This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Monday - USB

Tonight on GeekNights, we talk some USB. In the news, 3D printing got a lot more colorful, and India is on the road to eradicating Polio, reminding us that the application of existing technology more widely will have far greater effect than anything at the bleeding edge.

The next book club book is Wool, now that the previous book - Idoru - is ready for our discussion. There's also some new GeekNights Presents on the way, and we're more regularly streaming our versus gaming (like Nidhogg and Divekick)!

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• Pretend that you are trying to sell something to the INL then just go to Targhee, Sun Valley, or Jackson Hole. There is also Big Sky somewhat close but that takes a little more time to get to.
  • Or somewhere in Salt Lake City then go to Park City.
  • Rym is a raisinist.
  • 2bfree said:

Rym is a raisinist.

The correct term is anti-raisinite.
  • Too bad you're not coming to PAX Aus Scott, but it will be fun to meet up with Rym again.

Meanwhile in the world of diseases that can be stopped by vaccines -

The UK and US plagued with measles, mumps and whopping cough because parents aren't vaccinating their children. (Measles = Red, Mumps = Brown, Whooping Cough = Green).
  • Oh!

I forgot to mention a big difference between USB A standard and Micro. Take a good look at the end of your phone charger USB cable. Notice anything fundamentally different other than the size of the connector?

There are spring loaded grips that hold the plug in place. This greatly reduces wear on the plug and port. Micro B plugs and receptacles will last basically forever. USB A is only rated for 1,500 uses.
  • I think anybody who hasn't gotten their children immunized within a reasonable time period of when it is recommended (without a mitigating factor like an allergic reaction) should be arrested for child neglect.
  • Rym said:

Oh!

I forgot to mention a big difference between USB A standard and Micro. Take a good look at the end of your phone charger USB cable. Notice anything fundamentally different other than the size of the connector?

There are spring loaded grips that hold the plug in place. This greatly reduces wear on the plug and port. Micro B plugs and receptacles will last basically forever. USB A is only rated for 1,500 uses.

I've had to replace a Micro A times for an older external hard disk enclosure (where I would almost never be detaching it) over a period of 5 years.
    I have a Micro B for a phone which was plugged and unplugged 2 - 4 times daily for 4 years and is still functional.
  • what's the song that plays at the end of the episode called? I've heard it before but I can't remember where.