This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Tuesday - The Jackbox Party Pack

2»

Comments

• Everyone needs their morning jolt.
  • edited July 2015

Everyone needs their morning jolt.

Post edited by Apreche on
  • Everyone needs their morning Jolt™.

I'm on to you, marketing shill.

• So we were independently introduced to the party pack via one of our eclipse buddies. We generally don't care for party games.

For example, CAH is very limiting in its humor permutations, and is less enjoyable if your humor is not compatible with the group. If, as the judge, you choose a card which did not receive the most laughter, your decision can be met with unpleasant reactions. If you are rarely chosen, not only is the game unwinnable, but your sense of humor is evidently unshared. Additionally, there is obviously minimal creative space when certain cards involving helen keller or midgets are chosen more frequently.

Another example we were introduced to this Connecticon was clearly dependant on the players involved and their relative charisma levels. Those with a better sales pitch held a blatant advantage, unlike games like Mafia where those skills are somewhat balanced by other factors.

However, we enjoyed fibbage and drawful to the extent that we purchased it ourselves. It was, as you mentioned, enjoyable in the execution of the interface as well as the design of the games. The inclusion of the narrator helps pace the game and relieve potential interpersonal tension. The use of timers, semi-simultaneous play, and minimal dead-time prevent the slow-down you find in games like Dixit. Combined with the use of phones/devices, this maintains levels of engagement. The bonus points and the oddball prompts reward those who are funny, balancing the rewards to those who are correct or believable. The scaling points allow for dramatic comebacks, making the initial rounds essentially a warmup. Even winning is fairly meaningless, since the game is comprised of very few turns and minor time investment. The trivia in fibbage is obscure/bizarre, and the drawing interface in drawful is rudimentary -- both serve to balance out player skill level and reduce superiority/inferiority judgment for the group and the self. Overall, the games overcome the balance and design flaws that plague most party games, making it a good choice when appealing to a wider range of gaming preferences.

On fibbage: there are, in fact, intentional misspellings in some of the correct answers, although not enough to throw away spelling as a general diagnostic.
  • My group of friends has a married couple that do not enjoy CAH and that is the mainstay of our party games. Now I've been expanding my board game library to alleviate that, but I might need to check out the Jackbox games. Watching the Achievement Hunters play Fibbage has been hilarious.
  • My group of friends has a married couple that do not enjoy CAH and that is the mainstay of our party games. Now I've been expanding my board game library to alleviate that, but I might need to check out the Jackbox games. Watching the Achievement Hunters play Fibbage has been hilarious.

In all seriousness, check out Party Gamecast, they have been my go to resource in party games (and lighter board games) to include in my collection. If you want alternate games Say Anything would fit your needs perfectly.

Also Telestrations if you like to play telephone, and Lang-Guini in which I have been trying to get them to release to you all...
  • Hanabi is probably the most engaging party game I've played with people. A lot of people like it and are genuinely engaged. The problem with party games is people sort of check in/check out and aren't usually invested. My girlfriend bought me Funemployed and a couple other games for my birthday so I'm excited to try that out.
  • I too enjoy Hanabi, but some people do not because it ignites their inferiority complexes, so it isn't always an option.
  • I too enjoy Hanabi, but some people do not because it ignites their inferiority complexes, so it isn't always an option.

If you have an inferiority complex, you should level up your game and become ferior.
  • Apreche said:

I too enjoy Hanabi, but some people do not because it ignites their inferiority complexes, so it isn't always an option.

If you have an inferiority complex, you should level up your game and become ferior.
    This is an opinion I share, but there are others who don't & pressing the issue makes it worse.
  • Apreche said:

I too enjoy Hanabi, but some people do not because it ignites their inferiority complexes, so it isn't always an option.

This is an opinion I share, but there are others who don't & pressing the issue makes it worse.
    Clearly they suck in more ways than one.
  • Apreche said:

Apreche said:

Not everyone can be you (;
  • Apreche said:

Apreche said:

Not everyone can be you (;
    Yeah, I'm pretty great, but it's not like I'm unattainably great like Michael Jordan or something.
  • I was thinking about getting it to play with co-workers over the next few work days where we won't be doing as much work. Then I realized it was $25, HOLY CRAP that's expensive. I also noticed there was JackBox 2, which has Fibbage 2 and also another game called Earwax. Has anyone played JackBox 2? Is it worth it? Is either one even worth $25? Hope they're in the Steam sale.
  • I have Jackbox 2, and unless you have Keep Talking and nothing explodes you can wait until a sale comes around.

Bidiots is Drawful as an auction game and is right up your ally, earwax is a good concept that failed in execution, Bomb squad is good, but the formal title does it better. Quiplash and Fibbage are more of the same as well.
  • edited December 2015
    No, neither one is worth $25. When I played Jackbox 2 with friends, we really liked Quiplash and Earwax (Fibbage is just as good as before). Bidiots is a little better than Drawful but suffers from the same problems. Bomb Squad I did not play, but the same friends group later said it was lame.

I'd maybe pay $15, but only if I actually had people come over to hang out, which they don't.
    Post edited by theknoxinator on
  • You can get it on sale now & then. But yeah, the default price definitely gave me sticker shock.
  • The kinda bummer about those games is that 2-3 out of the 5 games are interesting. The others are just straight garbage. Seems like in Jackbox 2 that is even less the case.