This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Steven Universe (and general Cartoon Network chat)

Comments

• edited March 2015

Why is Steven Universe making me cry right now?!

— T-Pain (@TPAIN) December 31, 2014
    Post edited by ninjarabbi on
  • I wonder how T pain would react to The Message.
  • So was Rym referring to the happenings in Rose Quartz's room as a reference to the Culture series, or was there something else I missed?
  • I have watched like 20 episodes and I'm so digging it. I had been intending to watch this for a while and putting it off as I do, but somebody in the Sailor Moon fandom describing it as "Minako, Rei and Setsuna try to raise a child" and I was like okay fine then and I loaded it up and basically fell in love with the show from the first notes of the opening theme.

We... are the Crystal Gems!
    We always save the day!
    And if you think we can't,
    We'll always find a way!

It's just so darn catchy!
  • Just wait until you hear the ending theme with lyrics, because I can't get it out of my head.
  • I want there to be an extended version of that song.
  • Have you seen this week's episode yet, Victor?
  • I was surprised at how good 'Joy Ride' was. Those pictures at the end make good phone wallpapers :)
  • Daikun said:

Have you seen this week's episode yet, Victor?

Yeah, but life events have slowed down the production of this weeks episode of Steven Universe Universe. Gonna edit the video and post it today, I Hope.
  • Image Dump Time!
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Fanart output on the show has increased by massive margins. It's wild. I'm guessing fan merch is going to start blowing up soon too.
  • edited April 2015
    It's because of the season finale, it struck every right chord with the tumblr crowd.

As for fanart, I loved this interpretation of an older steven and connie.

Post edited by La Petit Mort on
  • I'm totally down with that, but my only gripes are that shell necklaces are stupid and we do already know what he's gonna look like when he's older.
  • Just because he shapeshifted into an older form doesn't mean he'll be that way, either way it's just fanart.

But yeah, shell necklaces are stupid. I'm pretty sure the artist was going for a Brother Iz vibe though.
  • With "gemsonas" and everything I really hope the fans don't ruin this like they did ponies, because I actually watch this show.

• Eh, that facet of fandom will always exist. Last I heard they were all about calling themselves "gemtlemen". No thank you. However I don't see anything anything wrong with gemsonas, I really like the idea of people playing with a fantasy setting like that ,within reason. It's like fakemon, or people making themselves Hogwarts students.
  • With "gemsonas" and everything I really hope the fans don't ruin this like they did ponies, because I actually watch this show.

Bronies ruined nothing. Just ignore them. ;^)

• Today's episode was fantastic as usual, and man, Pearl just gets more Pearl-y every episode.

• That part was the highlight of the episode for me, it was really cute.

I really hope Sugar doesn't flanderize the gems, pearl is especially sensitive to this, as her anxiety can be easy exploited for jokes/plot points.

• We should just take the best scenes from the best animated things of all time and string them together to create the greatest animation of all time.

Akira motorcycle opening. Evangelion setup. Macross Itano circus battle. Utena walks up the stairs. End up in Laputa castle. Kenshiro punches a tank to death. Kill 'em all Tomino. The End.
  • edited April 2015
    You forgot about the Spike fight scene in Bebop that's been copied a few times. There's the one from the movie, and the 1st episode one has been too if I recall.
    Post edited by Axel on
  • Axel said:

You forgot about the Spike fight scene in Bebop that's been copied a few times. There's the one from the movie, and the 1st episode one has been too if I recall.

Yeah, that first episode one is top tier.
  • Took me four days, but I'm almost completely caught up now.

The Spirit Morph saga is definitely His Dark Materials. Dropping a reference like that in a show this good fired some neurons that haven't fired in a while - a shocking number of fictional tropes I enjoy are things I first encountered in those books that are also in Steven. Coming-of-age stories, intelligent animal companions, a "life essence" that is separate from the physical body...

Steven has Estelle, though.
  • Despite having started this thread, I fell behind on SU really quickly after it came out, and only just found time recently to power through the whole thing. Best decision~ <3

Really enjoyed the new episode. Given how Tumblr-y the show is, I'm not surprised they did a "get over the friend zone" episode. Also not surprised they handled it really, really well. They clearly expressed their point while also not making Jamie into a total douchenozzle, which I think will help the message get across to people who do believe in standard "nice guy wants girl and so he deserves/gets her" narratives. Jamie is still a nice, likeable guy, and not even that much of a Nice Guy (TM), yet the writers were still able to show that it's okay for Garnet not to return his feelings just because he's nice and thinks he loves her. Also that Jamie can still move on with his life after being let down.
  • I think he's in a bit of trouble for committing a federal crime.