This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Pokemon Go!

edited September 2015 in Video Games

It's real. The Ingress company is making Pokemon.

Not quite the Pokemon MMORPG, but this game will dominate. Fuck ya 3DS StreetPass. Fuck all the other CandyBoxes. Screw ya CrossyRoads and Angry Birds. Just delete the entire game folder on your phone and replace it with the Pokemon Go! app. I'm callin' it.
Post edited by Apreche on

Comments

• Way back when Nintendo let Google put Pokemon in Google Maps, I thought this was what they were doing. But then they didn't.

And now they did.

And soon/now, Niantic is its own company.
  • Fuck this might be a go all in on day one situation
  • While this is going to probably be huge, do you think a lot of the people who play the Farmville/Candy Crush type games will play this? I think it's definitely for people who have played the Pokemon series and for those who like the Ingress sort of stuff, but I don't see my mom playing this at all.
  • Niantic are going to make a bucket load for a simultaneous release. They learned from Google to make apps for both platforms.
    Rochelle said:

While this is going to probably be huge, do you think a lot of the people who play the Farmville/Candy Crush type games will play this? I think it's definitely for people who have played the Pokemon series and for those who like the Ingress sort of stuff, but I don't see my mom playing this at all.

I totally see my Mum playing this if she sees my brother or I playing it.

So many people played Ingress even in Perth (most isolated capital in the world).
    There was even Google Plus hangouts for each side and to organise get togethers. I didn't get too invested, just made sure I'd grab my train station but it also took up huge amounts of time at University, grabbing lecture theatres and what not.

If Pokemon are distributed the same way it's going to be crazy.
  • Rochelle said:

While this is going to probably be huge, do you think a lot of the people who play the Farmville/Candy Crush type games will play this? I think it's definitely for people who have played the Pokemon series and for those who like the Ingress sort of stuff, but I don't see my mom playing this at all.

Ingress is already played by all types, but is limited only to people that move around a lot. Now you'll have people that move around a lot PLUS Pokemon people.

• I'm confused. I threw money at my screen and it didn't give it to me.
  • I'm confused. I threw money at my screen and it didn't give it to me.

Because it's free.

Even if it isn't, I'll pay.
  • Apreche said:

I'm confused. I threw money at my screen and it didn't give it to me.

Because it's free.

I've already decided I'm buying the bluetooth thing.
  • Apreche said:

I'm confused. I threw money at my screen and it didn't give it to me.

Because it's free.

I've already decided I'm buying the bluetooth thing.
    Yes.
  • Apreche said:

Rochelle said:

Ingress is already played by all types, but is limited only to people that move around a lot. Now you'll have people that move around a lot PLUS Pokemon people.
    Yeah, just that demographic mainly. However, I still don't see people who play Farmville or Candy Crush to play this game. Especially people who tend to not be as mobile or move a lot.

The collecting feature is definitely a draw in, but I still don't see people like my mom wanting to collect weird monsters she has no idea about.

This game is going to be big, but nothing like Candy Crush or Angry Birds gig where almost EVERYONE and their mom played it.
  • Rochelle said:

Apreche said:

Rochelle said:

Yeah, just that demographic mainly. However, I still don't see people who play Farmville or Candy Crush to play this game. Especially people who tend to not be as mobile or move a lot.

The collecting feature is definitely a draw in, but I still don't see people like my mom wanting to collect weird monsters she has no idea about.

This game is going to be big, but nothing like Candy Crush or Angry Birds gig where almost EVERYONE and their mom played it.
    You may not realize just how big Ingress is, and this is definitely going to be bigger.
  • edited September 2015
    But does everyone and their mom play it? I played it for a bit, but it drained my battery and got bored with it. We'll see when the numbers come out.

From some internet searching: http://bgr.com/2015/01/30/most-popular-mobile-games-ios-android/

But the main part you want to see is the report: App Annie Index 2014 Report. Pages 14 and on break down the top 10 apps by major countries by downloads and revenue. It separates mobile games and mobile apps.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • The hype is real.
  • Was that a raid IRL? My god...
  • The catching sequence reminds me a bit of Geocaching. This is good.
  • The only real problem is this requires me to move beyond the reaches of my house, work, and campus. Might encourage me to run outside more, rather than in the gym though.

Also, I'm wondering how the battle is going to work, or are we going to have something similar to this situation: http://0.media.dorkly.cvcdn.com/70/93/273429267560021e37831129ff3a405e-the-problem-with-a-pokemon-mmo.jpg
  • I've already decided I'm buying the bluetooth thing.

ditto
    Rochelle said:

But the main part you want to see is the report: App Annie Index 2014 Report. Pages 14 and on break down the top 10 apps by major countries by downloads and revenue. It separates mobile games and mobile apps.

I don't know why we have to dismiss the game because your Mother is a hater.

