This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Thursday - The Dentist

Tonight on GeekNights, we talk about dentists and dental work. (Shut up, it's an awesome show topic). In the news, Olympic hockey is best hockey, and Kiev continues to burn. The New York Comic Con has split off its comics into a new edition that will likely resemble Philly Wizard World.

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• edited February 2014
    MrPeriod said:
    Doesn't work.

EDIT: Oh, it's for Chrome. Fuck that noise.
    Post edited by Daikun on
  • Daikun said:

MrPeriod said:
    Doesn't work.

EDIT: Oh, it's for Chrome. Fuck that noise.
    OH, IT's FOR THE MOST USED WEB BROWSER IN THE WORLD FUCK THAT NOISE.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_web_browsers
  • I don't care how popular it is. Chrome blows chunks.
  • I use chrome on Windows 7 and Mac. I use Internet Explorer on Windows 8 because it's just better.
  • They got you all the way home when they gave you general anesthesia? They gave me the IV, and I immediately time-warped in the same chair to the end of the procedure with a mouth full of cottonballs. Also a marked difficulty walking under my own power.
  • I live in a dot. Hells yeah.
  • I have had the same dentist my whole life. I travel back to my home town for my appointments. I really like the guy.

I pay about £20.00 a year as I'm lucky to have an NHS subsidised dentist.

I think that each of my 3 brothers have been taken off the dentist's register and no longer get any check ups. Mainly because they struggle (or used to struggle) with affording travel. When they need the dentist again, unless they can get another NHS dentist, they'll end up having to go private.

It seems unfair that I get it cheaper because I could afford it. But when I was a student I stayed committed to keeping my appointments because I knew they were good value.
  • Daikun said:

I don't care how popular it is. Chrome blows chunks.

How so? Tell me one real, factual reason it "blows chunks."

It's a perfectly capable web browser. It has no serious or even significant problems.

• Okay, all the browsers are so similar at this point that it's really hard to criticize them. Even IE is becoming more homogenized.

The main difference is that Chrome and Firefox have extensions, and right now Chrome's are better.
  • Axel said:

The main difference is that Chrome and Firefox have extensions, and right now Chrome's are better.

Chrome has AMR, Firefox doesn't, QED.
  • Firefox has Noscript, Chrome doesn't. QED. :P
  • Churba said:

Axel said:

Firefox has Noscript, Chrome doesn't. QED. :P

Both of these are pointless. AdBlock Plus is the only extension you need.
  • I use chrome on Windows 7 and Mac. I use Internet Explorer on Windows 8 because it's just better.

I'm sorry, is this the Backward Time Universe? I better catch the nearest Stargate out of here.
  • Apreche said:

Churba said:

Axel said:

Firefox has Noscript, Chrome doesn't. QED. :P

Joking, mate.
  • As far as web development goes, IE can go fuck itself. It's getting better but there are so many things wrong with it that it's just laughably bad. I liked Chromes model more since each tab is a process you can close down only one if its fucking up. Firefox you can't do that. Firebug is fucking awesome, but has been getting worse. Chromes tools are actually pretty decent just took me a while to get used to them, now I use them more often than I use Firebug. IE's are still trash and have always been. Super heavyweight and clunky without any added benefit from what I can see. I could probably keep going but you get the point...
  • Rym said:

Tell me one real, factual reason it "blows chunks."

Does it still not have keyword bookmarks?
  • One of my only issues with Chrome from a user standpoint is that when you have text selected and you Ctrl+F the text is not automatically copied into the search bar. Kinda trivial but has always bothered me. However Firefox is the only browser that actually offers this. Chrome also has a pretty slow network profiler for some reason, but it's not that bad.
  • edited February 2014
    Starfox said:

Rym said:

Tell me one real, factual reason it "blows chunks."

Does it still not have keyword bookmarks?
    You can get a similar behavior by doing something like "- [start typing name of bookmark]" but it's not as definite as FF. I kinda see that as trivial since you can get similar behavior and it's only great to someone who uses it a lot and is comfortable using it. One thing that is AWESOME about Chrome that other browsers don't have is this quick search. I don't know what the actual feature name is but if you've been to a website and Chrome recognizes they have some sort of search (not sure what it's looking for) then you can hit tab and start typing a search query. I use this a lot for websites like Wikipedia. I usually do "w-i-tab" then start typing something that I'm looking for.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • That feature alone has made me unable to go back to other browsers. I do the exact same thing with the "w-i-tab."
  • That is exactly keyword bookmarks in Firefox.
  • Let us not forget

Best song about Dentists?
  • Apreche said:

AdBlock Plus probably wouldn't have done shit when Hasbro's website was offering drive-by downloads of malware.
  • Apreche said:

AdBlock Plus probably wouldn't have done shit when Hasbro's website was offering drive-by downloads of malware.
    How can that possibly happen? The security of the browsers themselves prevent that kind of shenanigans unless you actively click or do something stupid.
  • Daikun said:

I don't care how popular it is. Chrome blows chunks.

11/10 would be trolled again.

• And I came here to talk about teeth.

One of the things I consider myself extremely lucky to have is good teeth. I've never needed braces, and never had wisdom teeth taken out. Both of these are partially due to the fact that I was born without one of my adult teeth, so to this day I still have a baby tooth at nearly age 30. Since it's so much smaller, the other teeth are not crowded for space. On the bottom set, I guess I'm just lucky.
  • I had 4 teeth taken out when I was 13. Made space for the wisdom teeth. They put me under for that. I don't remember there being a choice about it though.
  • I wish I could have been out under, I dream of being unconscious when at the dentists. I had a general anaesthetic and it was so unpleasant, the feeling of teeth being pulled out was one of the worst in my life and I spent my sunday getting glass out of my foot.

Also this;
  • Time to go to the dentist. While I'm still under the family's insurance.
  • edited February 2014
    Apreche said:

Apreche said:

How can that possibly happen? The security of the browsers themselves prevent that kind of shenanigans unless you actively click or do something stupid.
    You're assuming browsers have perfect security. They do not. In theory, yes, the security of browsers should prevent stuff like that from happening. In practice, hackers are often smart enough to poke their way through browsers' defenses. That's also assuming browser developers don't screw something up in the mean time (i.e. -- a typo in the code for a new browser release that breaks the previous version's security).

Also, if Hasbro's site has been compromised, it's possible that clicking on a link for something like "2014's new My Little Pony toy line" happens to result in downloading malware prior to being taken to the actual MLP toy page. So even if your browser's security is working properly, there's still a chance that a compromised legitimate site could still screw you over with sabotaged links.
    Post edited by Dragonmaster Lou on
  • How can that possibly happen? If I click on a link, how exactly does that cause a malware to infect me? If it downloads a file, I'll delete it without executing it.