This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Pokemon Go!

Comments

• Rym said:

Streetpass is dead to me. I will never click on that icon again.

• edited September 2015
    Apparently the Bluetooth device is so that you can play the game without constantly having your phone out. It's 100% optional.

Meaning we will all have them.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • It's also social currency. You'll see that thing on some guy on the subway, he'll see yours, and there will be a knowing nod.
  • Rym said:

It's also social currency. You'll see that thing on some guy on the subway, he'll see yours, and there will be a knowing nod.

And then my Spiritomb will have his Eeveelution garbage for breakfast.
  • Rym said:

Nuri has encountered the most Scottish of all Scott arguments.

Heard this in a Sean Connery accent.
    Apreche said:

And then my Spiritomb will have his Eeveelution garbage for breakfast.

WORD.
  • So do I have to go outside to play this game? Lame...
  • That's sorta what I was thinking while watching the trailer.
  • I play Ingress on and off these days (I reached level 9 and I felt like, aside from big events, I didn't really feel a drive to play as often. Plus my town is overwhelmingly Resistance and I can count on my fields going down in 10 minutes thanks to a well-organized area team). I think, if they implemented this right, it could really be "The Game Pokemon Fans Always Wanted." Niantic has been amassing GPS data for years through Ingress and the portal submission system -- they know exactly what areas are parks, landmarks, and city hubs now, and what areas are in the middle of nowhere.
    I just hope this follows logic that fits with Pokemon and that many Pokemon are region-locked. If there isn't a sense of a need to go outside your own city/town radius, why would you? Also, I don't want it quite like Ingress in that you travel to the "local town park portal" and there is always a Caterpie sitting there. I want these to be relatively random -- meaning if I can't get to the Growlithe that spawned down the road before my neighbor does... Oh well! Maybe next time! It will provide an internal worth to the Pokemon you catch in game if there aren't a billion of them.
    I am also curious about battle mechanics. Are we keeping the IV/EV system? Do you HAVE to battle to capture a Pokemon, or is it just throwing a pokeball? (That seems to be the case from the trailer, although it's more of a concept trailer to get HYPE, not a gameplay trailer). What about Pokemon that evolve via special stones, friendship... Will we see a version of Pokemon Amie? (How else will I get a Sylveon?). Are they releasing one gen at a time, or is the focus on gen 1 and 20-something year-olds like myself in the trailer solely to focus on me as a demographic? Will we get starters? How will that work?
    My husband and I have been psyched about this since the announcement and even more excited since by May I should have my master's degree well in hand and we can start traveling again. We decided we would definitely spend money to travel to the special events (like the anomalies in Ingress) for this. They could do a myriad of special events, too... Legendaries, official Gym battles to obtain badges (like the medal system in Ingress), Pokemon League... If anything, it gives us an exciting new reason to travel other than JUST to go to the area. It adds another layer of fun on top of an already interesting vacation.
    My biggest fear is that this will literally be Ingress (portals) with single ever-spawning Pokemon at the location and you just throw a pokeball and collect them like cards. I hope that isn't how they take this.
    I don't think we have anything to fear from microtransactions, either. Nintendo isn't forcing us to do microtransactions, it just makes the game easier if you don't want to put the time in or wait. But the microtransactions never break the game -- and since this is a social game, they won't do that, I'm sure of it.

Sorry for the long post, I just have a lot to say, I suppose. This felt like the fulfillment of my childhood dream. Some tears were shed when I watched the trailer.

TL;DR version: I am hyped and I have thought about this too much.
  • Dazzle369 said:

If there is ALSO a free way to get them, and paying just means you can more of them or get them faster, fine.

If it's the only way to get them, fuck that. I would rather pay for a game up front than get a "free" game you have to pay continually to play. A subscription game should just be honest about being a subscription game, like RO or WoW.

• edited September 2015
    Judging from Nintendo's history with Shuffle and Rumble, I would say more than likely part of the random encounters will include items like pokeballs and potions, but if you want a lot in a short span of time, you may have to pay actual money for them. There is no way Nintendo will actually charge you money for every pokeball in the game. Or perhaps pokeballs themselves will be unlimited, but if you want a great ball, or a master ball, that costs.
    Niantic has also been very good to its fanbase -- it's a free game all the way around, they throw events which are free, and there are no advertisements in the game. Nintendo has also been really resistant to the concept of paid DLC, so it's not like any of these companies are known for nickle-and-diming their fanbase. I mean, this isn't EA.

My primary concern, the more I wonder about the game, is that it will essentially be Ingress with a Pokemon skin, and that certain "portals" always house a certain pokemon. I really want there to be more randomness to it than that, although keeping in line with the environment at large. I'm also worried the battling mechanics will be severely dumbed down (or worse, automated), and randomly encountering pokemon in the real world will be reduced to hitting the button on the Go Plus and capturing it without a battle in the first place. I don't want to see this concept reduced to the equivalent of purchasing packs of Pokemon cards at my local gamestore.
    Post edited by Aiyakiu on
  • I'm really looking forward to this, and I'm really looking forward to the Bluetooth device. It coming out is probably going to coincide pretty well with going back to school, so I'm interested to see what sort of presence it'll have on the university campus.
  • Nuri said:

Dazzle369 said:

If there is ALSO a free way to get them, and paying just means you can more of them or get them faster, fine.

