This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

ConnectiCon 2015

Comments

• Screening schedule is up. Lots of other schedule info is on the web site at this point too, due to program book deadline. I'm doing a few panels: Hell Hell, Evolution of Disney Princesses, and Free Will vs Fate in Anime.

I'm starting to have some interesting conversations with people about how to improve Screenings for 2016. This year I'm just punting, given how late in the game I signed on as Manager. Even this year we've got a couple things on the schedule which I think are unusual for CtCon Screenings, though; I'm particularly happy to have a Q&A session with the cast and crew of one of the videos we're screening. And being Screenings Manager pretty much forced me to finally watch Sita Sings the Blues, which is quite excellent (and basically CC-licensed).
  • Punting this year is the smart thing to do. Our first year running Panels, we didn't fix anything: we just figured out HOW to fix things. Also, there were things I wanted to fix before I joined, but after spending a few years actually doing it, realized were impossible to fix.

It can't go worse than it's ever gone. And next year, with the experience of this year, you can hit it out of the park.

Also, panels schedule is about half done.

http://connecticon.org/events/category/panels-workshops

If any of you submitted anything that you think is rad that I haven't OPENed yet, ping me and remind me the title of the panel. I don't see WHO submitted something until I decide to investigate it or schedule it, and I don't want to miss anything good. ;^)

I also know many of you guys can slip into a suddenly-available slot much more reliably and readily than the average rando. I always need 10 or so backup panels.
  • I was actually kind of regretting not submitting something else, so like, I can be on-station for whatever. I could throw together an hour or so on light/one-page/party RPGs and/or "Beyond the Dungeon Master: Games without GMs" or something stupid like that.
  • This thread reminds me I need to go back and have another think about he email I sent to the panel department heads.
  • Rym said:

Punting this year is the smart thing to do. Our first year running Panels, we didn't fix anything: we just figured out HOW to fix things. Also, there were things I wanted to fix before I joined, but after spending a few years actually doing it, realized were impossible to fix.

It can't go worse than it's ever gone. And next year, with the experience of this year, you can hit it out of the park.

Also, panels schedule is about half done.

If any of you submitted anything that you think is rad that I haven't OPENed yet, ping me and remind me the title of the panel. I don't see WHO submitted something until I decide to investigate it or schedule it, and I don't want to miss anything good. ;^)

I also know many of you guys can slip into a suddenly-available slot much more reliably and readily than the average rando. I always need 10 or so backup panels.

Dunno if you missed my post-AB email or something, but you missed Wrestling for Scrubs.
  • For the record, this is what I'm giving up in favor of coming to CTCon. No regrets.
    Anime Expo 2015 Schedule.
  • As a public service to those writing a zillion panel slides right now, here are Rubin's Rules of Q&A. I don't know if this is exactly how Apreche originally phrased them, but I've used them to great effect several times now. I usually put them on a slide after my final slide, so I only need to bring them out if I actually have time left over for Q&A (which I try to avoid).
    No self-promotion
    Don’t tell a story
    Stay on topic
    Make sure the question applies to everyone
    No talking about properties not addressed in the panel
  • I finished the non bridge portion of my video for the two hour magnum opus. It is currently 1:41, time to start cutting...*cries*
  • The only panel of mine that isn't done yet is the one I'm doing with Viga. Any changes to the others are purely iterative, like fact checking the number of diegetic vs non-digetic songs in MLP.
  • I think the schedule is done.

For anyone we had to reject, take heart in the fact that for every panel I accepted, I literally had to reject at least 3. More submissions than ever, AND more guest panels than ever. Even with dropping the gaps to 20 minutes, I had to reject most of the submissions!
  • I'm kinda glad the audio drama workshop wasn't accepted. I'm still bringing the gear for it with me so I can do Acceptable Vices while at the con if needed, but it's a complicated event to run.
  • I'm kinda glad the audio drama workshop wasn't accepted. I'm still bringing the gear for it with me so I can do Acceptable Vices while at the con if needed, but it's a complicated event to run.

