This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 2015-08-10 : HTTP Proxies

RymRym
edited August 2015 in GeekNights
Since the forum post never went out:

HTTP Proxies can be used for good or evil, and are generally a good thing to know about. Tonight on GeekNights, we consider the high level of what they are, where they're used, and how you can mess with your friends with them. Google has restructured under Alphabet, likely as a giant middle finger to ridiculous European regulation. The rapid rise of cord cutting and ad blocking accelerates with possible devastating (and deserved) consequences. Scotland hilariously bans "genetically modified crops." Linux servers make too little entropy, which itself is ever more crucial to secure operations. North Korea targets Rym with its new time zone. We've also upgraded the GeekNights production systems to Windows 10 with basically no problems.

Don't forget to come see us at PAX Prime and CHIFOO!

http://frontrowcrew.com/geeknights/20150810/http-proxies/

Post edited by Rym on

Comments

• I used to be in Belegarth which people can do that sort of archery. In that one though you can hit people in the face whereas Belegarth you try not to but if you hit someone in the head accidentally it doesn't count for anything.
  • The archery game looks like really good fun.
  • No arm guards? I'd fuck myself up in an instant.
  • Just a thought about the cord cutting topic: I work in a college IT department that is deploying about 5 new dorms this semester (on Sunday). When analyzing the costs going into the building, my department decided that, starting with these buildings, they will discontinue all the coax/basic cable services that are offered to students as part of student housing. They have tapped Philo to provide these same services as an exclusively IPTV service. While it is unclear what student response is going to be to this, I could see a near future where all students (students in old dorms still will have coax) use this service exclusively.
  • There was a mention of Pay Per View being dead in this episode. I have a lot of thoughts on this topic, especially as a wrestling fan, but I will mention that the Mayweather/Pacquiao fight, which everyone knew was Mayweather was going to win, had over 4 million buys and shattered the previous record by a lot. I don't think TV is dying quite as fast as you perceive it to be.
  • One of those articles is specifically how pay per view is losing money and viewers faster than any other medium on Earth.
  • edited August 2015
    Rym said:

One of those articles is specifically how pay per view is losing money and viewers faster than any other medium on Earth.

But it still works for events that are big to the public, like Mayweather fights or Rhonda Rousey fights. PPV is dead if you don't have a big attraction, this is true, but I think even when cable is all but dead they will switch to internet PPVs like small non WWE groups largely have. WWE is taking a bath on their Network, they're only profitable through major cost cutting.
    Post edited by Hitman Hart on
  • The people paying for that PPV are bars, restaurants, clubs, rich people, and people who are restreaming it.
  • Apreche said:

The people paying for that PPV are bars, restaurants, clubs, rich people, and people who are restreaming it.

Actually bars and all that don't count toward PPV buy numbers