This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Steven Universe (and general Cartoon Network chat)

edited January 2013 in Everything Else
Aw shit son, looks like this will be a show to keep an eye on:

Background info:
Slated to debut in 2013, Steven Universe is a coming-of-age story told from the perspective of Steven, the youngest member of a team of magical Guardians of the Universe. The animated series was conceived as part of the shorts development initiative at Cartoon Network Studios, and is created by Emmy and Annie Award-nominated writer and storyboard artist Rebecca Sugar (Adventure Time). Sugar is Cartoon Network’s first solo female show creator.
If you haven't seen it already, check out Sugar's short film "Singles", which is pretty damn good:

Looks like there might be a few other good shows debuting on CN's 2013 slate as well. I like the sound of Uncle Grandpa: "Uncle Grandpa is based upon the Emmy®-nominated short of the same name and follows the exploits of Uncle Grandpa—everyone in the world’s 'magical' uncle and grandpa."

I also like the premise of Clarence: "From creator Skyler Page, Clarence is a new original animated series about an optimistic boy who wants to do everything. Because everything is amazing!"

With shows like these and Adventure Time popping up more frequently, and animated movies in theatres being good/decent more often than not (see: Pixar, Disney, recent Dreamworks offerings, stuff like Paranorman and Frankenweenie, etc.), might we be in another golden age of original animation?

Comments

• Since this is cartoon network general chat, too - Powerpuff girls coming back, Young Justice going away. THE CIRRRRRCLE OF LIIIIIIIIFE!
  • edited January 2013
    Updated Powerpuff Girls designs: yea or nay?

I think they look fine, but I think I'd need to see them in motion first to judge properly. Feels like when I first saw the G4 pony designs.
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • Nay. There's too much going on with them. The hair, the anime eyebrows, the weirdly perfect semi-circle mouths -- they're going to hurt to watch move.
  • I like. Any out of the ordinary style is awesome to me. I would much rather have lots of crazy different styles all over, even if some were ugly, than a bunch of conservative similar styles. Looking at you mainstream anime/manga industry!
  • Adventure Time! Regular Show!
  • Updated Powerpuff Girls designs: yea or nay?
    Is that a real thing? Is there going to be more powerpuff girls? I'd watch it; I don't like this style as much; I think it's too southpark and it'd be harder to animate the squash and stretch that was so important to the original series, but it's cute.
  • Just a short special they'll be airing later this year, as I understand it.
  • If Craig McCracken is involved, then I'm all for it.
  • I will miss Young Justice :(
    I will miss Green Lantern.

Oh yeah, that's the other thing they're cancelling.

I hardly new it :(
    Why are they canceling all of the good shows. First The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, and now this. I hope they don't cancel the new TMNT.
  • I hardly new it :(
    Why are they canceling all of the good shows. First The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, and now this. I hope they don't cancel the new TMNT.
    Well, TMNT is not on Cartoon Network, so it might have a chance. Might.

I hardly new it :(
    Avengers is not being cancelled, just title changed and being rebooted to be more like the movie universe. Which I think is a crappy decision considering how good the show was...but cross promotion...
  • edited January 2013
    I don't watch any of the current superhero cartoons, so it doesn't really affect me, but I do feel for the people who have been watching. They sound like really good shows, for sure. Definitely sound like they should have been given more credit by the network.

Still excited to see the new programming, though. Here's hoping it'll all be good so that the other shows didn't die in vain. /crossing fingers
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • I can't wait to see Steven Universe. I've been looking forward to that.

The reason I am not on board with the new PPG designs is because they look too little golden kids book. Sorta inspired by a Tiny Kitten Teeth sort of look. I just don't think it would really work for a PPG story.
  • Final character designs just came out on the new Facebook page:

• I didn't know Viga was in this show.
  • So... it was funny to me when I realized I went to school with Steven.

Me and Chie had classes with him, and he helped teach me flash.

He did not produce any superpowers from his belly button. :(
  • I didn't know Viga was in this show.
    And I was just thinking "MUST COSPLAY THIS THING!" XD
  • Oh My God. Tonights episode... Awesome.
  • oh! now I can't wait to get home and watch it!
  • edited January 2015
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Steven sounds voice sounds off. Did the voice actors change?

• Oh, it is an awesome episode.

Why can't they be longer?
  • Garnet's reaction.... lol
  • Some of them will be appearing at MAGFest too, as to why that still remains a mystery.
  • Why? Because panel? I dunno, but I'm going to be there come Hell or hangover
  • SWATrous said:

Why? Because panel? I dunno, but I'm going to be there come Hell or hangover

Yea!