This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Jon Stewart steps down from The Daily Show

This fine young man has stepped down from one of the most important sort-of news shows in modern history.

He is only the second host in the show's 19 year history. A show I've watched from episode one.

Most people today don't even know who Craig Kilborn is.

What's next for Jon? Who's going to replace him?

Comments

• I thought I knew who Craig Killborn was, but I was thinking of Craig Ferguson. Coincidentally the host before Craig Ferguson on the Late Late Show was Craig Killborn.
  • I would allow Craig Fergenson as a replacement.
  • The A.V. Club quoted audience members saying Stewart said he was "retiring."
    From some news article.

Also, damn, those are some big shoes to fill.
  • Nuri said:

Also, damn, those are some big shoes to fill.

Those shoes are impossible to fill.
    He is recognised internationally for being awesome, intelligent and disambiguating the craziness of US politics, events and giving the liberal perspective.

I particularly loved watching him interviewed by Fox and destroying the Fox host's argument.
  • Rym said:

Most people today don't even know who Craig Kilborn is.

I don't know if it was a telecaster or a stratocaster, but I do know who he is because you're always talking about it. ^_~
  • He just couldn't do it without Colbert. Its like an old couple who die within weeks of each other.
  • Maybe he'll jump onto late-night TV adjacent to Colbert.
  • Maybe he'll jump onto late-night TV adjacent to Colbert.

I doubt it, late-night TV show hosts are dumb, sounding boards for their guests who attempt to be funny and are full of themselves. The ironic Stephen Colbert character already exists and fits this role while Stewart does not.
  • I think Jon is retiring, he's made many a joke about how terrible he looks out of his makeup and not under flattering lighting. :P
  • I'm glad he's stepping down. I liked the Daily Show for two or three years, but after a while it felt like I was watching the same thing over and over again. A new host could bring new life to the show.
  • I wonder who is going to take over? My money is on one of the correspondents. Possibly Jason Jones or Jordan Klepper. It seems weird that they hired Klepper so close to this announcement. Maybe he's a successor.
  • Why does it have to be a white guy taking over?
  • HMTKSteve said:

Why does it have to be a white guy taking over?

Look, we gave the black guy his own show. Isn't that enough for you people?

• Greg said:

I'm glad he's stepping down. I liked the Daily Show for two or three years, but after a while it felt like I was watching the same thing over and over again. A new host could bring new life to the show.

This is pretty much how I felt. Like it's a decent way to get news or at least partial updates on news, but they still have to follow a formula for the presentation of the content. It just gets kinda old after a while. Occasionally I'll watch an episode here and there but I don't tune in for every one.
    sK0pe said:

Maybe he'll jump onto late-night TV adjacent to Colbert.

I doubt it, late-night TV show hosts are dumb, sounding boards for their guests who attempt to be funny and are full of themselves. The ironic Stephen Colbert character already exists and fits this role while Stewart does not.
    The only late night host I like is Conan and I really dislike his show, but I really enjoy his features. Things like clueless gamer and videos like getting an Uber with Ice Cube and Kevin Hart are just great.
  • HMTKSteve said:

The Daily Show with Jessica Williams has a fantastic ring to it, though.
  • I would vote for Rachel Maddow, but she's already got her own gig elsewhere.
  • Not my idea, but wouldn't Tina Fey be perfect?

Or Rym. Scott and Lewis Black alternate as guests.
  • Starfox said:

Not my idea, but wouldn't Tina Fey be perfect?

Oh please no. She was annoying on Weekend Update. She wouldn't do any better on another news-ish show.
  • Weekend Update died when Jane Curtin left, as far as I'm concerned.
  • Jessica Wlliams should be the new host. She is so good on that show!!
  • HMTKSteve said:

The Daily Show with Jessica Williams has a fantastic ring to it, though.
    She's definitely my favorite anchor from recent episodes that I've watched.
  • Jessica Wlliams should be the new host. She is so good on that show!!

Agreed.
  • Greg said:

Weekend Update died when Jane Curtin left, as far as I'm concerned.

Did you see SNL's 40th anniversary last night? Jane Curtin came back to host Weekend Update.