This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Tuesday - The Jackbox Party Pack

The Jackbox Party Pack is what impressed us enough to talk about it tonight on GeekNights. It fulfills the promise that Nintendo has so long ignored, and works surprisingly well using smartphones as 8-player game controllers. Shenmue III is actually happening thanks to a 6MM Kickstarter, and we expect to to be just like I and II. (It was a different time in those Dreamcast days). Professional Counter-Strike players flat-out admit to using performance enhancing drugs, and equipment failure issues at the EVO 2015 Street Fighter IV championship show the slow but steady progress of professional esport evolution.

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• Working Dreamcasts are worth the money, especially with a working VMU
  • I was wondering if you guys would do a show on this game.
  • The cup you should emulate is the Americas Cup. The sailing team that wins it hosts the next race, and also develops the rules for the race and the restrictions on boats design.

If an esport person wins your cup, they should pick two distinct games they can be challenged in. They then, on a schedule, take on challengers, switching between the two games. If a challenger beats them, they get the cup, and then have to nominate their second game. Challengers could be selected from the winners of regional tournaments.

The reason for picking a second game is to stop the cup always staying within the same game, because if a player is the best at one, only players of that same game would have a realistic chance to challenge. It would encourage depth in play, at least a bit. It would be incredible if someone could win as an FPS player, but then defend against the best Mario speed runners.
  • I have a family friend who is an Olympian, and can confirm - Olympic village is basically a 24/7 orgy. Everybody's fuckin' everybody else.
  • Dazzle369 said:

Working Dreamcasts are worth the money, especially with a working VMU

I have two Dreamcasts (only one works, though. Classic plastic lense issue) and several working VMUs. I SOOO wanna hook it up right now and replay Shenmue. Gotta find me a copy of Shenmue 2, though.
  • Haven't listened to this episode, but I'd not heard of Jackbox Party Pack before, and I'm very interested now. We burn through this type of game at my house. During the 360 years, we got a ton of mileage out of the Scene-It trivia remote buzzers.

These things worked so well.

We had both versions of that game, as well as the very good You Don't Know Jack game that also made use of them. Lately, we'd been playing Chromecast games using the phones as controllers, but haven't gone back to it once the novelty wore off. Very happy to hear that Jack is back.
  • I'll hand off a Dreamcast and a copy of Shenmue this weekend if you aren't just shit-talking. ;]
  • pence said:

I'll hand off a Dreamcast and a copy of Shenmue this weekend if you aren't just shit-talking. ;]

Hmmm...

That thing's got what, RCA outputs? It's not worth it unless I stream the game.
  • I have a Dreamcast at my house but no Shenmue
  • I think I have a Dreamcast VGA adapter lying around
  • Yes, it's composite - looks like you can get S-Video cables on Amazon, but no component/VGA/etc.
  • pence said:

Yes, it's composite - looks like you can get S-Video cables on Amazon, but no component/VGA/etc.

All of those can stream into the elgato.
  • Christ! It's like you're not even trying. "Ka-Boom 2: Electric Boomaloo". You're welcome.
  • Are we talking Shenmue or Shenmue 2? Because the original Shenmue is absolute garbage nowadays. And Shenmue 2, while I remember really enjoying it, didn't hold up super well when I decided to buy the Xbox version a couple years ago.
  • How about a game of lucky hit? Need to spend you winnings in YDKJ on something outside the Arcade.
  • Also this game does a crazy job masking its own answers sometimes. On a Giant Bomb stream the answer was clearly Rocky or something. The actual answer was "Rocky4", just as it's spelled there.
  • Dazzle369 said:

I have two Dreamcasts (only one works, though. Classic plastic lense issue) and several working VMUs. I SOOO wanna hook it up right now and replay Shenmue. Gotta find me a copy of Shenmue 2, though.
    Just download a pirate copy of Shenmue. I can't remember if they come on multiple disks. Legitimate copies are rare and expensive. People who have them tend not to want to sell.

