This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Thursday - Apples

Tonight on GeekNights, in another of the ever-popular food shows, we talk about apples. Since is a very New York topic, we have a good deal of other New York talk as well. From Rym's encounter with a subway commotion to Scott's encounter with a little box on fire to the scaffold drama at 1WTC, it's a New York night! Also, Amazon and Hachette have apparently resolved their dispute.

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• I wonder If the Amazon deal included an increased revenue share for hachette when eBook prices are lower.
  • Honey crisp is the best kind of apple.

There, nobody has to listen to the show now.
  • I like both Honey Crisps and Gala. I don't eat them as much, but happy my state producers them like hot cakes. :D
  • When you guys are back in Seattle for PAX you have to come to Capitol Hill Cider. So many good local ciders there on tap!
  • Oooh... I love ciders. I shall have to visit there as well.
  • Best apples are Pink Lady apples. I might go to my local Costco today and buy all the things I want and need after being away from my flat for 2 weeks.
  • Granny Smiths are my go to apple, and ever since I saw last Man Standing (and due to my teeth making me self conscious), I like to use my pocket knife to slice off pieces in stead of biting them off.
  • edited November 2014
    Granny Smiths are designed for cooking. That's why they're usually not eaten on their own.

What I like to do is use them to improve a boring old icing/frosting. Skin and core a couple of Granny Smiths, then put them in a blender with 4 ounces (1/2 cup) of apple juice, vanilla icing/frosting, and a mix of spices (add to taste). Pour on top of the dessert of your choice (I'd recommend spice cake). It's freakin' delicious!
    Post edited by Daikun on
  • Rym, I think you have this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oral_allergy_syndrome I developed this as well.
  • 2bfree said:

Rym, I think you have this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oral_allergy_syndrome I developed this as well.

That is in fact exactly what my doctor said I had. It's birch pollen that so fucks me.

• Golden delicious are my favorite variety. Crisp, sweet with a bit of tartness. Great for eating or cooking with.
  • Relevant: Apple Club. They mention that Sweet Tango variety. I am curious.
  • edited November 2014
    Daikun said:

Granny Smiths are designed for cooking. That's why they're usually not eaten on their own.

What I like to do is use them to improve a boring old icing/frosting. Skin and core a couple of Granny Smiths, then put them in a blender with 4 ounces (1/2 cup) of apple juice, vanilla icing/frosting, and a mix of spices (add to taste). Pour on top of the dessert of your choice (I'd recommend spice cake). It's freakin' delicious!

I eat Granny Smiths on their own, they're my preferred type of apple to eat.

That recipe sounds goddamn delicious, I definitely want to try it out sometime!
    Post edited by Koeniou on
  • It was weird to hear that the US has an apple season, but I keep forgetting how good Australia is for food ingredients. We have some sort of fresh apple year round.

My favourite would probably be Golden Delicious however I'm not as big a fan of straight eating an apple as others. I do like foods composed of apples though.

Also there's hardly any ciders in Australia compared to the UK.
    Rym next time you go to London just go to a few pubs and there should be heaps.
    My favourite cider is made out of a pear and apple blend.
  • Cheeky Rascal does a great Raspberry Apple cider that I really love. I miss the range of ciders in the UK though.
  • edited November 2014
    I quite enjoy a good cider. There's definitely not many in Australia, but this place in Brisbane has a decent selection. From what I've heard Perth actually has a pretty solid import market for cider, so you probably have access to more.

Of the ones I've tried, my favourite is Gwynt y Ddraig's Black Dragon, but as a specialty import from Wales it's pretty expensive here.

I don't eat many apples, but I'm like Koeniou in that I tend to prefer eating Granny Smiths over other varieties.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Oh, the US has good apples year round. We just have better apples for about 1/4 of the year. I can get a perfectly solid apple any day of the year.
  • And California has good produce ALL THE TIME. MUAHAHAHAHA

Seriously, though, avocados.
  • But you also need water for your produce. How has that been fairing for you guys? ^_~
  • Fruit is super expensive in Japan. You can pay $40 or more for 15 strawberries, and I've seen avocados as high as $2 each.
  • Oranges are the best apples.
  • This hero used the stare effectively.
  • The silent, non violent protest. How all the worlds problems will be solved.
  • Dazzle369 said:

The silent, non violent protest. How all the worlds problems will be solved.

That, or guns.

Or nukes.

• Rym said:

Dazzle369 said:

The silent, non violent protest. How all the worlds problems will be solved.

That, or guns.

Or nukes.

Guns and nukes are how problems are perpetuated.
    These items are proposed as problem solvers in deluded dictatorships such as the US :^)
  • Let's not forget knives

Big, fuck-off shiny ones. Ones that look like they could skin a crocodile. Knives are good, because they don't make any noise, and the less noise they make, the more likely we are to use them. Shit 'em right up. Makes it look like we're serious. Guns for show, knives for a pro.
  • Maybe some balisongs to flip in both hands in front of our enemies to strike fear into them.
  • I've mastered 'the stare' in my classroom as well as 'the voice'.
  • I've mastered 'the stare' in my classroom as well as 'the voice'.

I'm imagining you using the stare and it would work, since you already have the dapper super villain look down ;^) .