This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Smart Watches

Comments

• I think GameSpot did a disassembling of one and the screen wasn't too bad to get off, the battery was not too bad to switch. The rest was basically impossible to get to without just making it really difficult to put back together.
  • Eventually any sort of user servicing is going to be impossible without some insanely specialized tools I think. The components of everything are going from "wow that's small" to "you could deliver that on a flea's back."
  • Yeah, for $100 the Apple Watch you be a no-brainer for me. And pretty much everyone. For $400, I'd have to wait to see what apps and uses shake out over the next six months or so. Or wait for a version 2 with more capabilities. If at all. I don't like things on my wrist.
  • Anyone got themselves an Apple Watch yet? Any forum reviews?
  • I only just saved up enough to buy myself a new phone. A smart watch on top of that would be a bit extravagant. Juliane and I want to make a tryout appointment at the Apple store though, just to see what the fuss is about.
  • Coworkers of a friend bought some. Apparently they used them for like a week then just stopped.
  • MATATAT said:

Coworkers of a friend bought some. Apparently they used them for like a week then just stopped.

http://gizmodo.com/apple-watch-users-explain-why-theyre-reselling-on-ebay-1711812551
  • edited June 2015
    I got the "Sport", and my only complaints that I should have gotten the stainless steel/sapphire version and I can't stand the sport band. I wear it daily and have already gotten some tiny scratches in the face, but other than that I'm completely satisfied with it. I no longer have to fish my phone out of my pocket when driving, I can see all the notifications I want without needing to reach for my phone ever, which has the huge added benefit of eliminating phantom vibration notifications that I used to check my phone for all the time.

Everyone who's written reviews about it written reviews to the effect of "just pull your phone out" is dumb, that's exactly the problem I wanted to solve and now that I have the solution, I'm no longer quite as concerned with the iPhone 6 or 6+ being gargantuan devices that I never wanted to have Apple produce. While I would still prefer a smaller(thicker if necessary for battery life) phone, it's no longer a deal breaker.

As for apps, I have no apps that are not stock apps yet, and until I discover needs that the stock apps can't solve, I don't see myself adding extra stuff that I don't already use.
    Post edited by Mycroft000 on
  • The strap on my Samsung Gear 2 Neo has disassembled itself, need to replace it.

I've realised that my Casio doesn't cut it as a replacement anymore.
  • At the exams I sat recently we can't even wear watches to exams now due to potential of using Androidwear and Apple watches. Only one kid I've seen with an Apple watch, trying to flash it like bling in front of girls who laughed their asses off at him, he never wore it for more than that one day.
  • I have one major gripe with all smart watch reviews. They follow the same structure of "I used smart watch product for x amount of time, and then wrote up my thoughts." A great review would be to have somebody use the watch for a significant amount of time, and then stop. It's easy to dismiss so many of the smart watch features as trivial, because they look so damn trivial on paper. Once you are accustomed to the convenience, it is a huge pain in the ass when it's not around.
  • Matt said:

I have one major gripe with all smart watch reviews. They follow the same structure of "I used smart watch product for x amount of time, and then wrote up my thoughts." A great review would be to have somebody use the watch for a significant amount of time, and then stop. It's easy to dismiss so many of the smart watch features as trivial, because they look so damn trivial on paper. Once you are accustomed to the convenience, it is a huge pain in the ass when it's not around.

Pebble Time is same as Pebble, only in color. Avoid taking your phone out of your pocket.
  • Apreche said:

Avoid taking your phone out of your pocket.

Smart watches are precisely for convenience.

If its a burden in any way or becomes unused, this is because of bad design.
  • You know that thing that happens when you forget to wear your watch? Where you look at your wrist every 10 minutes like a jackass, imagine doing that every time your phone buzzes too.
  • Android 5.1.1 on the Moto 360 has improved the experience in a lot of small but nice ways. Interface no longer suffers from any random lag. Performing the most-used actions is now simpler.
  • You know that thing that happens when you forget to wear your watch? Where you look at your wrist every 10 minutes like a jackass, imagine doing that every time your phone buzzes too.

I still tap my glasses to try and see what time it is...

• Bought an apple watch.
  • MATATAT said:

Bought an apple watch.

Yeah but does it play Half Life?
  • sK0pe said:

MATATAT said:

Bought an apple watch.

Yeah but does it play Half Life?
    Not yet.
  • But how many Apples can it watch?
  • So far my favorite feature is tapping other people so I just sit there blasting away at my girlfriend knowing that her watch is just going crazy.
  • MATATAT said:

Bought an apple watch.

Red Delicious or Granny Smith?
  • Daikun said:

MATATAT said:

Bought an apple watch.

Red Delicious or Granny Smith?
    It's a McIntosh.
  • Samsung officially suck ass. So the strap on my Gear 2 neo, broke all on it's own. Literally just fell off my wrist. Was told online to take it to the store, the store that I was told tot go to told me to go to another store, that store passed me along to another store, only to be told that I need to contact Samsung again.

At the point I was told to send it away for an 'engineer' to look at, only to have it sent back unfixed because apparently it's not a European model.

The fuck!?
  • My girlfriend and I bought an Apple Watch to share for a while, with the idea that at least one of us will like it enough to keep using it and it be worth the cost. It's a small black one. It looks really good, I think, a nice mix of smart and sporty.

Juliane used it for three days at home and work, and had a lot of fun.

I've only tried it one evening and one morning so far, but will use it for my entire work trip. So far so good. I'm having to get used to having something on my wrist. But I guess it is fading into the background, or that I'm forgetful, as I just went through airport security with it on my wrist. Normally I breeze through without setting off any alarms.
  • For $400, I'd have to wait to see what apps and uses shake out over the next six months or so. Or wait for a version 2 with more capabilities. If at all. I don't like things on my wrist.

My girlfriend and I bought an Apple Watch

What's it like to wear fake jewellery that can't tell you the time without waving your hand around?
  • sKope, you are soooooooo boring. Seriously. Get a life. Your constant bashing of anyone who buys or uses anything made by Apple has never been not tedious, and it is continuously unfunny and unclever.
  • I wasn't paying attention to the Apple event too much but apparently they did say that Watch OS 2 will come out next week. Should make the watch even better. I've been enjoying it so far and kinda got used to having it now so it's weird when I don't have it. I usually don't have my phone on me when I'm at home so it's nice to get notifications that way. Also works well as a fitbit style thing which has options for all workout types. I'm interested to see what types of native apps come out for it.
  • True story: was window shopping one time in Munich. Saw a watch that had a price tag of 200,000+ euros. It didn't tell time.