This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Dog protagonist movie

Sadly, Baxter isn't animated but maybe we'll still get a show devoted to it?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094713/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Comments

• So this thread isn't about Air Bud?
  • Lady and the Tramp
    The Fox and the Hound
    101 Dalmations
    Oliver and Company (ok Oliver is a cat but his company is all dogs)
    Bolt

I feel as if these all get crushed by one cat movie - The Lion King I even bought this on Boo-Ray for $4 to hear the awesome 5.1 channel surround soundtrack.
  • My vote goes to a show about Snoopy, Come Home.
  • sK0pe said:

I feel as if these all get crushed by one cat movie - The Lion King I even bought this on Boo-Ray for $4 to hear the awesome 5.1 channel surround soundtrack.

That's not how you spell The Aristocats.
  • Holy fuck The Aristocats is one of my favorites.
  • Aristocats was good but it's still the 2nd best cat movie for me.

I think I put more nostalgia into Lion King because I saw Aristocats at a much earlier age and can't remember or appreciate as much.

Plus when I was a kid I thought the CG for the wildebeeste stampede was great, as was James Earl Jones's Mustafa voice acting, the opening song and music throughout by Elton John. I don't think I had seen a Disney movie kill a main perceived hero character or go in such a dark route so early.

I think it was also one of the first few times I had been exposed to a Hans Zimmer score.
  • edited February 2014
    Arashi No Yoru Ni is pretty incredible. Think The Fox and the Hound but with much more obvious subtext. Another great feature is that it's one of those films that isn't trying to appeal to otaku. It is very Japanese, but much more in the spirit of Ginga Densetsu or Tezuka's films. Also, it looks gorgeous. There's even a great Australian fan dub, yes I said dub, on Youtube. One of the most faithful dubs I've watched. This film is kind of surreal. I'm sure Rym would like the art since he like Folktales From Japan.

The Cat Returns is a good cat movie.
    Post edited by Viethra on
  • I think it's a stretch to call Lion King a cat movie. Otherwise you could consider werewolf movies to be dog movies. I think it has to strictly be about domesticated house pet species of dog/cat and anthropomorphisms thereof.
  • Almost forgot about Bolt, that was an above average film.
  • If an anthropomorphic film counts, then put me down for Robin Hood. It was and remains my favorite Disney animated movie.
  • Pretty much all movies about animals are anthropomorphic in one way or another.
  • If an anthropomorphic film counts, then put me down for Robin Hood. It was and remains my favorite Disney animated movie.

Doge only.
  • I used to watch Dogtanian as a kid. It stood out as being the only serial in a sea of cartoons without continuity.

There was an episode of Excel Saga in which Menchi took centre stage and got mixed up in his own doggy drama. Was that a parody of something specific? Trouble with that show was that the it made references to things that I had little opportunity to know about.
  • Balto? All Dogs go to Heaven?

Also, the Plague Dogs. Talk about an animated film that would provide a good counterpoint to the Disney. Woosh.
  • Coldguy said:

Almost forgot about Bolt, that was an above average film.

Did you know Bolt is a retelling of Don Quixote. Bolt is Quixote, Rhino is Sancho Panza, and Mittens is Dulcinea.
  • Robin Hood is foxes.
  • Homeward Bound. Or is it out because of the cat?

There are several where the dog is not the protagonist but feature a dog in a big way. I'm thinking of Tibetan Dog at the moment.

Also, based on books, Old Yeller and Where the Red Fern Grows are important films. These two definitely made a young me cry.
  • If they wanted a bad cat movie night they could go with The Cat from Outer Space
  • What about all the Benji movies?
  • What about all the Benji movies?

Lassie

• Air Bud.
  • Rym said:
    Look, we were trying to be nice when suggesting movies with dogs in them, and not horrible 80s comedy spin off movies.
  • Wishbone?
  • Damn you. That dog musketeer song is stuck in my head
  • I think a Burning Wheel Muskehounds game is inevitable
  • daromrom said:

Damn you. That dog musketeer song is stuck in my head

What, this one?

• Ye Gads, no, not that one, but thank you for informing me that there is more than one dog musketeer song in the world.
    Rym had one playing at the end of their latest podcasts...