This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Pacific Rim

Comments

• Well then maybe we'll get a magma submerged knife fight.
  • Well then maybe we'll get a magma submerged knife fight.
    I'm hoping more for the sniper rifle that uses all the electricity from the entire power plant.
  • I don't get the two pilots thing. I expected it to be more like an aircraft gunner or navigator or something. Or at the least a backup. Not synchronized swimming.
    Synchronized mecha piloting looks cool, and with that film cool looking things is the only thing I'm waiting for.

• Professional ice skating dance things also look cool, but I'd rather watch hockey.
  • I don't get the two pilots thing. I expected it to be more like an aircraft gunner or navigator or something. Or at the least a backup. Not synchronized swimming.
    One is controlling the left side, one the right, but they're neurally linked to be in-sync so that it isn't just a multiple-thousand ton 3-legged race. Apparently.

Also, still trying to figure out where there were more Australian actors in a movie about the American Civil War(The Patriot) than there is in Pacific Rim.

• Also, still trying to figure out where there were more Australian actors in a movie about the American Civil War(The Patriot) than there is in Pacific Rim.
    By in large, Americans don't give wet fart about movies about the (American) War for Independence, so Hollywood is more than willing to spread the roles around. They are a tad less willing to share roles in a sweet giant robot movie.

That's my ill informed theory anyways.
  • Official US trailer, I guess?

• That oil tanker/baseball bat still makes me grin.
  • http://herocomplex.latimes.com/movies/guillermo-del-toro-shares-his-aspirations-for-urasawas-monster/

Ok, so I know we are all seeing the 100% obvious Evangelion action in Pacific Rim. Well, it turns out that the director is the huge anime and manga fan. Not only does he know Urasawa, he even knows Domu. Fuck, the dude says the words "Master Keaton" as part of his answer. Gives me some confidence for Pacific Rim, and even more for live action Monster. Hopefully Live Action Monster will get people to read the manga.
  • edited June 2013
    http://herocomplex.latimes.com/movies/guillermo-del-toro-shares-his-aspirations-for-urasawas-monster/

Ok, so I know we are all seeing the 100% obvious Evangelion action in Pacific Rim. Well, it turns out that the director is the huge anime and manga fan. Not only does he know Urasawa, he even knows Domu. Fuck, the dude says the words "Master Keaton" as part of his answer. Gives me some confidence for Pacific Rim, and even more for live action Monster. Hopefully Live Action Monster will get people to read the manga.
    Hopefully they reprint Monster, as some of the volumes are stupid expensive online. Even better would be if they reprinted it in 3-in-1 volumes like they're doing for Vagabond and the other Viz Big stuff. Also, they need to reprint faster. It's ridiculous that Slam Dunk, which finished in 1996, isn't even fully out yet in the US. The last volume comes out in December. Taking 5 years to publish an already completed series is gross incompetence.

Post edited by jabrams007 on
  • I tried watching the Monster Anime. I made it about 25 episodes in but couldn't bring myself to continue or find the time.
  • Hopefully they reprint Monster, as some of the volumes are stupid expensive online. Even better would be if they reprinted it in 3-in-1 volumes like they're doing for Vagabond and the other Viz Big stuff. Also, they need to reprint faster. It's ridiculous that Slam Dunk, which finished in 1996, isn't even fully out yet in the US. The last volume comes out in December. Taking 5 years to publish an already completed series is gross incompetence.
    That's why I stopped reading Monster. Bought first few volumes before realizing that some of them are impossible to find. Really should just read the scans online at some point.

• I have all of Monster. Should I sell it? I would need some guarantee of that reprint, though. And if the reprint happens, suddenly it's no longer worth it to sell the old ones.
  • Scan it. Sell it.
  • Scan it. Sell it.
  • Buy it, use it, break it, fix it Trash it, change it, mail upgrade it Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it Snap it, work it, quick erase it.

Write it, cut it, paste it, save it Load it, check it, quick rewrite it Plug it, play it, burn it, rip it Drag and drop it, zip unzip it.

Lock it, fill it, curl it, find it View it, coat it, jam unlock it Surf it, scroll it, pose it, click it Cross it, crack it, twitch update it.

Name it, rate it, tune it, print it Scan it, send it, fax, rename it Touch it, bring it, pay it, watch it Turn it, leave it, stop format it Turn it, leave it, stop format it Turn it, leave it, stop format it.

Technologic.
  • I need this movie like I need to breathe.
  • Ok, so I know we are all seeing the 100% obvious Evangelion action in Pacific Rim. Well, it turns out that the director is the huge anime and manga fan... Gives me some confidence for Pacific Rim,
    "The director"? Have you seen Pan's Labyrinth? The quality of that film should give you all the confidence you need.
  • Ok, so I know we are all seeing the 100% obvious Evangelion action in Pacific Rim. Well, it turns out that the director is the huge anime and manga fan... Gives me some confidence for Pacific Rim,
    "The director"? Have you seen Pan's Labyrinth? The quality of that film should give you all the confidence you need.
    Pan's Labyrinth was okish.
  • I've been waiting for a Big O movie, I guess this will do.
  • "The director"? Have you seen Pan's Labyrinth? The quality of that film should give you all the confidence you need.
    Yeah. Going to have to disagree there. It was pretty great. The puppeteering of Pan along with the scary monster. That is one of the most scariest monsters I've seen that I'm very glad I never had in my nightmares.
  • Pan's Labyrinth was the first movie I turned off because it was too good. I was scared shitless before the monsters even showed up.

In my defense, I was 11 or so.
  • edited June 2013
    New Featurette. Which reminds me, I need to buy my IMAX tickets for my friends and myself.

My friends also made me borrow this animeGiant Robo that I need to watch before we see it. They say it's more apropos to this movie than EVA. I forget the name.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
    I'll just point out at this juncture that Scott does not like Firefly, and thus all of his opinions on visual entertainment are null and void.

But let's be honest: giant robots can't possibly go wrong.

• I really don't care about the objective quality of this movie. I'm certain it will be an entertaining use of my two hours. And if paying to see it means that the chances of Del Toro's Live Action Monster happening are increased even slightly, then I'm on board.
  • My friends also made me borrow this animeGiant Robo that I need to watch before we see it. They say it's more apropos to this movie than EVA. I forget the name.
    Yes. Giant Robo is also awesome, and only seven episodes.

• "Something you don't see in movies..." Spoken over big robots fighting in a city. Like most big scifi movies recently.

"You've never seen anything like it before" spoken over a shot that could have come from any one of 20 movies I've seen in the last ten years.

Get back to me on this one.
  • Oh, this reminds me.
    Giant Robo most awesome entrance scene!

• edited June 2013
    I need this movie like I need to breathe.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Giant robot swinging a big ass boat. Pure Evangelion. Love it!
    (I just watched the entirety of Eva for the first time less than a week ago, so I'll take anything I can get with big robots at the moment).