This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PAX AUS 2014 OCT 30-NOV 1, 2014

Comments

• I spent too much time making this shitty gif and now you all must share my suffering.

• That gif is far from shitty. It is an excellent contribution. It shall be remixed and reused muchly.
  • Rym, you forgot "use the fancy-pants Marantz to record Australians' fake American accents" on the schedule.
  • I bet Gearbox Australia will be representing. So jelly.
  • Rochelle said:

I bet Gearbox Australia will be representing. So jelly.

Yep, 2k Australia have one of the big booths, right near the indie pavilion.
  • Right, so, options. After a bit of poking around and asking friends, turns out some of my favourite places have either shut down or turned to shite.

However, if we're looking for somewhere to play board games I've been recommended this shop: http://www.goodgames.com.au/stores/vic/melbourne.html which is open until midnight on Thursday and has a moderate collection of board games on hand (and we're welcome to bring our own) plus Thursday nights are their board game night anyway. Its located pretty much in the heart of Melbourne, so it would be pretty easy to find somewhere to get food and drinks nearby.

Thoughts?
  • (I was super tempted to suggest we go to Misty's Diner so that Rym could be horrified by how Australians treat American food, but its a bit out of the city)
  • Board games until midnight on Thursday sounds pretty hard to beat.
  • Good games looks like a good post-dinner idea!
  • edited October 2014
    There's a whole host of places to eat near Good Games, ranging from the food court at Melbourne Central, Chinatown isn't that far of a walk or the laneway near the shop would probably hold many tasty places to eat too.

Personally I'd suggest meeting at Good Games between 5-7 playing a game to give time for everyone to show up, then ranging from there to find food then heading back in to play until close. Added bonus of being able to ask the people in the shop for suggestions, rather than picking at random from Yelp.

I actually rang the shop earlier to find out what they have on hand and the answer was very vague, so it may be worth trying to coordinate bringing our own games to play rather than relying on them. Was anyone planning on bringing anything to play at PAX already? I was just planning on bringing some card games, but as I'm driving over I have plenty of space to bring bigger/heavier games if wanted.
    Post edited by Koeniou on
  • That food court has food court quality food, I don't recommend it from the last time I've been there. Chinatown is way better.
  • Personally I'm pulling for something in Chinatown too, but for the sake of completeness I thought I'd list a bunch of the things around.
  • And, thus, the PAX-Forum chilling effect begins.
  • I'm still here :(
  • Me too. Want to play CS:GO? Not tonight though, some other night.

Wait, Churba, you're not at PAX AUS? Aren't you AUS?
  • edited October 2014
    Starfox said:

Me too. Want to play CS:GO? Not tonight though, some other night.

I am, but I don't live in Melbourne. Fly tomorrow, show starts Friday. Packing, bagging badges, all that shit tonight, and I'll fuck off tomorrow morning.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Churba said:

Starfox said:

Me too. Want to play CS:GO? Not tonight though, some other night.

I am, but I don't live in Melbourne. Fly tomorrow, show starts Friday. Packing, bagging badges, all that shit tonight, and I'll fuck off tomorrow morning.
    Same lol, had to write my final essay last night, submitted it at 5 am this morning, got up at 12pm, PAX is a really good motivator.
  • edited October 2014
    Thursday night at Good Games sounds the jam!
    Post edited by Casa Vino on
  • OK, Good Games at 5pm works for me.

I'm getting into Melbourne at roughly 12pm; if anyone wants to hang out before the full meetup at 5pm I'm up for that.

Also, I guess it would be best to have a contact mechanism of some kind for the people coming to the meetup. What's the de facto standard for group messaging these days? GroupMe?
  • Google hangouts works well, and damned near everybody has a google account, so no extra signups and shit.
  • So we start a group Hangout and everyone who wants to be added to it should ask for it here?
  • Don't trust my advice I'm a bit drunk but yes, that would be fine.
  • OK, I've made one. Post here if you want me to add you, so that I can work out how.
  • I'm not going to get to where I'm staying until about 6, so my partner and I will probably be there closer to 7.

Please add me to the hangout, my gmail is the same as my username on here.
  • OK, I think I've added you, though I don't know for sure that it's you.
  • Now I sleep and tomorrow I PAX.
  • Now I sleep and tomorrow I PAX... if I don't oversleep and miss my flight.
  • Yeah, I didn't really think that would happen. I trust my body/brain to have its priorities right... although I did wake up a good 40 minutes earlier than I needed to.
  • Well, I'm in Melbourne; time to meet up with people soon.
  • Good luck y'all. Try not to break any bones this time.