This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Pacific Rim

1234568»

Comments

• I would watch a Cherno Alpha TV series. I would watch it all the time.
    My Cherno Alpha public RP maxed out a 200 page thread in a week. People love the big guy!
    My Cherno Alpha public RP maxed out a 200 page thread in a week. People love the big guy!
    I'm reading through it now, it's fantastic.
    Where is it? I'd love to read it.

• edited August 2013
    I took a momentary leave of my senses and started running a public RPG about Cherno Alpha punching all the things.
    Here it is. Warning, Spacebattles servers basically crap out at random. (Like right as of writing. It's usually better off peak hours, but its been really atrocious recently. My quest, which is one of the fastest moving in the site's history, isn't helping...)

After a while I actually started drawing the Kaiju they fight, too, which has been super fun. I love designing them, especially the ones that look like they could conceivably be dudes in suits.
    Post edited by open_sketchbook on
  • edited August 2013
    Man, that Cherno, and those punches.

"Many Kaiju think they can outsmart me. Maybe. Maybe. But I have yet to see Kaiju that can outsmart piston punch."
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • "Many Kaiju think they can outsmart me. Maybe. Maybe. But I have yet to see Kaiju that can outsmart piston punch."
    Eet cost $200,000 to panch this kaiju... for twelve seconds.
  • Holy shit, there's a TVTropes page. Sketch, you're practically internet famous!

Now to not read it so I don't get spoiled...
  • edited August 2013
    There isn't too much to spoil yet. Mostly a lot of things getting punched.

Twists are coming though. I'm getting everyone settled in before I start throwing curveballs. I've already wound one up, so to speak, but they haven't followed up on it yet.

Feel free to sign up and play, if you catch up. Four or five people have joined that forum just to participate thus far, and nobody really cares on that forum if you only hang out in BROB or whatever.

I'm glad the Hardboiled system lends itself so well to shit getting punched in an entertaining fashion though. This is like, the best combat testing I could ever ask for.
    Post edited by open_sketchbook on
  • Holy shit, there's a TVTropes page. Sketch, you're practically internet famous!
    Fixed broken link.
  • Cherno Alpha vs the World now has, not one, but two official spinoffs, both run by other GMs using my ruleset!
  • Stolen from Linkigi's FB, but there's a Pacific Rim visual novel. Only the first chapter is out so far, and it's super short, but also super worth your time.
  • That is unbelievably correct.
  • After hearing from my friend what piece of crap and waste of time Pacific Rim was I finally got around seeing it myself. It was pretty much what I was expecting, not a timeless classic exploring deep eternal themes, but fun, exciting film definitely worth watching. Liked the action, story worked (outside of the whole stupid wall thing) and characters were kinda hit and miss, liked some, didn't really care for others and few just were there kinda neutrally.
  • The characters are incredibly flat and I didn't care about a single one of them. Redlettermedia nailed it in their review that it seems like a really well made B grade action flick. Actors that you've heard of before, delivering a forgettable performance, using a lousy script. Still the action scenes and visuals were worth it. You could usually tell what was happening on the screen unlike the Transformers movies.

I would have liked the movie more if it would have gone fully campy like Starship Troopers instead of riding the line between serious and camp. I feel for the Chinese teams in all of these international joint action stories. They are always in them because you can't ignore China's global presence but they always die first because its geared for a Western audience. The in-universe Jaegar designers ought to feel ashamed that they designed the cockpit to be in the head and not the torso.
  • edited October 2013
    The campiness and trope-ladeness is part of the genre it's mimicking. It's a perfectly polished representation of exactly what it set out to be.

I found the Jaeger dealer character a little annoying, but even he fits.
    Post edited by muppet on
  • My excites are many.
  • For fuck's sake, America. D'ya think that you could save the world just once in such a way that it stays saved?
  • Because world war 2 was totally our fault.

What? Oh, the treaty of Versailles was mostly our idea and it backed fired horribly? Shit.

I got nothing.
  • edited June 2014
    It was a passable action movie right up until 30 seconds before the end.

EDIT: above comment was completely out of context due to weird thread latency.
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • I'd have preferred it if the first movie had been about the early days of the jager bots and the second movie the one we got.
  • I'd have preferred it if the first movie had been about the early days of the jager bots and the second movie the one we got.

That would have been so much better. Not sure what the sequel will be like, but I believe you have to go much smaller or larger with a budget that's nearly twice as much as the original considering the way it ended.

Also, an animated series is planned. Yeah.
  • They could make it a prequel.
  • I would only watch a prequel if it had none of the original stars. Maybe just Idris Elba.
  • How about a prequel that covers the time between the one brother getting killed and the guy returning for the final battle?
  • How about we just drop all pretense of plot and the whole multi-pilot thing and just have robots fighting giant monsters all day. Thanks.
  • How about we just drop all pretense of plot and the whole multi-pilot thing and just have robots fighting giant monsters all day. Thanks.

Actually, yeah.

• The sequel will have the twist of giant monsters protecting the earth from giant robots. Then it drops the pretense halfway in and reveals its just a ruse to get people I'm to watch a madoka movie.