This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Current Events

Comments

• GoPro is planning to go public. BUYIN' DAT STOCK.
  • Matt said:

GoPro is planning to go public. BUYIN' DAT STOCK.

I fear that they will be fundamentally ruined by the need to produce more and more short term profit for stockholders rather than developing higher quality products over the long term. They've done well releasing a relatively small line even as everyone tries to copy them.
  • Nah I think we need to go back to those old methods that are inhumane.

Nah man, we should go back to a firing squad. Think of all the jobs it'll create.
  • edited February 2014
    I did not think about it in this way (making it more gory) could turn some people's opinions.

How many people would be exposed to the footage or better yet seeing it in real life (it is very different when you're in the same room and you see something going from alive to dead, this is amplified when you have friends and family around).
    Post edited by sK0pe on
  • Matt said:

GoPro is planning to go public. BUYIN' DAT STOCK.

I've been waiting for this or newegg. Getting an account just to buy dat stock.
  • edited February 2014
    I think Scott's suggestion of execution via ceremonious smashing would be best achieved via Wheatley's Mashy Spike Plate
    Post edited by SWATrous on
  • Don't want to be the pain but the guillotine is actually pretty good when it comes to chopping off heads. Now hanging is a crappy one.
  • Hang with something akin to piano wire, it should get the head off if done correctly.
  • After seeing all the commercials against De Blasio concerning his charter school decision, I'm now firmly against any public funds or locations used for any charter/private schools.

The fact when a decision doesn't go their way, they can suddenly flood the airwaves against an administration shows the huge potential for corruption when all those education dollars are in play.
  • I'm positive that everyone knows about it by now, I'm a little surprised no one's posted much about it. Where in the nine hells is MH370? The latest reports are saying it may have been deliberately flown somewhere. The internet is abound in conspiracy and crazy regarding the entire thing, some pretty damn hilarious too.

There aren't that many publicly available facts from reliable sources other than there's a fairly large plane with 239 people missing.

What real possibilities actually exist?
    1. It either crashed or landed somewhere
    2. Some or all passengers are dead.
    3. Some or all passengers were kidnapped and/or hostages.

Am I missing anything?
  • Lost. The plane is lost on a mysterious island...
  • edited March 2014
    I'm betting it crashed into the ocean somewhere.

NO WAIT OBVIOUSLY IT'S ILLUMINATI OBAMA ALIENS.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • It's a weird situation though. It might have been a dead plane (meaning everyone on it was dead, or at least anyone who could fly the plane or access the cockpit). It might have been hijacked and then gone down. Lots of data about what actually happened that is currently difficult to parse.

Dead planes in recent history:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_Australia_Beechcraft_King_Air_crash
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_South_Dakota_Learjet_crash
  • edited March 2014
    I've watched Millennium, I know how this ends. At least I think I do. I did have to get pretty toasted to watch that film.
    Post edited by canine224 on
  • canine224 said:

I've watched Millennium, I know how this ends. At least I think I do. I did have to get pretty toasted to watch that film.

I was thinking about that movie a few days ago, just before this plane went missing. It was more to do with the cigarette disposal method in the movie, but it felt spooky when I heard about a plane disappearing the next day.
  • It's laughable how behind the times the aviation industry is in terms of data tracking. This missing flight should spark interest in upgrading tracking systems but it probably won't. :-/
  • Laughable? I think it's actually pretty good, considering... How would you propose tracking a plane in the middle of the ocean? Also remember the times they lose track of them are exactly the same times GPS et al. aren't going to save you.
  • To my utterly non-expert brain, this seems plausible:

Did Malaysian Airlines 370 disappear using SIA68 (another 777)?
    http://keithledgerwood.tumblr.com/post/79838944823/did-malaysian-airlines-370-disappear-using-sia68
  • Due to the prevelance of cell phones isn't it likely that someone on board the plane could have gotten some message out at some point? Or even cell tracking data if a phone was simply powered on and near enough to a tower?
  • HMTKSteve said:

Due to the prevelance of cell phones isn't it likely that someone on board the plane could have gotten some message out at some point? Or even cell tracking data if a phone was simply powered on and near enough to a tower?

Over the ocean.
  • It's very possible, if it was one of the pilots who took control of the plane, that nobody on board knew that the plane was going anywhere different than planned:

"The flight departed from Kuala Lumpur International Airport on 8 March at 00:41 local time (16:41 UTC, 7 March) and was scheduled to land at Beijing Capital International Airport at 06:30 local time (22:30 UTC, 7 March)."

Many people on the flight would have been asleep for much of it. If it had flown towards India, it would have been in darkness the whole way. Not many people looking out of the window would have been able to distinguish between India in the dark and China in the dark.

More to the point, if anyone did notice anything wrong, the voice of the pilot himself giving fake updates on how they were still approaching Beijing, or that they were being diverted somewhere, would have kept anyone's questioning at bay. I know I'd just trust the pilot, in that case.
  • It's very possible, if it was one of the pilots who took control of the plane, that nobody on board knew that the plane was going anywhere different than planned:

"The flight departed from Kuala Lumpur International Airport on 8 March at 00:41 local time (16:41 UTC, 7 March) and was scheduled to land at Beijing Capital International Airport at 06:30 local time (22:30 UTC, 7 March)."

Many people on the flight would have been asleep for much of it. If it had flown towards India, it would have been in darkness the whole way. Not many people looking out of the window would have been able to distinguish between India in the dark and China in the dark.

More to the point, if anyone did notice anything wrong, the voice of the pilot himself giving fake updates on how they were still approaching Beijing, or that they were being diverted somewhere, would have kept anyone's questioning at bay. I know I'd just trust the pilot, in that case.

If it is a modern plane it has TV screens at each seat. One of the channels on that screen shows you your current GPS location, heading, speed, elevation, etc. I don't know about other people, but even on short flights, I check this often. I wonder what that screen said on that plane.
  • Apreche said:

If it is a modern plane it has TV screens at each seat. One of the channels on that screen shows you your current GPS location, heading, speed, elevation, etc. I don't know about other people, but even on short flights, I check this often. I wonder what that screen said on that plane.

I had a flight last month where the whole entertainment system was down. So no movies or screens or flight updates at all. I've taken many flights where even if there were screens, the flight info wasn't showing, with no explanation given. I'm not sure if this can be switched off from the cockpit, of course, but I wouldn't be surprised if it could be.

• Apreche said:

I had a flight last month where the whole entertainment system was down. So no movies or screens or flight updates at all. I've taken many flights where even if there were screens, the flight info wasn't showing, with no explanation given. I'm not sure if this can be switched off from the cockpit, of course, but I wouldn't be surprised if it could be.

Depending on how long it was out and such, I would eventually ask a flight attendant.
  • edited March 2014
    HMTKSteve said:

Due to the prevelance of cell phones isn't it likely that someone on board the plane could have gotten some message out at some point? Or even cell tracking data if a phone was simply powered on and near enough to a tower?

Phone jammers are trivially and cheaply available. Or, you could just fly out somewhere without towers, or at least towers that you can use.

I'm not sure if this can be switched off from the cockpit, of course, but I wouldn't be surprised if it could be.

Yep. Parts of it can be turned off from the cockpit in some airframes(for example, they can turn off the pilot radio listen-in, or any various cameras that might be available, and so on), but it can always be turned off or otherwise controlled from the IFE panel in the cabin, normally toward the front.

Post edited by Churba on
  • Turkey is now "blocking" twitter.

Lol
  • Reol said:

I'm positive that everyone knows about it by now, I'm a little surprised no one's posted much about it. Where in the nine hells is MH370?

They might have found it.
  • Love this photo.