This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Puella Maji Madoka Majica

1235»

Comments

• There's still no use that makes the numbers agree. However, according to wikipedia at least, there is a Latin adjective "magicus", meaning "magical", that we can decline to feminine singular nominative, giving us the title "Magical Girl Madoka of the Mage", assuming that "magi" is intended to be genitive. The Japanese makes it obvious that they meant "Magical Witch Girl Madoka", but "magus, -i" is of course a noun of the wrong gender.
    That's an interesting bit of insight. Thank you. :)
  • I just finished watching this and catching up.

I had a pet theory: Walpurgis Night was actually Homura's witch—or actually a conglomeration of all of her witches—time-traveled back to this point in time. This would have explained why it shows up at the same time no matter the timeline, its magnitude, and all of the puppet witch silhouettes.

That turned out not to be the case, but I thought it would have worked out nicely.
  • 4 episodes into this. Is this some alternate universe where everyone is super dense? Sayaka clearly wasn't in control of herself, and spent her wish on something lame. Homura doesn't want Madoka to become a magical girl, but apparently doesn't want it that badly. Just tell her why! "Hey Madoka, you know why there aren't any magical women? Because all the magical girls die." For that matter, why doesn't Madoka just ask? Doesn't it seem a little strange that one of these girls wants her to do it so badly and the other one wants her not to equally strongly? At least find out why so you can decide for yourself.

The wishing system seems a little porous as well.
    "Hey Kyubey, I wish for infinite wishes."
    "Hey Kyubey, I wish all witches were defeated forever."
    "Hey Kyubey, I wish my magical girl powers were unlimited."
    "Hey Kyubey, I wish my magic egg didn't get tarnished or whatever. Actually, make that all magical girls' eggs."

When Kyubey says "duty-bound to do battle with witches," what specifically does that entail? What's the penalty for breaking the contract? Are the only rewards for beating witches you get your MP topped off and the seed pulls the soot off your soul gem? Pretty lame.

Despite all that, I'm super intrigued, and the show is short, so I imagine I'll finish it off shortly.
  • edited October 2013
    I so look forward to you after viewing post reactions. It almost makes me want to rewatch it all over again.

Fuck it. I'm gonna do it.

Edit: Also related, I'm sure I posted it somewhere, but this is the best remix of Connect via PandaBoY. 3:16 is my favorite part.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • OK, so the witches are the girls are the witches. That much I guessed when they showed the witch seeds sucking the poison off soul gems.

Also this apocalypse or whatever Homura keeps talking about, somethingnacht, I'm guessing it will coincide with Madoka making her wish?

And OH SHIT ENTROPY!?
  • edited October 2013
    OK, so the witches are the girls are the witches. That much I guessed when they showed the witch seeds sucking the poison off soul gems.

Also this apocalypse or whatever Homura keeps talking about, somethingnacht, I'm guessing it will coincide with Madoka making her wish?

And OH SHIT ENTROPY!?
    Just get to episode 10 and then come back because you have no idea.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Oh man. E10.

THE BEST.
  • AAAHHH THAT WAS LIKE A TRIPLE ESCAFLOWNE!

Also, most of my "why don't you just do this?" were answered! Homura really had tried to straight up tell Madoka, and Madoka pretty much ended up wishing best wish. I suspected Kyubey wasn't acting in the girls' best interests, but underestimated how... misleading(?) he was.

All in all, very satisfied.
  • AAAHHH THAT WAS LIKE A TRIPLE ESCAFLOWNE!
    DAT TERM.
  • So after that mind job, what should I watch? Options are Kill La Kill or Duarararararara.
  • So after that mind job, what should I watch? Options are Kill La Kill or Duarararararara.
    Both. Kill La Kill is ongoing, so watch what has come out and then follow it weekly and then watch Drrrrrr!! at some point between KlK episodes.
  • Is there a name for a show/book/movie/whatever with one of those moments like, "oh shit, this thing is not about what you thought this thing is about"? Like Madoka, or Escaflowne with the ISAAC NEWTON? Hot Fuzz is another one that sticks in my mind, even though that wasn't so dramatic.

I want that thing to have a name, so I can talk about it.
  • Madoka is not on Netflix streaming. No excuses remain.
  • It's been on Hulu and Crunchyroll before at various times, so I don't see how Netflix is a game changer.
  • Greg said:

It's been on Hulu and Crunchyroll before at various times, so I don't see how Netflix is a game changer.

A streaming service that a zillion people actually use now has it.
  • Starfox said:

Is there a name for a show/book/movie/whatever with one of those moments like, "oh shit, this thing is not about what you thought this thing is about"? Like Madoka, or Escaflowne with the ISAAC NEWTON? Hot Fuzz is another one that sticks in my mind, even though that wasn't so dramatic.

I want that thing to have a name, so I can talk about it.

This was the topic of our "Not All Anime are what they Seem" panel at Anime Boston actually.

There are "Terrible Secret of Space" anime. There are, separately, "Suddenly in Space" anime.

• So I finally got around to watching this, and it was very good. I loved the style and mood of the show (especially the music, I love most of Yuki Kajiura's work and I recognized it immediately without knowing beforehand), but it fell a little flat in the character department, which prevented it from being great to me. The characters are all believable and well done, I just didn't connect with any of them, outside of maybe Homura, but that's only because of episode 10. I still enjoyed it, and I ended up marathoning the last half because I got sucked in, but I don't think I'll be revisiting it again.
  • So I finally got around to watching this, and it was very good. I loved the style and mood of the show (especially the music, I love most of Yuki Kajiura's work and I recognized it immediately without knowing beforehand), but it fell a little flat in the character department, which prevented it from being great to me. The characters are all believable and well done, I just didn't connect with any of them, outside of maybe Homura, but that's only because of episode 10. I still enjoyed it, and I ended up marathoning the last half because I got sucked in, but I don't think I'll be revisiting it again.

What are you talking about? Madoka's mom is one of the best characters in anime.
  • Apreche said:

What are you talking about? Madoka's mom is one of the best characters in anime.

I wholeheartedly agree. If she had her own show, I'd be all about that. But the show isn't about her, it's about the girls, and I just didn't care about any of them. As such, I'm going to find it hard to get invested in the story as a whole. As I said, very good, just not great for me.
  • Apreche said:

I wholeheartedly agree. If she had her own show, I'd be all about that. But the show isn't about her, it's about the girls, and I just didn't care about any of them. As such, I'm going to find it hard to get invested in the story as a whole. As I said, very good, just not great for me.
    Madoka's Mom isn't the main character? WHAAAAT?!?!?!

• Apreche said:

Apreche said:

Madoka's Mom isn't the main character? WHAAAAT?!?!?!
    I'm not sure how I should be interpreting this...
  • It is every mom's dream to booze it up with her kid.
  • Has anyone else seen the Madoka movie: Rebellion? I thought it was quite good and fit in with the series' tone.
  • Mooooooovieeeeee? Didn't know that was out or if it was any good. the show ends so well that I'm afraid of more ruining the whole thing.