This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Looking for Play testers

edited May 2013 in Board Games
I figured I would try to start a new thread for anyone who is interested in helping fellow forum members play test creations by other people. This could be in person, if possible, or via other methods such as Print and Play. I created a game a few weeks ago and would like to get input if possible from other people. The game plays rather simply and I have it available as a print and play version that I can email to anyone interested. Send me a message if you are interested in trying it out.
The game is called Blockade Blitz, and players take turns placing walls on the board and moving their pawns around the board. The object is to be the last player to be able to move. The game plays rather quickly too; approximately 15-20 minutes. Everything needed to play is included in the print and play version other than scissors, tape and card sleeves (penny sleeves work fine).

Comments

• I like this idea. I'm attempting to put together an RPG for Free RPG Day, so if I feel good enough about it to show it to anybody, I'll post it here too.
  • A whole system or an adventure for an existing one?
  • A new system and a ~1 hour demo scenario. I don't expect it to be great, but I've gotta start somewhere. I want a not-set-up-for-combat game that allows for second chances at the expense of quality of life. We'll see where it ends up.
  • Is there a way to post files for these types of things in the forum, or does it have to be done outside via email or other communications?
  • You can write an <a> tag and link to something like a dropbox public URL
  • Yeah. Vanilla doesn't support it directly. Dropbox is a near perfect solution for small scale sharing. Like I've done with friends for other....ummmm.....media backup. Yeah, that's the ticket.
  • https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3lydjntk48q3sbz/8tHMX9dIyg
    That is a link for the PDF files for the game. After printing a copy and putting it all together, I think the cards, and board pieces go well with card stock quality paper, and the wall tents and the rules can be normal copy paper. The backs for the cards are optional, though putting the cards in sleeves with something to give them more thickness (like a deck of playing cards; poker size) works best.
  • So far, play tests for blockade blitz have gone well. Supernatural Selection Tests have been few and far between, but that is partially due to other distractions, and will soon be remedied. I am going over another overhaul on one of the mechanics for the game too.
    I finally looked into other avenues for finding play testers, and may travel a bit next weekend to attend a group of people who do nothing but testing, if I can get my game overhaul finished, and afford to reprint it...

I also had another dream about a board game that I have never played or seen before, and am not sure if it even exists... It involved picking up cargo from shipping ports (maybe illicit cargo), and then getting away. I am not sure what mechanics or genre to use, but it's a start.
  • Have you considered attending an UnPub event?
  • I've been to their site a few times. It doesn't look like they have events locally (Seattle area). I recently have been using meetup.com to find groups, and found a couple. After I get my mechanics changes in, I still need to try to update the rules, and print a fresh copy. I am hoping to go to one of the meet ups (through Game Salute) in about a week and a half.

Also, the link above still works for a P&P version of Blockade Blitz if anyone wants to print it and give it a try.
  • I have updated the files for Blockade Blitz after receiving some feedback from a few play testing sessions. The graphics have been updated, and some changes to the rules.

Also, on another note, I started using meetup.com to find some like minded individuals in my area.
  • I also had another dream about a board game that I have never played or seen before, and am not sure if it even exists... It involved picking up cargo from shipping ports (maybe illicit cargo), and then getting away. I am not sure what mechanics or genre to use, but it's a start.
    Merchants and Marauders?
  • Is that a game? Or a suggestion for a title?
  • I was able to play test Blockade Blitz several times at PAX this year, including with both Rym, and Scott. They both liked it, and I received a lot of feedback. The game is going through a Theme change as well as a name change due to the new theme. There will be a few mechanical differences as well, to increase replay value. I am planning on updating the files soon, and will post them here as well.
  • Merchants and Marauders is a real game, and a very poor one at that. It tries so hard, and comes so close, but ultimately suffers from giving players way too much leeway to "play it wrong" and have the game turn into a disaster.
  • Here it is! Hedge-Maze Hijinks! (formerly Blockade Blitz) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3lydjntk48q3sbz/8tHMX9dIyg

Make sure to read the play tester instructions first! Tell me what you think!