This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

New HTPC Build

Comments

• Modern computers are like legos, they go together so easily.
  • Ugh. So should I get a separate video card or one with a mobo that has a graphics card with it?
  • Ugh. So should I get a separate video card or one with a mobo that has a graphics card with it?
    The latest generation of motherboards with integrated graphics will be able to run just about anything on low graphics settings, and a good portion of what's out there today on medium settings. I'd recommend getting a separate video card though so you can start high and let the machine age gracefully.

• edited September 2012
    Get a new AMD processor. $60, integrated Radeon HD 6410D. Look at the Lifehacker article I posted above!
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited September 2012
    Figured. Now the question is what sort of card to get?

I currently have this one in my computer EVGA GTX 550TI 1024MB GeForce Video Card, would I bet safe getting a little bit less? Or stick with the same?

@WuB

I just saw and that's pretty interesting. The store I plan on going to has the Quad Core for $10 cheaper as well.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • That AMD w/ the 6410D is pretty nice. You could just go with that and if one day down the road you want to pop in a more powerful graphics card, you could.
  • Make sure you get a low profile video card. Otherwise it won't fit in an HTPC case.
  • She's getting no graphics card at all. AMD integrated GPU. ~_^
  • Yeah, from what George and I could muster up, it's going to be around $750. Not bad.
  • The integrated GPUs are 3000 series, not very powerful, though useful for the extra output if you add in an AMD dedicated GPU. Will play HD video but you're not going to be bumping the graphics up too high.
  • If I can watch streaming moves and play most Steam games with the chip I chose, I should be fine.
  • edited September 2012
    Double post.

Umm. I love kitties!
  • No, these are the new GPU integrated in the CPU model. It's a 6000 series.
  • Yeah, the new AMD integrated packages are some nasty bitches. Super cheap and powerful AF. Just add RAM and play 1080p and BF3.
  • So my local store does not have the original case I wanted, but I found a local store that has this one (Antec Versi Fusion) with a 430w power supply included.

It is also large enough to fit a regular video card if I were to ever upgrade.

This review looks promising.

The local guy is willing to sell it to me for $100. So that's not bad.

Thoughts?
  • edited September 2012
    Ok HTPC parts ordered and will be worked on today and tomorrow and hopefully ready for me to pick up late tomorrow or early Saturday.

Case: Antec Veris Fusion. Got new, but some scratches at a local store for $100, no tax. It also comes with its own 430w power supply, so not too shabby.
    Mobo: Asus/AMD. $98
    CPU/GPU: Quad Core AMD $90, per WuBs recommendation.
    Memory: 2 x 4GB from Kingston. A bit pricier from the store I bought it at. $56
    Hard drive: Western Digital 2TB $116
    Optical Drive: LG 22x DVD+/-RW SATA DVD Burner OEM $25
    Keyboard/Mouse: Logitech Wireless $40
    Power Supply: Antec 450w $40

I had to buy another power supply, even though the case came with one because according to the store, to have the warranty of 5 years, it had to include the power supply. Kinda sucks, but meh.

After all is said and done with the $60 assembly fee, it came to be around $750. Not too bad. I probably could have saved a few bucks getting it on NewEgg, but there is shipping and time. Plus with this case, I can definitely upgrade it easily down the road.

Also bought the Xbox 360 PC usb adapter.

Now, I just need to find a good place to mount the bad boy. I probably could put all the consoles standing instead of laying flat, so problem solved.

However, I could make this as an excuse to go to Ikea to find a better shelving unit.

>_>

Edit: So, I'm looking at the receipt and the guy charge me for another 4GB RAM stick, so another $27.
  • OMG! Just got a call from the tech that my HTPC is pretty much ready to pick up.

He informed me that the issue he had last week installing the OS was with the SATA cable. Phew! At least it was nothing major.

But what threw me for a loop was they called to ask if I wanted any programs installed on there. They offered to install Microsoft Security Essentials for me, I said sure!

They also offered to install Skype, iTunes, muTorrent, Steam, Chrome, VLC player, Adobe, and pretty much anything I'm going to need for it.

That's pretty much going to save me about an hour, other than I will have to install the Steam games myself.

That's some pretty awesome customer service right there.

So excited! Work needs to end NOW.
  • edited September 2012
    Dual-core or quad-core AMD APU for my HTPC? It's the difference between $60 and $90, I guess I'm just pinching pennies.
  • I went Quad. It was the same price or a few dollars difference.
  • edited September 2012
    Yeah, alright. I'll do it.

When did components get so fucking cheap? 8GB of Crucial DDR3 1300 is $35.
  • Actually, wait. That's the wrong article, it's old AF. Here we go: How I Built the Media Center of My Dreams for Under $500
    I read that entire guide, got really excited, and then suddenly remembered that I don't own a TV...
  • edited September 2012
    My $450 build.

If you want it to be sub-$400, you can eliminate the 360 controller and switch to a dual-core AMD APU. I can advise on any further decisions. I hope someone buys this and builds it! The $450 build can also handle nearly any Steam game worth playing at (at least) medium settings, and would make a perfectly capable gaming PC for someone on a budget, with the option to add a full GPU later.

My goal here was to make an HTPC that could go toe-to-toe with the PS3 and 360 on price point and power, and I succeeded. Note that getting this system at the stated price is contingent on a free Windows 7 Ultimate key from MSDNAA, but there're a lot of CS students around here.
  • Is the Coolmaster required?
  • You need a low-profile cooler to use the case I chose, but you can always select a bigger case and omit the cooler.
  • So I know this will be dangerous to say here but I've never built a PC before. It is time I correct this mistake and I could use a HTPC. This would be strictly for media as my regular PC takes care of my gaming needs. What I'm looking for are recommendations of builds you might have done recently. I'd like to keep the price point low as possible a fulfill some basic requirements.

My NAS takes care of bulk storage so no need for bulk storage on-board.
    Capable of at least 5.1 audio and 1080p video over hdmi.

That's it. Anything else you can suggest would be quite helpful.
  • I was hoping for something more recent than September of 2012.
  • Thread necromancy here is the rule here. Somebody will reply to your post on the existing thread.
  • *Repost from new thread so not to clog the internet.*

So I know this will be dangerous to say here but I've never built a PC before. It is time I correct this mistake and I could use a HTPC. This would be strictly for media as my regular PC takes care of my gaming needs. What I'm looking for are recommendations of builds you might have done recently. I'd like to keep the price point low as possible a fulfill some basic requirements.

My NAS takes care of bulk storage so no need for bulk storage on-board.
    Capable of at least 5.1 audio and 1080p video over hdmi.

That's it. Anything else you can suggest would be quite helpful.
  • Hyper Text Caching Protocol?