This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Avengers (with spoilers)

Comments

• INB4 Age of Ultron.

Apparently there is a spinoff for Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. in the works starting Hunter and Mockingbird. Also there's a rumor flying around for a Ms. Marvel TV show, and the titular character is Kamala Khan.

Also, Daredevil is pretty damn good.
  • I almost didn't watch the second Captain America movie because all of this Marvel TV stuff has looked so unappealing to me. I can't fathom any of these shows being any good. I am home sick today, though, and just watched Winter Soldier. Quite glad I did. It hit the marks very well for an action movie, and now I won't be totally out of the loop going into Avenger 2.
  • Winter Solider is my favorite Marvel movie and deserves high rating outside of the super hero genre as well.
  • Cremlian said:

Winter Solider is my favorite Marvel movie and deserves high rating outside of the super hero genre as well.

Captain America is just generally my favourite MCU thing. Everything related to that subset of the story has been fun and interesting without fail, at least to me.
  • Winter Soldier is my favorite Marvel movie. It therefore is probably my favorite superhero movie. It's just a really good and emotional action thriller with a good heart and a great leading man.
  • Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes is the best thing Marvel has done since Punisher War Zone. Ya'll should watch it on Netflix or whatever if you haven't yet. I've seen most of the MCU stuff and I just have not enjoyed any of it nearly as much as EMH.
  • I've been actually rewatching Avengers: Earths Mightiest Heroes lately. It's good and fun.
  • Yea, I do like Earth's Mightest Heroes, but I'm a bit more of a fan of Wolverine and the X-men also short lived.
  • Daredevil has been renewed for a second season. A few different behind the scenes people, but it's still looking decent. http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/21/8464851/daredevil-season-2-netflix-announcement
  • edited April 2015
    Not surprising, considering the amount of people I heard that got netflix just to watch it and the near universal praise it received.

I find it funny that nearly every writer brought on is someone who worked with Whedon is in the past.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Well he is the all powerful Supreme Chancellor/Godfather of Marvel live-action media. People must give homage to him.

I'm ok with this.
  • Age of Ultron is out.
  • Went to see it yesterday. It was good and a lot of fun to watch. I did like that they fleshed out Hawkeye and Black Widow a lot more in this one. They were kind of hanger-ons for the first Avengers film and hardly rose farther up in other films.

However, I disagree with a couple of things, spoilers ahead.
    1. I don't think beating Hulk into submission is supposed to work.
    2. I have no clue why they decided to kill Quicksilver. I can understand the reasons from a movie-making perspective, but I still don't see a lot of purpose other than his power being too strong and perhaps a "take that" to the X-Men movies. It did kind of subverted my expectations as I thought Barton was going to bite it when they showed the goodbye scene with his wife.
    3. Did they actually name the character Klaw? I don't think I've heard the character named in any way but perhaps I missed it. Anyway, no clue why the character was in a trailer when it was basically just a cameo.
    4. Not sure why they didn't have The Falcon come in as support alongside War Machine during the rescue scene. The Falcon does become a "New Avenger" at the end but I wish he was in that scene to give a basis for that other than people having to be familiar with Captain America: The Winter Soldier.
    5. The russian accent on the twins was atrocious. I saw the german synchronization though so I'm not sure the english one suffers from the same.
    6. The teaser of Thanos was fun, but I have no clue how it actually ties into the film.
  • It was a very good two-hour fight scene. It largely failed as a "movie," but was worth the $19 to watch the special effects. Moreso than any of the other Marvel films, the Whedon Avengers films feel like they accurately adapt every aspect of superhero comics, the good and the bad, onto the big screen. I'm OK with that.
  • Yea it's a strange movie, I loved so many parts of it, laughed out-loud at the jokes and was sitting forward the whole movie taking in the great scenes but in the end it felt like a collection of great scenes and set pieces and but the whole of the movie lacked something, this may have been because of some editting problems, pace of story or just the sheer amount of characters that had to be moved around. Though if Marvel's plan is to make Avengers movies jumping on points for each wave of other films they did a good job.

Loved Hawkeye in the film.

I won't talk about stuff in more detail till after more people have seen it.

I'd say in the Marvel verse my movie order stands

1. Captain America 2
    2. Guardians of the Galaxy
    3. Avengers
    4. Iron Man
    5. Avengers Age of Ultron
    6. Thor
    7. Iron Man 3
    8. Captain America 1
    9. Thor 2
    10. Iron Man 2

I haven't really Seen a Marvel movie that I don't like though and it's going to be really really hard to top Captain America 2 or Guardians of the Galaxy which rate highly on my "best movie" ever list. The first Avengers while slower worked better as a full movie. Iron Man just had the magic.

Looking forward to what Cap 3 and Black Panther will bring to the table (and I am hoping Ant-man is as funny is it looks) I fear that they hit some greatness in a few movies that will be hard to pull off without feeling a little disappointed.
  • As much as I don't like going to see movies at the theater, I felt that this new Avengers movie was enhanced slightly by watching it on opening night with other fans. In the scene where Vision hands Mjollnir to Thor, the entire crowd audibly gasped, and watched the rest of the scene in a stunned, palpable silence. It was great.
  • Your 10-film order is very good! I think mine would be the same, with the exception of Iron Man 3, which I have not seen.

