This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

First Person Drone Racing!

I'm not sure if I should have posted this in Technology, in the Occulus thread, or someplace else, but has anyone else heard about first person drone racing? I heard about this on a podcast recently and watched a couple Youtube videos and this looks AMAZING! Basically, you put a GoPro, or some other type of small videocamera on the front of a drone and stream the video to a pair of VR goggles. Apparently, in Australia, they're already setting up racing leagues for this.

Check out this video and tell me this doesn't look super cool!

Comments

• Wasn't a video of this a TotD awhile ago?
  • Apreche said:

Wasn't a video of this a TotD awhile ago?

It could have been, but I didn't see it when I checked and I wasn't willing to comb through the thread. Besides, this is cool enough to deserve its own thread.

I've already seen kits starting to pop-up for people to buy and build their own FPV drone and they don't seem that expensive, between $400-$500.

Has anyone seriously looked into this? I'm considering getting a kit and trying it out.
  • I've thought about it. Then I got stuck thinking about how to make them go even faster. I'll probably end up making one, just to have a testbed for my stupid ideas at the very least. There's a dude down in Tasmania who builds 150 km/h quads, might see if I can get a hold of that fella for advice.
  • Another video of a race in Germany:

Enjoy!
  • When I visited Timo last month I played with his first person video drone. I felt sick almost immediately! I also crashed his drone and we had to replace the rotors and stuff.
  • Most Humans' reflexes are too slow for povracing
  • SWATrous said:

Most Humans' reflexes are too slow for povracing

Most humans reflexes are too slow for F1 racing also. Let's find out who the pros are!
  • Can we mount guns and weapons on them and make it flying battlebots?
  • Can we mount guns and weapons on them and make it flying battlebots?

I would not only watch such a sport, but I would actively try to participate.
  • As much as I love robots, and weapons, and carnage spectacle, I am also for artificially pushing back the day where those fucking Manhacks from Half Life 2 are patrolling the streets.
  • Apreche said:

SWATrous said:

Most humans reflexes are too slow for F1 racing also. Let's find out who the pros are!
    Racing is balls hard, but it's one of my favorite sports because it favors mental skills over physical ability.
  • Apreche said:

SWATrous said:

Racing is balls hard, but it's one of my favorite sports because it favors mental skills over physical ability.
    It has a ton of physical ability, F1 drivers are physically and mentally at the peak of their game to be able to do what they do. Well except Kobayashi, that dude was just dire.
  • I like Air Racing. It is like 2d auto racing but you get a whole 'nother D.

We need to make dogfighting a sport though. Drones, or whatever.
  • I like Air Racing. It is like 2d auto racing but you get a whole 'nother D.

We need to make dogfighting a sport though. Drones, or whatever.
  • Amp said:

Apreche said:

SWATrous said:

It has a ton of physical ability, F1 drivers are physically and mentally at the peak of their game to be able to do what they do. Well except Kobayashi, that dude was just dire.
    Yeah from what I know F1 cars require quite a bit of physical fitness.
  • (Drone) MechWarrior IRL. Best sport ever.
    I KNOW it's Battletech. Geez.
  • Amp said:

Yep. I don't doubt there's a bunch of people here with reflexes good enough for at least Formula Ford - Particularly Scott. But, most of them - including myself, these days - would probably end up filling their helmet with breakfast after the first handful of laps. Racing is more of a mental exercise than a physical one, but it's still pretty hard on the body.

• Yep, even a long go-kart race can make you get a bit wibbly if you're not used to it.
  • Getting the human out of the loop seems like it would be key, both for drone and F1 racing.
  • But the human squishy meatbag factor is a great constraint that makes things interesring: drones can pull hi-g turns no pilot could, but what's it matter? A pilot pulling a 10 g turn to win despite great challenge to do so is epic.
  • So we just need actual Gundams then.
  • On Juliane's birthday we paid for 35 minutes of karting but I vomited after only 15. Real racing is so hard physically that many F1 fans complained that it shouldn't be possible for a 17 year old to drive the current cars. They want the cars to be more physically difficult and hard on the body.
  • Churba said:

Amp said:

Yep. I don't doubt there's a bunch of people here with reflexes good enough for at least Formula Ford - Particularly Scott. But, most of them - including myself, these days - would probably end up filling their helmet with breakfast after the first handful of laps. Racing is more of a mental exercise than a physical one, but it's still pretty hard on the body.
    I meant the amateur level is a mental game, like autocross or even as high as rented go karts. I mean yes, F1 is physically demanding as it is literally the limit of current technology to create lateral grip.
  • We need to create to scale models of tracks from Diddy Kong Racing to have the drones fly around in.