This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

New Smartphone for 2015 - Dare I Sony?

So, I've been extensively researching smartphones. My old Nexus S (which had the perfect form factor aside from the low-res screen) died long ago, and I've been using the Nexus 4 I bought for world travel (unlocked) as my primary phone for a while now.

It's showing its age. No 4G support (just HDSPA+, which is still pretty fast), big and clunky (HUGE compared to the Nexus 4, yet tiny compared to the Nexus 6). Big old crack on the back panel that hasn't caused a problem yet, but will someday.

The smallest smartphone I can find is the Sony Xperia Z3 Compact.
http://www.sonymobile.com/us/products/phones/xperia-z3-compact/

It's actually smaller than the iPhone6, and also cheaper. Sony has promised lollipop any day now as well. Reports are that the battery life is actually the best of any phone out there by weight.

Problems:

1. Sony
2. Not stock Android
3. Fiddly little doors on the ports to make it immersion waterproof
4. Still way too big

This generation of phones is awful unless you have giant sausage hands and/or terrible eyes. I would just wait another generation, but I don't think this trend of giant-ass phones will end by the next cycle. I'd upgrade to the Nexus 5, but it's not enough of an upgrade from the 4 to be better than just waiting.

But man... Fuck Sony...

Comments

• I have the Z3 Compact. I'm really liking it. I held onto my Nexus S until a couple of months back so it's a big step forward for me.

The big Sony problem I have with it is the inability to remove the "What's New" application. If you hold the home button a shortcut to it pops up and I regularly activate it by accident. I see people talking about how to get rid of it online but I might wait until Lollipop and see if it's still a problem then. (I think Lollipop will probably come quite a bit later to the UK... They are saying early 2015.)

The fiddly doors are annoying and when they are open the connection feels fragile. I bought the charging dock so I wouldn't have to worry about opening or closing them frequently.

You are right about it still being too big. My hands aren't very big but this was still the best I could get.

I've been impressed with the battery so far! Lets hope it lasts.
  • Any problems with shitty ROMs can be resolved pretty easily by installing cyanogen or something.
  • Hopefully, this website should help: GSM Arena
    Full detailed specs for every phone on the market.
  • At this point, you just have to give in and pick something. You are doing the right thing, as that Nexus 4 really must be showing its age.

FWIW I am very impressed with the Moto software features that shipped with the Moto X Pure Edition. Huge step up in functionaility over my Nexus 5. Hoping Moto X gets Lollipop soon.
  • Rym said:

Sony has promised Lollipop any day now as well.

Last I checked, manufacturers can't be trusted to deliver that promise. Wait for Lollipop to drop and have decent reviews on the hardware.

Having played with a coworker's iPhone 6, I'm more convinced that staying with my iPhone 5 another year was a great idea. Maybe the S in iPhone 6s will be for "small"?
  • The Galaxy line is usually pretty good if you can get it without TouchWiz bullshit
  • okeefe said:

Rym said:

Last I checked, manufacturers can't be trusted to deliver that promise. Wait for Lollipop to drop and have decent reviews on the hardware.

Having played with a coworker's iPhone 6, I'm more convinced that staying with my iPhone 5 another year was a great idea. Maybe the S in iPhone 6s will be for "small"?
    I have a feeling we'll be seeing a new smaller phone the next generation. Maybe we'll have an iPhone 6c that's basically the 6 guts in a smaller phone like how the 5c was basically just the 5 guts in colored shells.

• Rym said:

Dare I Sony?

No. Duh.
  • Note 4, despite the touchwiz crap it has the best screen. Also Samsung Gear VR.

Otherwise why not just the new Nexus?

Also, what's everyones' opinion on smart watches?

I have the Samsung Gear 2 Neo. Really cool for notifications, starting up tracking on Endomondo (when I'm getting on the bike) and other useful little gizmos. But especially looking like James Bond when you receive a call.
  • The new Nexus is the BIGGEST of the big phones.

Oh and about the Lollipop/Moto X thing, apparently it is rolling out in the next day or two. Believe it when I see it, I suppose.
  • Matt said:

At this point, you just have to give in and pick something. You are doing the right thing, as that Nexus 4 really must be showing its age.

Actually... It isn't. It's perfectly usable. The battery lasts all day. Every app works fine and is super fast/responsive. The GPS works great.

The sole reason I'm looking to upgrade is the huge crack on the back that will eventually kill it, and the lack of 4G. There is nothing else even remotely wrong with it, and there is no other reason to upgrade.

• You might be able to get a replacement refurb for free from google. Supposedly they're pretty good about that sort of thing, at least with cracked screens. I'm not sure about cracked backs.
  • I cracked the back of mine 2 days after I got it, and they switched it out right quick.
  • Rym said:

Matt said:

At this point, you just have to give in and pick something. You are doing the right thing, as that Nexus 4 really must be showing its age.

Actually... It isn't. It's perfectly usable. The battery lasts all day. Every app works fine and is super fast/responsive. The GPS works great.

