypass your "real" ICE.

Test Spin obviously is great, for any runner, and I don't need to explain why. (Tutor, deck consistency etc)

But for sure, the card that HAS to be the best card is Emergency Shutdown... I just don't even know where to begin. Playing Corp just got REALLY scary.
  • I only glanced at the cards. They look to be all kinds of fun.

As for Card Kingdom, since Monday is a gubment holiday I can stay late. I'll be going there to check out tricks. Stupid hour drive.
  • Yeah I'm gonna hit them up to get the first and new expansion packs and some more card sleeves.
  • So the local tournament this month is on Saturday. We decided in accordance with the official tournament rules that all released cards are permissible. That includes Cyber Exodus. The problem is that I just got an annual subscription with Team Covenant. This means I will get all the cards in the mail automatically. But it takes awhile. I probably would not be getting the cards from them in time for the tournament. So I went to the store and bought Cyber Exodus just now. I'll sell the one that comes in the mail to Rym or whoever else wants it.

I hope I do not have to do this in the future and that the subscribed cards will be delivered in time for the tournament.
  • It's out now! The local game store did not call me. Perhaps they haven't received their shipment yet. I'll be calling them when they open up! I want my cards.
  • So the local tournament this month is on Saturday. We decided in accordance with the official tournament rules that all released cards are permissible. That includes Cyber Exodus. The problem is that I just got an annual subscription with Team Covenant. This means I will get all the cards in the mail automatically. But it takes awhile. I probably would not be getting the cards from them in time for the tournament. So I went to the store and bought Cyber Exodus just now. I'll sell the one that comes in the mail to Rym or whoever else wants it.

I hope I do not have to do this in the future and that the subscribed cards will be delivered in time for the tournament.
    Yeah, you don't want to be the ONE guy in the tournament not packing 3 Emergency Shutdowns :)

Yeah, you don't want to be the ONE guy in the tournament not packing 3 Emergency Shutdowns :)

Not sure if want...
  • You play Shaper right? I guess you will be packing a couple Test Spins or some such. Maybe a Dino. Cut 1 or 2 ICE breakers for the spins.

I still love Pop-up Window. What is that corp card that you can sac an ICE to gain 4 credits? Pop-up window seems like a nice synergy with that too.
  • You play Shaper right? I guess you will be packing a couple Test Spins or some such. Maybe a Dino. Cut 1 or 2 ICE breakers for the spins.

I still love Pop-up Window. What is that corp card that you can sac an ICE to gain 4 credits? Pop-up window seems like a nice synergy with that too.
    I don't think I'm going to use the dino, I'll stick with toolbox. I'm definitely going to take out some icebreakers and put in three test runs. I'm also going to drop the rabbit holes and put in snitch to get some more early runs before my rig is ready.
  • I'm not sure about Snitch. It clearly has it's uses, you won't be running into a random Roto Turret, but with 3 Test Spins, you know you can just regrow a key program should you get hit.

Test Spin is the business! Oh man, Opus will hit play every game, so fast.

Personal Workshop looks amazing too. It's basically 1 credit per turn.
  • I'm not sure about Snitch. It clearly has it's uses, you won't be running into a random Roto Turret, but with 3 Test Spins, you know you can just regrow a key program should you get hit.

Test Spin is the business! Oh man, Opus will hit play every game, so fast.

Personal Workshop looks amazing too. It's basically 1 credit per turn.
    Test run is great. Opus already hits every game right away, so now it's just even more guaranteed. Workshop I figure as just an alternative to modded. I prefer modded since it's faster.

Here's why I like snitch. Almost everybody I play plays once ice in front of R+D and one in front of HQ to start the game. That once ice is going to be whatever happened to be in their hand. It might be evil. It might not be. It is often a bluff or a crappy ice like a lone chum. It is also often too expensive for them to rez right away, like a tollbooth. Still, if they have four credits, I'm still scared to run without my full rig or tinkering. Snitch means I can run against those one-ice early game servers without my full rig and without any fear. Worst case they rez an evil ice, and I just bail. Best case I can get in an extra maker's eye or account siphon.

Still, I'm considering it because, as I said, tinkering does the same job and has actually a guarantee of getting through. But snitch doesn't require using a click and doesn't have limited uses.
  • I have a question actually. Can you install ice in any position you want to, or can you rearrange if they're not rezzed? The specific situation was that I had Chum in my hand on my first time playing Corp and I wanted to place an ICE as a bluff but of course I wanted to put something behind it so it's not useless. I tried looking it up in the manual but couldn't find anything about it. Maybe I just missed something?
  • I have a question actually. Can you install ice in any position you want to, or can you rearrange if they're not rezzed? The specific situation was that I had Chum in my hand on my first time playing Corp and I wanted to place an ICE as a bluff but of course I wanted to put something behind it so it's not useless. I tried looking it up in the manual but couldn't find anything about it. Maybe I just missed something?
    No. When you install an ICE in a server, it always goes in the frontmost open position on that server. If you want, you can trash any ICE in the server when you install. Otherwise, you cannot rearrange the ICE unless a card tells you to. So far there is only one such card, and it just came out in Cyber Exodus. This is very clearly in the rulebook under the section about installing ICE.
  • Oh yeah you're right. Not sure how I missed that when I was looking through the rulebook. I somehow also missed the part about an install cost for installing ICE. I thought it only cost a counter to install.
  • There are a lot of little rules in Netrunner, I was playing incorrectly in regards to bypassing ICE, I assumed you still had to equal the strength if you wanted to eat the subs, but you don't. You just eat the subs and carry on!
  • The one I specifically paid attention to even though I didn't expect it to happen often was that you needed less than 0 hand size to flatline. I could see someone thinking that once it was zero the runner flatlines.
  • edited February 2013
    Read all the rules in the book multiple times. Read every word. Do not skip words! Watch videos of people playing on YouTube. Play with people who know how to play. Do not get it wrong!
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited February 2013
    Read all the rules in the book multiple times. Read every word. Do not skip words! Watch videos of people playing on YouTube. Play with people who know how to play. Do not get it wrong!
    How would I know if they know how to play since they might not know the stuff I don't know and neither of us would know that we didn't know?

