This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Humans, Global Warming and Claims

edited January 2007 in Politics
Please comment on if these are ordinary claims or extraordinary claims.

1) Global warming is real
2) Global warming is caused by humans
3) If we do something now we can stop global warming

Though this is not as juicy as the "Is there a God" debate I find it interesting and we DO have some knowledge about global warming.

Comments

• edited January 2007
    1) Is ordinary. (It's what happens when you are coming out of an ice age like we currently are.)
    2) Is extraordinary.
    3) Is extraordinary since it depends on the truth of #2.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • 1) Ordinary. Global warming is part of the natural cycle of the planet. As our elliptical path around the sun changes over hundreds/thousands of years the Earth warms and cools in proportion with the overall distance from our heat source (the sun). This is a scientific fact.

2) Extraordinary: While global warming is a naturally occurring event, it normally take at least a couple hundred years for it to really change. Humans sure as hell have sped up the process.

3) Extraordinary: I will tell you this, once we decide to try and fix it, things will be to far gone for us to do anything about it. Unless we are off the planet by then humanity will quite possibly have fucked itself.

• 3) Extraordinary: I will tell you this, once we decide to try and fix it, things will be to far gone for us to do anything about it. Unless we are off the planet by then humanity will quite possibly have fucked itself.

Humanity's defining feature is that we either adapt to our environment or adapt our environment to suit our needs. We'll build stronger buildings (or move out of hurricane zones), better systems for heating and cooling, and continue rocking on with our bad selves.
  • The risk isn't human survival, it's damage to ecosystems, food chains. Animal groups going extinct, and the ramifications of.
  • Dazzle369 said:

The risk isn't human survival, it's damage to ecosystems, food chains. Animal groups going extinct, and the ramifications of.

Oh of course, I'm just saying humanity won't be doomed. Right away at least.