This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Monday - When Services Die

When services disappear, they often disrupt. Tonight on GeekNights, we consider dead, dying, end-of-life, deprecated, and dilapidated services in light of Google blocking access to their unsupported auto-complete API and Nintendo dropping their Nintendo TVii service (if anyone even knew it existed). Windows 10 day is tomorrow (we're upgrading all of our devices). You should buy an SSD if you don't already run the OS on one, upgrade, then use the new install media to re-install on the SSD. Trust us. Windows 10 Home will force Windows Updates. This is a good thing. Oleogustus joins sweet, savory, sour, bitter, and umami as a fundamental tongue taste. Pentaquarks were observed in LHC experiments. Some people are failure canaries.

Come see us live at PAX Prime 2015! We'll be there in style!

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• edited July 2015
    Post edited by Daikun on
  • I watched the real time apps video last week when Scott posted it on Twitter. It's pretty cool. However, I found it a but disingenuous about the "just Python and Postgress" title. It's actually "just Python and Postgress.... also all these packages... and one of these four websockets..... and an entire JavaScript framework... and all of this other stuff...."
  • Daikun said:
    I guess the other five times people predicted that the sky was falling on G+ didn't take, then.
  • MrPeriod said:
    Postgres! So now it does relational, nosql, geospatial, and real-time? Goodbye every other database. Sweet demo too, but mixing your application logic and database layer like that is a little code smelly, no?

Rym, anti-particlenames are a specific thing, and it's not the thing you said.
  • Starfox said:

MrPeriod said:
    Postgres! So now it does relational, nosql, geospatial, and real-time? Goodbye every other database. Sweet demo too, but mixing your application logic and database layer like that is a little code smelly, no?

Rym, anti-particlenames are a specific thing, and it's not the thing you said.
    Yeah, the putting of application logic in the DB is a bit smelly, which is why I usually avoid triggers and such. However, the only thing he's adding is the notifications, which I think is ok. Just include the SQL for that in a file in the repository.
  • Churba said:

Daikun said:
    I guess the other five times people predicted that the sky was falling on G+ didn't take, then.
    It's technically not dead yet - the stream and collections features still exist.
  • Rym, between Orkut, Glass, and whatever the phone was, I think you're a canary. Let me find that What Phone Should Rym Buy thread and start short selling.
  • Ikatono said:

Rym, between Orkut, Glass, and whatever the phone was, I think you're a canary. Let me find that What Phone Should Rym Buy thread and start short selling.

Well...

When Orkut came out, it's not like there were other social networks. It was literally the first one. There was nothing else like it. The canaries would be the people who preferred it and kept using it once there was competition.

Google Glass? Again, there was no competitor, and there still isn't. It was the only thing in the world like it. So it's the early adopter problem again there, not the canary problem.

The Palm Pre was the thing I was wrong about. In terms of tech, I can't think of many other ships that sailed and sunk with me on them.
  • Didn't you also use G+?
  • Andrew said:

Didn't you also use G+?

But I didn't stop using twitter to use it.

Twitter has been my primary social network since... well... a long time I think.

• The perfect platform for saying anything that possibly comes to mind.
  • I had a zune, and I still use a Palm Pixi although I use a cheap android phone just on wifi. I had an Orkut but only because I had one friend from Brazil. Am I a canary?
  • You're the canary that has a natural mutation of being able to process carbon monoxide.
  • MATATAT said:

The perfect platform for saying anything that possibly comes to mind.

you mean anything under a certain character length :-p
  • edited July 2015
    "Umami" is also used by the head chef and owner of the 3rd best restaurant in the world. He used it to describe the taste of a parmigiano cheese.
    Churba said:

Daikun said:
    Having a framework for all their services is still available, incredibly useful and still in use. Microsoft is finally catching up on this with the Live account. Even more useful if you use Android.
    Banta said:
    That's only for hardware drivers which your video card etc. stuff will automatically keep updated if you allow it.
    Post edited by sK0pe on
  • Does Scott have a link for the docker video he mentioned in this episode?
  • malzraa said:

Does Scott have a link for the docker video he mentioned in this episode?

TotD link is right there.
  • You're the canary that has a natural mutation of being able to process carbon monoxide.

Well, I haven't died of carbon monoxide yet.

• I meant the video where the docker person mentioned how it was not production ready, and then showed all the big companies using it in production. TotD video was awesome though.
    Apreche said:

malzraa said:

• malzraa said:

I meant the video where the docker person mentioned how it was not production ready, and then showed all the big companies using it in production. TotD video was awesome though.

Apreche said:

malzraa said:

Oh, here it is.

The part mentioning it's not production ready is very brief.
  • I was more looking for it because you said it was an intro video, and I think docker might be the solution to a problem I have been having at work.
  • From what I understand about Docker, it seems like security is going to be a nightmare. Maybe I'm wrong.
  • Security is a concern because Docker uses kernel features and abstraction layers that are new and not particularly well tested. Security, of course, also depends on your security model. Compare developers who own the hardware versus those who rent shared hardware. Processes running in containers (assuming Docker security isn't entirely broken) have a lot less exposed surface area (ports, filesystems).

In hours, I was able to successfully complete a build in an previously untested linux distribution. Docker is going to change how I work.
  • I'm not super worried about security, I'm not going to have docker running on any publicly-visible machines or host any public services within a docker instance.
  • I still have no idea how anyone used an iPod as their daily mp3 player, or anything that uses iTunes. The Zune player and software were so far superior, it only lost because of marketing.
  • I still have no idea how anyone used an iPod as their daily mp3 player, or anything that uses iTunes. The Zune player and software were so far superior, it only lost because of marketing.

In what way? At the time I used an iPod nano. A zune is enormous by comparison. People may not like iTunes, but I never had a problem with it. It is highly advanced in ways that people don't even realize. I could download a podcast in iTunes, start listening. Then sync to iPod and it would continue listening from where I left off on the desktop. This also worked in reverse.
  • Yeah my iPod nano was tiny and amazing. My iPod Touch started giving me a lot of trouble but half of that was due to a botched screen replacement.
  • While the newer ones look nice, I'm still disappointed that they stopped making the nanos without buttons. I like having the ability of using it without having to look at it.