I remember my friend really selling the idea of the game to me, I tried it out briefly and couldn't get into it. Would really like to give it a proper chance this time, but my Dreamcast is flakey. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. I vacuumed the inside once which improved it's reliability for a while.

However the only games I really love playing are Powerstone 2 and Chu Chu Rocket with friends. I still have spare batteries for my VMU for the day I need to power it up and defeat my friends with my secret items on Powerstone.
  • Power Stooooone
  • edited July 2015
    Dazzle369 said:

Dazzle369 said:

Just download a pirate copy of Shenmue. I can't remember if they come on multiple disks. Legitimate copies are rare and expensive. People who have them tend not to want to sell.
    Not Shenmue, Shenmue 2. I'm gonna try to find it for Xbox if at all possible.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Apreche said:

Power Stooooone

Oh shit son that game...

• Rym said:

Apreche said:

Power Stooooone

Oh shit son that game...

I attempted one point in history to emulate it on my PC and get network play to work. I got the game to work but no such luck with the networking. Probably a port/ router thing.

Maybe you nerd experts (nerdsperts?) will have better luck figuring out a way to get it to work. Then we can have a real online tournament.
  • Dazzle369 said:

Rym said:

Apreche said:

Power Stooooone

Oh shit son that game...

I attempted one point in history to emulate it on my PC and get network play to work. I got the game to work but no such luck with the networking. Probably a port/ router thing.

Maybe you nerd experts (nerdsperts?) will have better luck figuring out a way to get it to work. Then we can have a real online tournament.
    Play in person. Problem solved.
  • Dazzle369 said:

Rym said:

Apreche said:

Power Stooooone

Oh shit son that game...

What you are describing is what I did on the GameCube with Warp Pipe to play MK:DD online.
  • Dazzle369 said:

Dazzle369 said:

Not Shenmue, Shenmue 2. I'm gonna try to find it for Xbox if at all possible.
    It shouldn't be too difficult. I just went to a random used game store (not GameStop obviously) and they had a decent copy for I think $20. When I went it was a while ago though so it might be harder with the new surge of Shenmue. Shenmue 2 for Dreamcast is hard to find because it never came out in the US. So it's pretty expensive. If you were to do Dreamcast definitely just pirate it.

I think the Xbox version is slightly up-rezzed and has English VO. If you weren't aware, the English VO is AWFUL. But so was the original Shenmue. And honestly it's kinda funny.
  • I'm pretty sure there is functional Dreamcast emulator, it uses ISO files to read from. I used it to play Marvel vs Capcom and Street Fighter 3rd Strike on my PC many years ago.
  • While way cheaper than gold, silver isn't that cheap. It would still take more than $8200 worth of silver to make a Stanley Cup sized trophy, plus the actual cost to pay someone to make it.
  • While way cheaper than gold, silver isn't that cheap. It would still take more than $8200 worth of silver to make a Stanley Cup sized trophy, plus the actual cost to pay someone to make it.

I'm talking about the original Stanley Cup. We don't need all those rings to start with.
  • Drone guy is the same guy who had a woman attack him earlier in the year. He just got arrested on unrelated charges in his home town.

TL:DR is that he was at a local library after hours using the wifi (from the parking lot) The library had recently been broken into. Cops stopped hi,, he drove off, stopped him again, got into a confrontation, let him go and put out an arrest warrant instead. He agreed to come in to meet with them, they tired to arrest him, he fought, got arrested.

courant.com/breaking-news/hc-clinton-drone-teen-arrest-0724-20150723-story.html#page=1

The professor who supposedly helped him with the idea has stated that he didn't help him and thought it was a terrible idea.
  • Scott, you want them to invent a legal performance enhancer with no deleterious side effects? Done.
  • edited July 2015
    Starfox said:

Scott, you want them to invent a legal performance enhancer with no deleterious side effects? Done.

I don't believe it has no deleterious side effects.

Post edited by Apreche on