This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Show Ideas and Reminders

Comments

• 2bfree said:

Trolling/Trolls/Trolling trolls (Rym's recent hobby)

• Wii games, party games, stream
  • How to read the Internet!

Reading books does not make you smart, reading the RIGHT books makes you smart.

Tell us how to be Internet smart.

Best sites for a quick check, like your phone. Best News sites. Best videos to subscribe to. Best forums (lol). Most efficient use of time. The MUST READS. The Read Weekly.

Give us tips, and general advice on where, when and what to read, to be considered "up to date" on tech and news.
  • RymRym
    edited December 2014

Best News sites.

Fark.
    Google News.

Post edited by Rym on
  • How to read the Internet!

It's one of the first episodes ever, so it's probably out of date, but it's out there.

http://frontrowcrew.com/geeknights/20051114/reading-the-web/
  • Azumanga Daioh is a fantastic show that is all but forgotten by everyone but anime fans who were watching when the fan subs came out. It's so forgotten that despite Funimation picking up stuff like Noir and re releasing it, Azumanga Daioh remains left in the cold as best I can tell. Thankfully, someone has uploaded the whole thing to Youtube, so it's easy to watch and would make for a fine episode I think. If nothing else, everyone here should watch it.
  • This forum is, fortunately, one of those places where Azumanga Daioh was never forgotten.
  • This forum is, fortunately, one of those places where Azumanga Daioh was never forgotten.

• True, but the podcast goes out to a far wider audience. The children deserve to know the truth about Santa!
  • Cabs. Specifically the whole Uber/Lyft/Whatever paradigm, medallions, regulation, deregulation, etc...
  • edited January 2015
    I know that there isn't much of a Geeknights spin to be put on sports, but how about today's news that Boston's being put forward as the US 2022 2024 Olympic host nominee? Given how the city struggles to cope with accommodation during PAX, I'm really not sure how they'd host the games.

(Edit) wrong year, oops.
    Post edited by etyek on
  • etyek said:

I know that there isn't much of a Geeknights spin to be put on sports, but how about today's news that Boston's being put forward as the US 2022 Olympic host nominee? Given how the city struggles to cope with accommodation during PAX, I'm really not sure how they'd host the games.

A Boston Olympics would be a disaster, and I am confident it won't happen.
  • Yeah, I'm fairly sure it'll end up in the Middle East just like the World Cup. OK, wider question (and again, I realise it's way outside regular Geeknight scope): If NYC doesn't seem to want the expense and hassle, is any other US city viable?
    As a Brit who enjoyed the London games, I think it's a ridiculously expensive vanity project, but it does get governments to spend money on urban regeneration and infrastructure.
  • etyek said:

Yeah, I'm fairly sure it'll end up in the Middle East just like the World Cup. OK, wider question (and again, I realise it's way outside regular Geeknight scope): If NYC doesn't seem to want the expense and hassle, is any other US city viable?
    As a Brit who enjoyed the London games, I think it's a ridiculously expensive vanity project, but it does get governments to spend money on urban regeneration and infrastructure.

Los Angeles and Chicago are posssibilities who have expressed interest before. I'm not sure if the fact that LA has already hosted the Olympics twice before works for or against it, however.
  • edited January 2015
    There are probably large cities in the South that would be viable due to lots of space available - maybe Dallas or Houston? Atlanta hosted in 1996.
    Northeastern cities for the most part don't have the spare space or transportation capacity to make Olympics workable.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • London hosted many times before too.

LA could host the games with a year's notice if another host city pulls out. I think that was the standby plan for a few decades. I guess London could do it again easily too, if nobody else was up for it.
  • Didn't London host three years ago and it was a traffic disaster?
  • Given the movie will premier on February 13, I think a 50 shades of gray book club episode would be good. Yall could incorporate discussion of the history of erotic literature in the episode.
  • Given the movie will premier on February 13, I think a 50 shades of gray book club episode would be good.

• Coldguy said:

Given the movie will premier on February 13, I think a 50 shades of gray book club episode would be good.

video
    No no, don't be so harsh. That is something I would like to see. Maybe not for the right reasons, but the fact remains.

• Churba said:

Coldguy said:

Given the movie will premier on February 13, I think a 50 shades of gray book club episode would be good.

video
    No no, don't be so harsh. That is something I would like to see. Maybe not for the right reasons, but the fact remains.

• Governor Drew Curtis.
  • Has there ever been a show on GO?
  • I hope this isn't too much work, but I was wondering if there could be a feature for the Podcasts that allows the listener to skip into a particular section.
  • Something along these lines?

• Something along these lines?

More like hyperlinks that skip right to a certain segment.

• I have listened to podcasts in the past that have "chapter markers" that allowed you to just skip to the next chapter of the podcast.
  • Live comedy.
  • Your Hopes/Dreams/Wishes for a Settlers of Catan Movie or TV Show.
  • It's like Game of Thrones but its on the shitties BBC channel (which I think is 4 but I don't really know anything about BBC).