The sole reason I'm looking to upgrade is the huge crack on the back that will eventually kill it, and the lack of 4G. There is nothing else even remotely wrong with it, and there is no other reason to upgrade.

Well shit, if that's the case and you are so hung up on the size, then buy yourself another Nexus 4 when this thing goes.

I am impressed the phone is doing so well. I only had mine for less than a year (switched to Android when I got Glass). I didn't mind the no-4G but I got a Nexus 5 for the fuck of it, and paid miserably. It gave me tons of issues.

• edited November 2014
    All the Sony Z* line will be getting an upgrade to 5.0.

On lollipop all programs must be removable. This was directed at carrier bloatware but may also assist with handset specific problems.
    okeefe said:

Rym said:

Which carrier didn't upgrade when they stated that they would?
    Reviews are already decent on the hardware, that's the main thing about Sony phones, their hardware is great.
    Apple can't be trusted to do big screens their 'retina' dropped to 326ppi (in comparison most 4.7" phones like the HTC One (M7) is 468, plus the majority of the phone's front has non functional bezel).
    I just assumed the 's' was for 'slick marketing'.
    Post edited by sK0pe on
  • Rym said:

Nexus S (which had the perfect form factor aside from the low-res screen)

When I arbitrarily pick up my Z3c there are 4 ways the phone could be orientated and only one of those 4 is useful. The Nexus S body was ideal.
  • I'm pondering the same phone, I haven't been super pleased with my gen 1 Moto X.

My problem is these phones continue to not meet my expectations as far as responsiveness. My Nexus 4 felt great for about 6 month and then seemed to age rapidly. My Moto X seems to hang up when I have navigation running. Maybe I'm expecting too much from computer that fits in the palm (ish) of my hand.
  • My Nexus 4 felt great for about 6 month and then seemed to age rapidly.

What do you mean by that? The phone didn't get slower, and nothing smartphones do except games got more resource intensive. There's no reason at all for it to be slower.

• I don't know why, it feels like the apps get more intensive. Google Maps in particular which I use very heavily.
  • I don't know why, it feels like the apps get more intensive. Google Maps in particular which I use very heavily.

Haven't really run into that, if anything all the apps have been getting faster from my regular use.

Are you maybe looking at how fast you get a signal or is it when you're using it in street view?
  • sK0pe said:

Which carrier didn't upgrade when they stated that they would?
    Reviews are already decent on the hardware, that's the main thing about Sony phones, their hardware is great.

1. The fact that carriers can even be involved between this interaction between owners and manufacturers is messed up.
    2. Historically, manufacturers have done a poor job of delivering on Android upgrade promises. That said, I haven't paid attention to who's promised Lollypop.
    sK0pe said:

Apple can't be trusted to do big screens their 'retina' dropped to 326ppi (in comparison most 4.7" phones like the HTC One (M7) is 468, plus the majority of the phone's front has non functional bezel).

Majority?

The bezelution isn't evenly distributed yet.
  • edited November 2014
    Oh the Johns on display.
    Post edited by Conan-San on
  • I'm pondering the same phone, I haven't been super pleased with my gen 1 Moto X.

My problem is these phones continue to not meet my expectations as far as responsiveness. My Nexus 4 felt great for about 6 month and then seemed to age rapidly. My Moto X seems to hang up when I have navigation running. Maybe I'm expecting too much from computer that fits in the palm (ish) of my hand.

Was it responsive early on? I've been extremely pleased with my second gen Moto X, but it is definitely in the behemoth size class. That first gen Moto X is one of the smallest phones still sold. Smaller than the Nexus 4 by a bit. Larger than the Sony compact model by a meager 0.09". Looks like it is starting to hit clearance sites, though. This eBay shop is unloading the developer edition for a crazy-low $240.
  • I admit that this is probably a perception problem on my part. Maybe I've installed a malware by accident. I don't know.
  • I admit that this is probably a perception problem on my part. Maybe I've installed a malware by accident. I don't know.

One benefit of using an uncracked iPhone.
  • Apreche said:

I admit that this is probably a perception problem on my part. Maybe I've installed a malware by accident. I don't know.

Yeah, stock android doesn't include a flashlight and they're pretty much all malware/spyware.
  • Apreche said:

I admit that this is probably a perception problem on my part. Maybe I've installed a malware by accident. I don't know.

Yeah, stock android doesn't include a flashlight and they're pretty much all malware/spyware.
    Big flashlight button is right in the pulldown menu now, once you get the 5.0/Lollipop upgrade.

• Umm... Open any web browser or basically any app? Who needs a "flashlight" app? For anything? Ever?
  • Someone who needs the light to stay on more than 30 seconds or so before timing out and locking the phone. "Flashlight mode" is supposed to give you light for as long as you need it.

Now back to your original question, yeah that's gotta be some obscure use case. I've never loaded a flashlight app on my phone. I use it for light fairly often, but I just hit the side button to bring up the lock screen for a second or two.