This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Hair

edited March 2013 in Suggestions
As both Rym and Scott are on both ends of the hair spectrum, and have been to the lands between, I'd like to hear the knowing on the matter.

Comments

• Rym had long hair a good portion of his life and likes long hair.

Scott was getting bald and found it easier to just shave.

The End.
  • Hair, some people have it, some do not. Most people like to pay people to cut their hair in fashionable styles.
  • I prefer burning gang signs into my scalp.
  • There are worms that live in your hair follicles.
  • I've gotten significantly more compliments about my general appearance since I grew my hair out. It, obviously, does require more maintenance, but not so much that it is prohibitive.

HOWEVER.

If you enjoy driving with the windows down or doing things that require you to hunch/bend over (soldering, for example), be prepared to wear a hair tie or, until it gets long enough for a hair tie to actually work, a head band. Also, you will shed like hell.
  • When I began growing my hair all the shedding gave me quite the bald scare.
  • The upshot is, if you are like me (going grey at a young age), long hair lets you hide the greys easier.
  • I've gotten significantly more compliments about my general appearance since I grew my hair out.
    I've gotten significantly more complaints about my general appearance since I grew my hair out.

• My friend has an afro, and he often gets compliments on it, to the point where it scares him. 2 days ago, he relayed the story of how, while sitting in a restaurant, a small (5-ish) girl came over and said "I think your hair is pretty".
  • Truly terrifying.
  • Longer thick hair is both a blessing and a curse. There have been so many instances where I just want to chop it all off, but I know it won't look good.
  • I had long hair from when I was 16 to about the end of last year, when I finally got it cut. I actually need to go get it trimmed again this weekend because it's starting to be 70s hair and I need it to be manageable for a PAX cosplay.
  • I've been trying to grow my hair out but apparently the place I go to get it cut is a bit uncompromising (and cheap) so I've had little success. Apparently the two balding dudes at the place REALLY like to buzz things down. I managed to stop them from taking the "top" of my head, but my sides all the way up to the top are down to a #2.

As for hair care... I specifically try to buy unscented shampoo/conditioner and I don't use any product. Apparently some of the ladies like the "feel" of my hair, though I know not why.
  • If it weren't for the constant need to shave, I'd just go bald. My wife has forbidden it, but that probably wouldn't stop me.

Since I can't just go cue ball without a lot of maintenance, I just let it grow, cut it all off down to a very short buzz cut when it gets too unruly, and donate it to Locks of Love. I send them a foot long bundle of thick Samson-like locks about every 18 months.
  • Been growing my hair out since I was 15 or so. I never looked good with really short hair so there it is. I keep it somewhere between just below my shoulder blades and have had it down to my waist before.

It's creepy how many times in my life women give you those wide eyes and ask "Can I touch your hair?". I probably shouldn't have been so freaked out about it but far too often women get REALLY excited at this opportunity.
  • Girls stopped asking to touch my hair when I got overweight and my first gray hair showed up. So... my advice would be that if it bothers you, become unattractive. BAM.
  • Girls stopped asking to touch my hair when I got overweight and my first gray hair showed up. So... my advice would be that if it bothers you, become unattractive. BAM.
    For science reasons!
  • These are my hair rules:

1) Find a barber. His shop should be named after him or a barber he works/worked with. The older and more conservative the better.
    2) Show him a picture of Don Draper. Ask for a "wave in front, part on right, taper in back." Get a straight-razor shave, too. You deserve it.
    3) Relax for the cut.
    4) Walk out feeling like a billion dollars.
    5) Tip 30%.
    6) Use a pomade.
  • You poor hipsters are gonna be so screwed when traditional Cuban/Italian/Hispanic-and-other-minority barbers finally all die off.
  • I go to a hipster barber on Capitol Hill, he cuts my hair like a hipster. I don't style it at all. I look damn good.
  • When I was in my teens and twenties, traditional barbers were all over the place. Their clientele all died off and so did they. Very few seem to be left around here.

Shit, we used to have one in a hallway of the hospital I work in, in an office that had been renovated into a barber shop. He had a candy stripe pole and everything. Gone now.

I used to get my haircut at a traditional barber across the hall from my pediatrician in the same office building as a kid. Pole and everything, outside his door in the hallway.
  • Tons of barbers around here.
  • I imagine in metro areas they're probably still all over the place and there are probably young ones as well.

In suburban Connecticut, they're pretty much gone. I think we have one in our town where we used to have five.
  • 5 years ago I bought clippers. I trim on a #3 once every 2-3 months. Use a hand mirror for tapering the back and sides. Have saved a short-vacation's worth of money.

Slowly but surely going grey.
  • 5 years ago I bought clippers. I trim on a #3 once every 2-3 months. Use a hand mirror for tapering the back and sides. Have saved a short-vacation's worth of money.

Slowly but surely going grey.
    I spend $20 every 18 months on the length of my hair.
  • what are the criteria for being a traditional barber?
  • what are the criteria for being a traditional barber?
    Good question. I know one when I see one. I'd say if they do perms, they're not. It's hard to quantify.
  • If they keep accidentally pressing their junk against your arm when you're sitting the chair they're probably a traditional barber. :|
  • If you're actually concerned about barber junk you're probably a little too uptight for your own good.

Unless they start grinding you, I'd get over it.