LIVE PODCAST PANEL.
  • edited June 2015
    I'd be down to do it if it got the green light, but you realize that convention internet connections would pretty much make it impossible for you to be in it, right?
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • I'd be down to do it if it got the green light, but you realize that convention internet connections would pretty much make it impossible for you to be in it, right?

Yes. I can't help but think that would make it funnier. Though, there have been occasions where it's been successful - I just don't know how they managed it.

Arrrr?

If I can't get this thing finished in time for the 10th, I'll just cosplay as a missed deadline.
  • So for staff we're thinking of trying something new this year. Instead of trying to break everything into full shift schedules, we might break our staffing needs into 2 hour blocks. Then we let everyone sign up for the blocks they want to work, you need to sign up and appear for 12 shifts minimum if you want a comped room.

Advantages: The more flexible schedule lets staffs enjoy con events more easily and run panels they're hosting.

Disadvantages: The churn of people will be more difficult to manage and if people don't show up for a shift because they forgot it could potentially screw us.

What do people think of this idea?
  • I have the shift plan all set, I just haven't create a document yet because I actually have work to do at work.
  • I have sad news to report from Hartford, Burger Baby is no more. A moment of silence was observed at City Steam.
  • Coldguy said:

I have sad news to report from Hartford, Burger Baby is no more. A moment of silence was observed at City Steam.

Wow, that was fast.

Their burgers were pretty bad, and their beverage selection was mediocre. In retrospect, that place was a pretty terrible place. But they were open when I needed food in that deserted wasteland that is Hartford, so I did end up eating there like four times last year.

• Finding food venues anywhere near the convention center is definitely problematic. Downtown is a bit too far to walk and isn't exactly a sight seeing opportunity. The convention's concession itself is.. well c'mon it's pretty mediocre. I've yet to find a great solution to this.

Is Burger Baby the bar/grill thing in the same building with the two-theater cinema across the street, or was that something else? They were passable, but always crowded.
  • That schedule, by the way, doesn't even show the guest panels yet. There are... several.
  • Rym said:

That schedule, by the way, doesn't even show the guest panels yet. There are... several.

Oh shit....
  • Rym said:

That schedule, by the way, doesn't even show the guest panels yet. There are... several.

Eyup. I started opening some last night, but there are a few contracts still pending AND I still don't have literary guest panel descriptions. Soooo.....
  • edited June 2015
    We have a new system for scheduling panels staff shifts. Everything is explained in a Google Doc. This only applies to the panels department. I posted this to this forum (obviously), our Facebook Group, and also by e-mail. If you know of anyone who did not see it, please help get them in the loop. Thanks.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KaKb8WXaJPJFMSd3r6-A9hEG_6sP7EomAwxCrIPCIoQ/edit?usp=sharing

Also, later this week I will be posting a document for all panels staff that explains how to do your job. It will be essential reading for new recruits and a very helpful refresher for experienced veterans.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Travel and room acquired.
  • awesome! will be cool to see you Victor!
  • Cremlian said:

awesome! will be cool to see you Victor!

Will you be in on Thursday?

We should try to get the backroom reserved at City Steam.
  • Wyatt said:

Cremlian said:

awesome! will be cool to see you Victor!

Will you be in on Thursday?

We should try to get the backroom reserved at City Steam.
    I approve of this idea, also fuck yea goi g to see you in person.
  • I'll be leaving wednesday night and arriving in the wee hours of thursday morning. If I can catch some Z's on the planes (LAX->Newark->Hartford) I'd be down to sample some nightlife provided it's not too expensive. Some invoices haven't cleared yet and clients are dragging their feet so I'm a bit tight.

I'm really fucking excited. Not only do I get to meet a whole mess of you for the first time, but this is the first time I'm going to be on the east coast in nearly 8 years. I also managed to extend my stay by a couple of days so I can shoot up to Boston and visit my grandma!
  • Confirmed that Jackbox is working when an internet connection is acquired.