I also really liked how they played up Hawkeye's personality.
  • Cremlian said:

Loved Hawkeye in the film.

I thought it was going to be a "leaf on the wind" moment.
    I'm surprised they didn't bring in Coleson at all.
    They should have resurrected Quicksilver at the end.
  • UncleUlty said:

As much as I don't like going to see movies at the theater, I felt that this new Avengers movie was enhanced slightly by watching it on opening night with other fans. In the scene where Vision hands Mjollnir to Thor, the entire crowd audibly gasped, and watched the rest of the scene in a stunned, palpable silence. It was great.

That was a definitive Whedon moment.
  • Matt said:

Your 10-film order is very good! I think mine would be the same, with the exception of Iron Man 3, which I have not seen.

I also really liked how they played up Hawkeye's personality.

Iron Man 3 would be rated higher if not for it's really crappy ending. Before that there is a great spoiler villain plot and they managed to make a child sidekick who somehow was earnest and not annoying. The ending just pissed me off a lot.
  • Saw it yesterday. Loved it just about as much as the first one. More action, more character development...very, VERY well shot. Just as the first one was amazing at getting all the pieces in place for an entertaining movie, this one managed to give great characterization and standout moments for like 9 different characters.

2 Legit Problems.
    1. Ultron. Ultron comes straight out of the box unabashedly evil and destructive. James Spader kills it...but it makes no sense at all for him to have Whedon-style quips. Those work for all the heroes, but for the villains, it doesn't work as a way to humanize or levy the fact that he is a robot intent on pure destruction. These gags like the arm-ripping for example, just come off as awkward. He's a mid-tier villain, not a Loki or Wilson Fisk. Plus, I really didn't like how he would go into pompous, grandiose speeches about the folly of humankind. It doesn't really make sense for him to constantly quote the Pinocchio "No Strings on Me" philosophy in the end.

2. The Death. Every scene leading up to the moment is really telegraphed and done in the most basic, formulaic fashion. And after it occurred, I couldn't help but wonder if it was actually necessary. Joss, you really don't need to tug on my heartstrings or kill people to get me more emotionally involved in the movie. As the death is so unceremonious and doesn't appear to make for any growing character development, it feels like a waste. (But I did love the line/action said to Ultron after it happened)

Nitpicks.
    1. Why didn't we get the Hulk's vision after he was mind-controlled? Everyone else got one. I know the Hulk's power comes from anger, but that would have been really great if they showed clips or scenes from 2008's The Incredible Hulk to get more of an idea of Banner's sources of rage.

2. Captain America didn't really get much of an arc. We gained more insight on the other Avengers who weren't side characters (like Falcon or War Machine), but Steve is still pretty much Steve.
  • I thought uptrend snark was due to him being modeled after tony and having read and assimilated most of the Internet
  • I understood why he was sarcastic, but I thought it did a disservice to him as a villain. He was so funny that I actually thought it made him too likable. I was afraid the audience would be too sad about him losing because he's so damn likable.
  • edited May 2015
    I thought the snark was a critical component of Ultron's character. Ultron is very much Tony's child and is modeled extensively on him - mannerisms, modes of speech, the messianic complex - Ultron can tell this and he hates it. He's obsessed with surpassing Tony, but he can't escape the legacy, which is why he goes into a rage any time they suggest he's acting like a human but still uses a humanoid form, still uses sarcastic Tony-isms, and still can't see the interesting parts of humanity because he takes them all for granted.

As for me, I thought the set pieces were good, and oh so pretty, but things were weak in the middle (the Avengers are all down-and-out but all it takes is a rousing speech from Samuel L Jackson and they're back in fighting trim?), and the plot was oh so cookie-cutter.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • Axel said:

I understood why he was sarcastic, but I thought it did a disservice to him as a villain. He was so funny that I actually thought it made him too likable. I was afraid the audience would be too sad about him losing because he's so damn likable.

I wouldn't say it made him likable, but the script was trying to make a creation of pure annihilation more affable. The scene where he rips the guys arm off and stops to go "Oh, I'm sorry" in a sincere way takes away from his terror. It's hard not to do that, James Spader does a great job adapting to those snarky Tony-isms. I could see how these quips could be human character flaws he can't shake, but I don't believe it tonally it matches with what Ultron represents.

Speaking of that, the Vision was absolutely incredible. Special effect wise, acting wise, and giving him a very subtle, meaningful role was perhaps my favorite aspect of the entire film.
  • Apreche said:
    That is actually the best comment ever...

Also that 9 year old's review was hilarious
  • Avengers 2: exactly what I expected, but with some extra good bits I didn't. Fun characters and jokes with stupid costumes and accents, beautiful but stupid action scenes, a moron bad guy who is only defeated because he is more moronic than the heroes... but also a Hawkeye who wasn't boring, New York not being smashed up (I like the new non-urban base at the end), and a fight between Iron Sumo Man and the Hulk.

I never got round to watching Iron Man 2 or 3, so only one character who turned up had me scratching my head.
  • edited May 2015
    So this is what Crossbones will look like in Civil War. Pretty good costume in my opinion. Also never realized/knew that the Hydra/S.H.I.E.L.D. square boss from The Winter Soldier (the guy The Falcon fights inside the Triskelion when the Helicarrier crashes into it) was going to be Crossbones.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on