This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Thursday - Luggage

Luggage is the topic of GeekNights tonight, since we apparently already did an episode on hats back in 2012. In the news, there was a great disturbance in the Net, as if millions of shitheads cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. (Reddit has banned several egregious subreddits). Lancaster shows us the same behavior that makes these people so terrible. Apparently GeekNights has a subreddit. Pizza hut did a good thing. Come to ConnectiCon. See panels and workshops! See screenings!

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• Toasters are very inefficient, no?
  • Dazzle369 said:

Toasters are very inefficient, no?

Aren't they 100% efficient? All the electricity gets turned into heat.
  • I imagine a lot of heat leaks through the open top.
  • edited June 2015
    Hey Scott: FUCK youuuuuuuu. Hater enough?
    Post edited by Ikatono on
  • Ikatono said:

Hey Scott: FUCK youuuuuuuu. Hater enough?

What did Scott hate?

• I'm hoping to satisfy Scott's need for a hater. My phrasing was awkward.
  • Ikatono said:

I'm hoping to satisfy Scott's need for a hater. My phrasing was awkward.

That's so weak, I don't even feel a need to retaliate.

But is that sentence not itself a minor retaliation?
  • Happened upon this on Google. People aren't wasting a second. Sizes from S to 6XL.
  • I wonder how many 6XL they'll actually sell.

• Ikatono said:

I imagine a lot of heat leaks through the open top.

Exactly. I wonder if anyone has done the research to know exactly how much energy is required to brown the bread. Rather than power a toaster. I imagine browning the bread doesn't require as much energy as the video demonstrates.

(let me have a go =D)

So fuck you Scott! Fuck you and your dufflebag!!
  • Rym's combination is 1-2-3-4-5.
  • Not expecting an answer :wink: but do these forums use hellbanning?
  • Not expecting an answer :wink: but do these forums use hellbanning?

I think it's an available feature. We haven't used even regular banning, so no need for hell banning either.
  • Daikun said:

Rym's combination is 1-2-3-4-5.

I use this thread's ID.
  • Apreche said:

Not expecting an answer :wink: but do these forums use hellbanning?

I think it's an available feature. We haven't used even regular banning, so no need for hell banning either.
    It's beena long time since we've banned anyone.

• The stuffed crust hot dog pizza needs to take it up a notch and use twinkies for the crust with hot dogs stuffed in them. Maybe drizzle some cheese whiz in there too.
  • pahahaa!
  • I've really gotta watch that movie again.
  • My old D&D mates pinged me to see what's up with my old character from those Forgotten Realms days. =P

I'd actually put serious thought into that question, well before anyone asked...
  • edited June 2015

The stuffed crust hot dog pizza needs to take it up a notch and use twinkies for the crust with hot dogs stuffed in them. Maybe drizzle some cheese whiz in there too.

Nah, just use the hot dogs that are filled with cheese.

Post edited by ninjarabbi on
  • Also, I bought this from REI a couple years ago when I went to Europe and basically just got rid of everything else. Very spacious, easy to get into, converts from backpack to handle bag easy.
  • I use this bicycle backpack.

Especial Medio

The Aviator travel backpack for weekend trips or as carry-on.

For luggage proper, I use an older iteration of this copilot guy, XL size.
  • What's up with Timbuk listing the models name, height and zodiac signs? Does Timbuk also double as a dating site?
  • What's up with Timbuk listing the models name, height and zodiac signs? Does Timbuk also double as a dating site?

They're SO HIP AND FRESH TO THE WAYS OF THE KIDZ

• I remember an episode very much like this about five years ago, and I said at the time that Scott was delusional that people who have wheels on their suitcases were wimps. It was so obvious that you were wrong and that as soon as you had to travel more you'd change your minds.

I typically travel with a Samsonite rolling suitcase I can take as hand luggage or check in. It's a standard size soft case and cost about €200. The case before that lasted about 4 years, and this one is still great and I bought it in 2012.

I also have a backpack type thing that folds very thin. This either fits inside my rolling suitcase for when I'm checking in. Later in the trip, sometimes before I've boarded the plane, I take it out and redistribute cameras and jackets and hats and ipads and stuff.

For my juggling show I have a big case that I made myself. It's built to the exact specifications of my show, and also to the allowed checked luggage size limits. It packs to exactly 23kg, the normal allowed weight. With this case I have a set of wheels that strap onto it. When I check the bag those wheels fit inside my other case, or I check both cases and use the wheels to hold my backpack.

Having two wheeled cases is a bit of a hassle, but I'm carrying all my gear for a juggling show, so I'm not exactly typical. The most important thing about having two cases is to make sure you can move them easily without an airport trolley. You can never rely on finding wheels when you get to wherever you are going!
  • I've always had wheeled luggage. Scott had always given me shit for it.

But, there is a class of people who use wheels that I do take issue with. I see one or two every day when I take the subway.

They have a tiny little purse/briefcase. Seriously tiny. And they're wheeling it behind them, the wheeling mechanism itself dwarfs the bag.

Imagine these, but a little smaller.

They get in the way, and these people invariably stop at the bottom of the stairs blocking traffic to fiddle with the bag enough to carry it up.

• I am shocked that you went the entire episode without mentioning the most important Luggage:
  • Linkigi beat me to it.

I'm not a fan of the hard-shell luggage, the one's I've bought have left me with less volume as Scott said and one of the wheel or handle would get weak.

My family has been flying since my brother was 5 months old and I was 4 years old. My parents forced my brother and I to pack our own luggage in our own medium size bags. Even today I find it hilarious when I see families with huge ass luggage and extra stuff in plastic bags. "What are you carrying in there that you need so bad within 5 or so days?"

I do the backpack/messenger bag + cabin baggage for shorter trips. Moderate and long trips are when I take mid size bag. I forget the brand of my roller cabin baggage but I walked across 1/3 of Singapore with that thing and it still works fine.

My backpack is usually an Oakley or Billabong bag (I've got one which is about 10 years old, but changed so that I could carry a 1 litre water canteen on the outside of the bag).

I've always wondered about a garment bag, usually when I take shirts, suit and /or coat I put them inside a cover bag and fold it at the jacket length so they don't crease. I fold my shirt and iron it at the hotel.
  • edited June 2015
    Rym said:

I've always had wheeled luggage. Scott had always given me shit for it.

But, there is a class of people who use wheels that I do take issue with. I see one or two every day when I take the subway.

They have a tiny little purse/briefcase. Seriously tiny. And they're wheeling it behind them, the wheeling mechanism itself dwarfs the bag.

Imagine these, but a little smaller.

images here

They get in the way, and these people invariably stop at the bottom of the stairs blocking traffic to fiddle with the bag enough to carry it up.

I never understood these people, either. The only thing I can think of is that their backs are so weak, they can't support the weight of the bag. That said, I have an actual, diagnosed medical condition that means that all my core muscles are less supported (and therefore weaker) than they should be, and I've thrown way more than you should into a backpack and never really had THAT much trouble with it.

The only thing that's worse is what every Education major on my campus uses:

I have no idea why it seems like every Education major (and only Education majors) use these things. They're bulky as shit, get in everyone's way, and frankly are kinda silly looking.
    Post edited by Neito on