This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Today I realized

Donald Trump is literally Biff Tannen.

Comments

• Are you going to tweet that? I feel like I need to tweet that. But if you tweet it, I'll retweet it.
  • Yeah, I just thought the same thing. I'm @sajattack.
  • I've seen some lists of quotes where you're supposed to guess if its Donald Trump or Frank Reynolds/Mr. Burns.

But as far as looks he does have a resemblance to Biff Tannen.
  • The abortion issue is a means to gain political capital with the electorate without addressing an issue that would have significant impact.

Let's break down the numbers here: The federal budget is 3.8 trillion dollars. Planned Parenthood reports 560 million dollars in governmental subsidy. I don't know how much of that is Federal, as the Planned Parenthood website does not distinguish the different governments. However, if we assume that all 560 million are from the Feds (a number greater than the likely actual number), that makes up roughly 0.01% of the budget. Then consider that only 3% of Planned Parenthood activities (which we're going to translate to budget for simplicity's sake) are abortion, so that makes a resounding 0.0003% of the Federal budget. All of this is ignoring that law prohibits use of Federal funds for abortions.

But then there's the question of how many people receive abortions. Is this insignificant part of the budget responsible for a significant number of instances? In a word, no. In many words, we have to start by getting an accurate landscape of who is eligible for services. Only 1.7% of women 15-44 years old receive abortions yearly. After crunching some numbers from the census, I found that roughly 0.001% of the US population receives an abortion.

So, this issue effects a minuscule portion of people with a marginal amount of money. Why is this one of the most prominent issues in American politics? Because it's a way to pander and gain political support for a candidate without doing anything significant.
  • Pegu said:

Donald Trump is literally Biff Tannen.

I watched Back to the Future 2 last week and had a similar thought.
  • Greg said:

The abortion issue is a means to gain political capital with the electorate without addressing an issue that would have significant impact.

Have you only started paying attention to politics recently? Because that use of abbortion has been around for a while.

• I usually avoid that issue like the plague. People feel too strongly about it, so I can neither hold a conversation nor make a joke. I started paying attention to it only because it was all over @GenAndyJackson's twitter feed.
  • I just saw this on BoingBoing: