This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Wednesday - Cucumber Quest

Tonight on GeekNights, we review the delightful webcomic Cucumber Quest by Gigi d.g. Beautiful art, great characters: in some ways a cross between the fantasy parts of Bone and the zany fun of Adventure Time. But first, Sailor Moon Crystal is basically being reanimated in a style more like the original anime on Blu Ray, so there's literally no reason to watch it on TV/Crunchyroll. Rym gives us a brief review of Rick and Morty (of which he is a great fan), and Brian K. Vaughan is in New York (as you should be).

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• I've given up on keeping up with the webcomic. I plan on reading the books I get from Kickstarter to see what's going on with the story.
  • Rochelle said:

I've given up on keeping up with the webcomic. I plan on reading the books I get from Kickstarter to see what's going on with the story.

I am using the same strategy.
  • edited December 2014
    > Doesn't recommend the Black Moon arc of R which is a decent little time travel story with shades of Searching for Superman.
    > Goes and recommends Fairy Tail which is a half rate One Piece rip off.

Uh. Huh.
    Post edited by Conan-San on
  • Rochelle said:

I've given up on keeping up with the webcomic. I plan on reading the books I get from Kickstarter to see what's going on with the story.

I keep up with it. Reading webcomics is part of my morning routine.
  • Conan-San said:

> Doesn't recommend the Black Moon arc of R which is a decent little time travel story with shades of Searching for Superman.
    > Goes and recommends Fairy Tail which is a half rate One Piece rip off.

Uh. Huh.

Fairy Tail?

• Rym said:

Fairy Tail?

Girl is a wizard in generic fantasy setting, shonen hero's journey results for 46 volumes. Now that History's Strongest Disciple has finished, is also Japan's primary strategic fanservice/cheesecake art reserve.

• I was just curious why the hell he brought up Fairy Tail. I've never seen it, let alone recommended it to anyone.
  • Rym said:

I was just curious why the hell he brought up Fairy Tail. I've never seen it, let alone recommended it to anyone.

I'll read it eventually, if the first ten or so chapters manage to catch my attention enough.
  • If the first episode is any indication it's just a shittier version of The Slayers mixed in with everything bad from One Piece, just watch Slayers instead.
  • Did you forget that my taste in manga would be best described by a slow-mo shot of someone throwing themselves on their own sword?
  • I think he confused us talking about "Folktales from Japan."
  • edited December 2014
    As someone who has watched Legend of the Galactic Heroes, you watch it alone because nobody's got time to coordinate watching that many episodes.
    But I point out that the OVA is still shorter than most popular shonen shows, and I predict that Yowapedal will go longer than it.
    Also, LotGH is awesome.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • Rym said:

I think he confused us talking about "Folktales from Japan."

Ooooh, that makes much more sense now.
  • edited December 2014
    Was listening to the show, Scott did actually say Fairy Tail and went uncorrected.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • MrPeriod said:

Amália Rodrigues

FYI, the pronunciation would be (and forgive me for not using proper phonetic notation), A-mah-lia Ro-drigz ("Rodrigues" has only 2 syllables in Portuguese while the Spanish equivalent, Rodriguez, has 3).
  • Noted!

I'm planning on talking about her at AB in the updated panel. ;^)
  • On a side note, Comic Rocket is awesome and, frankly, the agrigation service I needed that wasn't an installation of Tiny Tiny RSS) but it's super annoying that some comic hosts have a stick up their butt about it (often about ads)
  • edited December 2014
    Ugh... Comic Rocket pisses me off. I hate how they hijack the comic's actual URL and put this stupid wraparound banner on every site.

You're not the comic's host; you're just an advertiser. Get dat shit off my screen.
    Post edited by Daikun on
  • The banner is what makes co if rocket work. If you use the next button the comic itself provides, how does comic rocket know to move your bookmark forward? Using their controls is the entire point.
  • Conan-San said:

On a side note, Comic Rocket is awesome and, frankly, the agrigation aggregation service I needed that wasn't an installation of Tiny Tiny RSS). but it's super annoying that sSome comic hosts have a stick up their butt about it Comic Rocket (often about ads).

Install a spell check or something dude, I had to read your post three times for me to understand what you said and now regret doing so.
  • I'm glad Rym digs Rick and Morty. It's fantastic. I adore it on every level and I'm actually going to try and cosplay as Rick for MAGFest. The Doctor Who comparison is pretty apt but it's actually...great. And it focuses on actual science and continuity rather than make shit up on the spot.
  • sK0pe said:

Conan-San said:

On a side note, Comic Rocket is awesome and, frankly, the agrigation aggregation service I needed that wasn't an installation of Tiny Tiny RSS). but it's super annoying that sSome comic hosts have a stick up their butt about it Comic Rocket (often about ads).

Install a spell check or something dude, I had to read your post three times for me to understand what you said and now regret doing so.
    The one spelling mistake and that first bracket I cop to.

The rest is, however, fine.
  • Ugh. I just want Cucumber to start standing up to Almond. Nightmare Knight CLEARLY wants all of this to stop, but everyone else (except Cucumber) is so set on playing their roles.
  • It's all part of the narrative, though. The knight is tired of it, but he's done this dance before. Characters change, but the steps are the same to him.

It's also fun to notice how all magic cast in the world can be directly linked to their owner based on particle effects. Those little touches are the best.
  • Whoever is recommending Akame ga Kill to this podcast either has not listened long enough, or is totally oblivious to the kind of anime this show is into.

Akame ga Kill is for tweens or young teenagers who have barely seen any anime, and their minds will be blown by EXTREME anime where "no one is safe" (except the main character; he's totally safe) If you've watch any anime of any depth, and you enjoyed the experience, Akame ga Kill is most likely not for you.
  • Haha! O Peridot! the day you've been waiting for has arrived :smiley:
  • Whoever is recommending Akame ga Kill to this podcast either has not listened long enough, or is totally oblivious to the kind of anime this show is into.

Akame ga Kill is for tweens or young teenagers who have barely seen any anime, and their minds will be blown by EXTREME anime where "no one is safe" (except the main character; he's totally safe) If you've watch any anime of any depth, and you enjoyed the experience, Akame ga Kill is most likely not for you.

If it's anything like the Manga - which it probably is - then it's basically just fights, excuses for fights, and some light romance and intrigue for spice. It is what it is - not the worst, but far from the best.
  • And Ryms review of Rick and Morty remains true because season two has been fantastic!