This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Awesome Pro Wrestling Videos

Comments

• But they're still greasy as ever
  • Apreche said:

Neito said:

Apreche said:

I don't have to watch any pro wrestling to describe what happened. I can do that right now.

Some steroid-infused, oiled-up dudes wearing little more than speedos grabbed each other for awhile. We're supposed to believe they were fighting, but they weren't.

Goes to show what you know. Most of the top of the roster wrestles in long pants or jeans now.
    Kind of restricts movement, no?
    I would assume that they're specially tailored.

Fuck, Kane wrestled in a suit for about six months.

• I was not aware that this was a thing that people did.

Chibi Wrestlers - Brock Lesnar and John Cena Summ…:
  • edited August 2014
    Apreche said:

We're supposed to believe they were fighting, but they weren't.

To be fair though, this can describe conflict in any work of fiction with a cast. Vince McMahon admitted that wrestling was fake on the air back in 1997.

I like to think of wrestling as a live action comic book. Larger-than-life characters in brightly colored costumes who solve their problems with violence.
    Post edited by UncleUlty on
  • I've found that if you're the kind of person who is vulnerable to the tropes and sillyness of Mecha anime, you'll generally become a wrestling person at some point.
  • Neito said:

I've found that if you're the kind of person who is vulnerable to the tropes and sillyness of Mecha anime, you'll generally become a wrestling person at some point.

There is some logic to that, I think. I dabble in and out of wrestling fandom from time to time, and you know I'm a big mecha nut.
  • The Chicago Film Archive has released a whole bunch of wrestling footage from the 50s. Have a look, this is the kind of wrestling that made it popular on TV in the 50s.
  • The Chicago Film Archive has released a whole bunch of wrestling footage from the 50s. Have a look, this is the kind of wrestling that made it popular on TV in the 50s.

This is actually thing of the day worthy.
  • edited November 2014
    Grumpy Cat guest hosts on WWE Raw. I'm not sure if this was entertainingly wacky or just stupid.

Post edited by edifolco25 on
  • Warning: Clever fake titantron

• Ok guys. If you aren't watching NXT, you should be. Last night's NXT special, Takeover: REvolution, was the best wrestling show of the year. If not the decade. Holy crap, top to bottom an amazing show. Watch it.
  • edited December 2014
    Ever watch this little thing called New Japan Pro Wrestling? It's even better ;) they also have a streaming service now called New Japan World and a YouTube channel full of cool matches.
    is a good place e to start if your curious. NXT is fun and does have some very good matches but New Japan beyond the opening matches is usually bare minimum as good as the best WWE matches.
    Post edited by Hitman Hart on
  • Oh wow, great find, thank you!
  • Is this back when his finisher was the Pepsi Plunge?
  • Neito said:

Is this back when his finisher was the Pepsi Plunge?

I haven't watched the match yet, but that was his finish until he went to WWE and started using the Anaconda Vice to the best of my knowledge.
  • Glad you enjoy, here is another one

• Super fit athletes become the idols of overweight couch potatoes. :)
  • edited December 2014
    Was that the last match they ever did at that venue, where they decided they would try to literally "tear the house down" because the building was closing down after that night?

Punk talked about that in a documentary, where they wanted to physically demolish the building as much as possible during that match.
    Post edited by UncleUlty on
  • If you haven't already, and you want to check out some New Japan stuff, there was a version of the webstream of WrestleKingdom with english commentary. It's really worth watching that PPV.
  • Or you can get it on New Japan World along with a good chunk of their archives for under $9 a month
  • I've been watching the Portland, OR based West Coast Wrestling Connection for a few weeks now. It is not the best wrestling show of all time, I will admit, but it's a fun hour and they have a couple of names. Check it out if you're looking for something better than Raw or Impact.
    Here is their youtube channel.
  • I've been watching the Portland, OR based West Coast Wrestling Connection for a few weeks now. It is not the best wrestling show of all time, I will admit, but it's a fun hour and they have a couple of names.

Whoa. So that's what happened to Gangrel.

For something not quite awesome, but potentially amusing, let me present you with USWF:

The USWF was a backyard wrestling "association" I first came across in the early 2000s when I was living in Rhode Island and stumbled upon their public access TV show late one night. As to be expected, the quality of the wrestling leaves much to be desired, but there is some humor in the horrible production values as well as some of the ridiculous match concepts they'd have, like the fluorescent tube match, the Wiffle nailbat match, etc.
  • I've got my tickets to the Royal Rumble this weekend. :D Also it appears that in Philadelphia that same weekend, both Ring of Honor and Chikara Pro are doing shows at the old ECW Arena. So we might be doing 3 different rasslin' shows in 24 hours.
  • There's also a Jim Ross show in the area I believe.
  • The Royal Rumble sucked. Watch the triple threat and nothing else.
  • Although, the look on The Rock's face amid that sea of boos was pretty entertaining.
    His promo on the post-show was not.
  • Yessss WWE, burn your own creation to the ground. I was there at the show, and the crowd turning so harshly on everything after Bryan's elimination was incredible.

I would be more upset, but this weekend I watched my first NJPW and went to a RoH taping, so the WWE can set itself on fire and I can just laugh. As long as I can still watch NXT.
  • Why is everyone so mad about the Royal Rumble?

— Rym (@schezar) January 27, 2015

Paging Rym to the thread, since it cannot be explained effectively in 140 characters.

Roman Reigns debuted in 2012, in a dominant group with two other well known independent wrestlers. Reigns was still a relative unknown and was clearly the weakest of the three breakout stars, but right from the beginning, he was Vince McMahon's chosen Golden Boy because he has "The Look" and is the Rock's cousin. The Royal Rumble was meant to be the event that established Reigns as The Guy, starting his push towards the WWE Championship at Wrestlemania this April.

However, the WWE has been forcing current top star John Cena down everyone's throats for the past 10 years, and the fans have steadily grown bored with the generic superhero good guy, built on the same model as Hulk Hogan. Since Cena is getting older and more broken down, they need a newer, younger star to take over. There are a number of guys that the fans have been solidly behind, absolutely desperate to see get a shot at the top - many of whom were involved in the Rumble, and were all unceremoniously removed from contention one by one. A few of them were literally dumped out of the ring like sacks of garbage.

Add to this that the show was in Philadelphia, the home of the most angry, bitter wrestling fans in the country who will not be told that they must get behind the traditional "Hero." Despite all of this, Vince McMahon went ahead with his original plan to completely ignore ALL of the crowd favorites and run with his original Golden Boy, who clearly isn't ready to spearhead this company yet.

So yes, we didn't like the way the show ended. But it's so much more than that - it's a culmination of a decade or more of Vince McMahon actively being at war with his fans, denying them what they want because he believes he knows best. It was famously said that Vince is a millionaire who should be a billionaire because his ego will not allow him to believe that his ideas might be out-of-date and that the fans who pay to see his product are cheering and chanting and getting behind guys that he hasn't hand-picked to be the face of the company. He would rather watch his company burn to the ground than admit that he was wrong.