The group of apps and games that are cross-platform (especially if coming from iOS first release to Android) are incredibly bad. The great cross platform apps / software written so far have been done by major software developers such as Microsoft and Google. Twitter has also caught up and there are many smaller developers who have great cross platform apps.

There are no good cross platform games which have had simultaneous releases period.
    The only game that is fun enough for a few minutes has been Space Team

This release, if it gains enough hype and enough people such as the genius pokeball pin is going to create huge amounts of hype.
    Rochelle said:

I played it for a bit, but it drained my battery and got bored with it.

Ingress arrived on iOS when the majority of people were over it on Android.
  • edited September 2015
    I understand that this game like Ingress is going to be good in regards to cross platform play and how they are doing well at that. I know how popular Pokemon is. I like Pokemon and have played several versions. Even with this game, it doesn't really draw me in because I won't be traveling a lot to different areas, especially when I will be working from home.

I'm addressing the fact that people are being hyperbolic that this game is going to be played by a lot of people over the known popular mobile games. I also provided some statistics.

I used my mom as an example of demographic of a mobile gamer that wouldn't have interest in this game as an example, which I believe is a large demographic that plays those top 10 games on the list I provided. Don't be stupid.

I feel that conversing with you is pointless. Most of your posts either deal with poo-pooing about how either Apple is or how crazy America is.

It's cool that people are excited like most people are here, I just don't think it's the majority.
  • Ro, don't argue with Scott over how the real world works. It is never a productive venture. You're correct in your assessment, but he gives zero fucks about the casual mobile gamers.
  • Nuri said:

Ro, don't argue with Scott over how the real world works. It is never a productive venture. You're correct in your assessment, but he gives zero fucks about the casual mobile gamers.

I honestly believe they are going to play Pokemon. You people don't live in NYC and see the types of people playing Ingress. It's a huge community of all kinds.
  • Apreche said:

Nuri said:

Ro, don't argue with Scott over how the real world works. It is never a productive venture. You're correct in your assessment, but he gives zero fucks about the casual mobile gamers.

I honestly believe they are going to play Pokemon. You people don't live in NYC and see the types of people playing Ingress. It's a huge community of all kinds.
    So it's time for Scott argument number 27 "People outside of NYC are not real and don't exist."
  • Apsup said:

Apreche said:

Nuri said:

So it's time for Scott argument number 27 "People outside of NYC are not real and don't exist."
    Somebody should compile a master list of Scott arguments.
  • New York just concentrates it. Playing Ingress here was a completely different experience from playing it almost anywhere else, due to the sheer number of players, sheer density of portals, and easy bike/run/walk/subway access to them.

Huge gatherings and events sprung up naturally on a weekly basis for months in a row. I'd see obviously-Ingressing people in city hall park every single day.

I don't think any "moms" who don't have kids who are currently playing pokemon, or who aren't already themselves playing pokemon will play this new pokemon though.
  • edited September 2015
    Nuri said:

Nuri. <3 I've missed your posts of awesome.

But, yeah, in concentrated areas and gatherings such as conventions, this game is going to be quite the experience, which would be fun to see.

Re: Somebody should compile a master list of Scott arguments.
    I want to say someone did this already and there is a thread.
  • RymRym
    edited September 2015
    Nuri has encountered the most Scottish of all Scott arguments.
    Rochelle said:

I'm addressing the fact that people are being hyperbolic that this game is going to be played by a lot of people over the known popular mobile games. I also provided some statistics.

Well, what we specifically said in the show is that it will replace candybox style games for anyone who cares at all about Pokemon. It will also be the second truly ongoing modern AR game to ever exist.

Post edited by Rym on
  • Rym said:

Nuri has encountered

Rochelle said:

Well, what we specifically said in the show is that it will replace candybox style games for anyone who cares at all about Pokemon. It will also be the second truly ongoing modern AR game to ever exist.

You have a show that talks about this? =P

But, I agree that people who play the candybox games, who are down with the Pokemans, will do less 3DS Street Pass games and do Pokemon Go. Reading that Verge article I RT'd, there will be in-app purchases and there is no price on the Pokemon Go Plus dongle. So people will be spending the $$$.

• Streetpass is dead to me. I will never click on that icon again.
  • Rym said:

Streetpass is dead to me. I will never click on that icon again.

Scott hooked me on again and I recently got the Zombie & Fishing game. I hate you, Scott.
  • Rochelle said:

Rym said:

Scott hooked me on again and I recently got the Zombie & Fishing game. I hate you, Scott.
    Fishy fishy fish!
  • Apreche said:

Rochelle said:

Rym said:

Fishy fishy fish!
    I've noticed that both those games have a higher degree of difficulty versus the previous Mii games. You more than likely have to make sure you have more than just 1 guest to be able to do anything worthwhile in the game.

I need to get my rod upgraded.