This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Podcast apps

I am looking for an app that I can use to have all of the Podcasts I listen to in one place. What do you suggest? I need one for Android, and I'd like one for my PC as well.
Thanks!

Comments

• I recall way back in 2013 we the forum decided that BeyondPod was the winner for Android. I still use it and it is great.
  • Pocket Casts has always treated me well on Android. Never used one on PC.
  • Official Apple Podcast app.
  • On the iPhone, I'm still really digging Overcast because...

- Smart Speed: reducing gaps between words but not speeding up the audio... like Rym's "Make us sound clever" filter.

- Voice Boost: decent compression and normalization for shittily recorded podcasts.

- Priority Playlists: hard to describe but just mostly works great.

There's also a really handy web interface and podcast player which is now one of my home tabs, so I can easily refresh to see if new podcasts are on my phone, and if I don't want to listen to them I can delete them right on my laptop.

You can also share a link to a podcast episode with a time stamp, and everyone can just listen from that moment. This is a board game review from the latest Geeknights.

https://overcast.fm/podcasts/episode/11195610451561?t=1299
  • When I was last on iPhone (about 2 years ago), Downcast was great. I hear people bitch about the official Apple app constantly, though I can't say exactly why.
  • edited March 2015
    I really like the latest version of Pocketcasts for Android, that is my recommendation. On PC, the Zune software remains a surprisingly good podcatcher.
    Post edited by Hitman Hart on
  • I still use dogcatcher. Phone-only, but I only listen to podcasts on the phone. It collects 10 neglected episodes of everything I follow, guaranteeing entertainment if I mess up and have a long subway ride unexpectedly.
  • I use Stitcher daily, but it is a walled garden. You can just add an RSS feed to it to add your fave podcast and not all podcasts are on it. I mean, FNPL is on it as well as all of NPRs stuff, but Hello Internet, for example, isn't.
  • The podcast creator has to agree that Stitcher can earn money off the podcasts by inserting ads and stuff. My podcast is CC 4.0, so I don't give a shit. Other podcast producers do, I guess.
  • I still use iTunes combined with iPod on the go.
  • I'm still going with BeyondPod on the phone as the developer keeps up and takes advantage of the new assets and functions of Android as it is updated, before competitors.
    The Smartplay is the killer function for me on this application as it allows you to form a custom playlist of your podcasts (assuming you listen to many) and orders them appropriately. e.g. if my favourite podcast has just released an episode it will be put on the top of the list immediately, shuffling everything down and still keeping extra episodes of each show if I want them.

Great lockscreen and Lollipop shroud integration.

Pocketcasts is one that can compete with BeyondPod on looks but does not provide as much customisation as BeyondPod and Doggcatcher.

I don't really listen to podcasts on the PC of if I do it is on Youtube. However you can set up something on Feedly (which can be accessed by BeyondPod too) if you want to listen on both phone and PC.
  • sK0pe said:

The Smartplay is the killer function for me on this application as it allows you to form a custom playlist of your podcasts (assuming you listen to many) and orders them appropriately. e.g. if my favourite podcast has just released an episode it will be put on the top of the list immediately, shuffling everything down and still keeping extra episodes of each show if I want them.

That's exactly how the priority playlists in Overcast work, but I couldn't be bothered to type it out.

• I use Podkicker Pro, probably just because I've used it for years. I listen to about 6+ hours of podcasts per day (ADHD) and just listen to whatever I feel like at the moment, so I think my use case might vary from other people here.
  • Ikatono said:

I use Podkicker Pro, probably just because I've used it for years. I listen to about 6+ hours of podcasts per day (ADHD) and just listen to whatever I feel like at the moment, so I think my use case might vary from other people here.

Pretty much exactly what I was going to say
  • Pocket Casts serves all my podcasts needs. It also works with chromecast which allows me to listen to my podcast from home entertainment center.
  • Podkicker Pro theoretically works with chromecast, but I've time I've tried it plays for half a second then crashes.
  • Ikatono said:

Podkicker Pro theoretically works with chromecast, but I've time I've tried it plays for half a second then crashes.

Mine works. I'm using the beta though
  • I also use Dogcatcher on android. I used to use ACast, but I switched a few months ago and am much happier with Dogcatcher.
  • Trying to figure out how to mark an episode as played in Overcast. I find this tweet:

With this response at the top of the list:

My first thought was, "does Twitter show people I know's replies first?"
  • No idea. That's a very old tweet though, and Overcast works totally different now.
  • Overcast added ads. See you again never!

What should I switch to on iOS?
  • I've not noticed the ads yet.
  • It seems I payed for an in app purchase last year for dark theme and uploads, so it doesn't show me ads at all. Dodged a bullet there!
  • Apparently you can subscribe to Pro or whatever for $10/year. For how much I listen to podcasts, that's approximately nothing.

But... I'm loathe to reward adding ads.
  • Dogcatcher is still my prefered podcatcher.

It's a little GNU-like, in that it has a million billion options behind a million billion menues, but you can safely ignore them unless you're crazy.