I hate reading rulebooks and then just playing because I learn a lot better from example so I often just play with other people who are learning and then we figure stuff out on the go. I did read through the book once before I started playing though.

I have been meaning to watch that tutorial video.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • I find on a card by card basis, you can usually track down a ruling on BGG or a random forum. However, yes, you DO need to read EVERY line of the rule book for this game!

Femme Fatale: The ICE you choose... You do not need to increase strength to break the subs, you can just rip them apart for 1 credit each. Ignore strength. I wasn't sure, but I found that out today.

Again, I just play with friends, so they are none the wiser either!
  • That's why I have you guys and the internet. I have read the rules and FAQs several times over.

That Nisei Agenda card from Jinteki is messed up with the Corp can score it. You can basically make a runner waste money on a run and right before the access phase, use the counter on it to end the run.

When also playing it with the Jinteki Corp card that doesn't allow runs on remote servers until it runs on at least one of the central servers first is just mean. I love it. I am really thinking of switching my main Corp deck from Haas-Bioroid to Jinteki.
  • edited February 2013
    That's why I have you guys and the internet. I have read the rules and FAQs several times over.

That Nisei Agenda card from Jinteki is messed up with the Corp can score it. You can basically make a runner waste money on a run and right before the access phase, use the counter on it to end the run.

When also playing it with the Jinteki Corp card that doesn't allow runs on remote servers until it runs on at least one of the central servers first is just mean. I love it. I am really thinking of switching my main Corp deck from Haas-Bioroid to Jinteki.
    Jinteki is almost universally agreed upon to be the weakest corp. I've been playing it anyway because hard mode.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Why is it the weakest?
  • Why is it the weakest?
    It doesn't have a lot of strong ice. It heavily depends on the shell game and bluffing. Also, it has the weakest economy. It can only do a little bit of damage at a time, and only if the runner is careless. NBN and Weyland cast fast advance Agendas safely behind nasty ice and directly kill with tag + bag. HB has evil ICE and has a powerful economy.
  • Yeah, that's right. I did notice that about the economy. I had to put in Pad Campaign and a Melange Mining Corp for my economy.

It has some really good bluffing trap/assets. I put a few of the Weyland cards of Shipment from Kaguya in there to help advance cards.
  • edited February 2013
    That was the first Corp I played and I was against a runner whose entire game was economy so it was kinda difficult to keep enough money to screw them. They do have a couple cards that can fuck people over but not many that are really effective.

Cell portal can be fun to use.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • As long as you can get the cards out in the order and have Sensei > Chum > Cell Portal, I almost feel bad for the runner.
  • I still have not had a chance to pick this up nor play any games due to the only 2 friends I know who own it have lives with kids so that makes getting the time difficult.

All that said, I have the fever pretty bad. I've been reading all the spoilers and getting as much info as I can. I'm leaning toward Anarchs and Jinteki for my factions. Does anyone here play those regularly?
  • I started out with Anarch, but switched to Criminal for Econ (as well as Ro playing shaper, so smaller card pool there). I probably didn't have enough econ in my Anarch deck, but the Corp can set Anarch back pretty far by using a turn to purge all of the virus counters. I have played against Ro with her playing Jinteki. They are quite evil with their ambushes. Back them up with a couple of strong econ cards and a couple End the Run Ice, and they are kind of tough to get around.
  • Would you say three Armitage, three Sure Gamble, and three cyberfeeder would be enough? Just running scenarios in my head, it seems pretty a good amount but I don't have any experiential data as yet.

I will admit that part of my lure to Jinteki is that overwhelmingly people seem to think Haus-Bioroid is the best Corp. It's the contrarian in me. I also do like the idea of cards like Fetal AI where they could access it and be unable to afford scoring it. NBN also seems interesting but I can't know how much I like them until I see how runners react to the trace mechanic.
  • edited February 2013
    Also, I saw that the corp can purge every virus counter as a turn and while that is daunting, I think it can be gotten around.

Parasite seems to be the primary driver of Anarchs and what they are trying to do. I'm vasilating as to run two or three Djinn specifically so I can find and aggressively play the Parasites. Early game Imps also seem to be very good with them being a good drop then run virus so you can get them used should the corp decide to purge.

I'm a little shaky on cards like Medium and Nerve Agent. Those seem to beg the Corp to not only make the defense on that particular server much worse than it ought to be but also begs them to purge if the card gets too many counters. I think there are limits to how obvious a good play you want purging to be. Commit too much and it's a derp move but be just right with them and you can put the screws to the Corp.

Edit - Consoles in general but Grimoire specifically since I'm referring to Anarchs, how many is enough? I'm assuming three but do you think you can get away with 2 and draw it reasonably consistently assuming 3 Diesel and a Wyldside in the deck?
    Post edited by Dromaro on