If it's the only way to get them, fuck that. I would rather pay for a game up front than get a "free" game you have to pay continually to play. A subscription game should just be honest about being a subscription game, like RO or WoW.

I think this type of model can be described as 'Pay-when-you-need-to-play' (PWYNTP), not to be confused with pay to play (eg. arcade machines).
  • Aiyakiu said:

Nintendo has also been really resistant to the concept of paid DLC, so it's not like any of these companies are known for nickle-and-diming their fanbase..

Pokemon Shuffle?
  • Koeniou said:

I'm really looking forward to this, and I'm really looking forward to the Bluetooth device. It coming out is probably going to coincide pretty well with going back to school, so I'm interested to see what sort of presence it'll have on the university campus.

There will be far more Pokemon Go playing on campus if Ingress was a marker to go by.
  • edited September 2015
    I'm honestly the most curious about the battle system. I don't see them utilizing the full-depth of the current 3DS system, but I definitely want to see a streamlined and simplified version. I want to see something you can spend 5 minutes on, but have at least some modicum of depth.

I also think it would be really cool if we can use the Bluetooth dongle thingamajigger to transfer our Pokemon Go captures into the 3DS games themselves. There hasn't been anything confirmed yet, but that would be incredible.

Everything else, I'm completely game for. I can't wait. Imagine having to fight Team Rocket NPC's in-game! Imagine the trading rings that this would have! Regional exclusive Pokemon would really have value, it'd be incredible.

Edit: Whelp, just saw this quote. Even MORE excited:
    "Players will search for them, catch them with Poké Balls and use them to battle each other. We're making a game that has depth within its simplicity, and hope it will be a game that's enjoyable by a wide range of players." - Junichi Masuda
    Post edited by VentureJ on
  • I have hopes that the Pokemon Go battling style will be more akin to the Red/Blue style of gameplay. You have more basic stats (maybe just Attack, Defense, Speed, and HP, leaving out the Special categories, sort of like Pokemon just had Special and not Special Defense in R/B), a smaller movepool to start, and they could overhaul base stats so it's not quite as detailed. I would like to see a Caterpie have a chance against a Geodude, actually. No IVs/EVs, no stat changes to start. They could implement them down the road if they wanted. I might be asking for too much, though.

"Depth within its simplicity" actually makes me a bit nervous, though. What if the game is just simple and the "depth" comes from "Look, you have to be in a park to catch a Grass type!" I just wish we'd get more news... I've been hanging out on the reddit and speculation is running wild.
  • Aiyakiu said:

I have hopes that the Pokemon Go battling style will be more akin to the Red/Blue style of gameplay. You have more basic stats (maybe just Attack, Defense, Speed, and HP, leaving out the Special categories, sort of like Pokemon just had Special and not Special Defense in R/B), a smaller movepool to start, and they could overhaul base stats so it's not quite as detailed. I would like to see a Caterpie have a chance against a Geodude, actually. No IVs/EVs, no stat changes to start. They could implement them down the road if they wanted. I might be asking for too much, though.

"Depth within its simplicity" actually makes me a bit nervous, though. What if the game is just simple and the "depth" comes from "Look, you have to be in a park to catch a Grass type!" I just wish we'd get more news... I've been hanging out on the reddit and speculation is running wild.

Your hopes are too high. This game will most likely just be an advanced candybox like Ingress, and not have actual Pokemon battles.
  • Apreche said:

Aiyakiu said:

I have hopes that the Pokemon Go battling style will be more akin to the Red/Blue style of gameplay. You have more basic stats (maybe just Attack, Defense, Speed, and HP, leaving out the Special categories, sort of like Pokemon just had Special and not Special Defense in R/B), a smaller movepool to start, and they could overhaul base stats so it's not quite as detailed. I would like to see a Caterpie have a chance against a Geodude, actually. No IVs/EVs, no stat changes to start. They could implement them down the road if they wanted. I might be asking for too much, though.

Your hopes are too high. This game will most likely just be an advanced candybox like Ingress, and not have actual Pokemon battles.
    There is bound to be some fighting system
  • edited September 2015
    Nuri said:

Dazzle369 said:

Well, if they're aiming to create a more immersive experience, having to buy Pokeballs would just enhance that! It's what your character has to do in the game, after all.

I promise you that someone has had this exact line of thinking.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • I watched John Oliver's bit about how the new Volkswagens will suck your dick. I went to go find the Penny Arcade about it, and lo! Panel 3 foretold:
  • Is tomorrow the release of Go?

Has everyone got their 20th anniversary Mew? Only just got mine!!! If you're in the UK go into Game and just ask at the till for a code.

Likewise for US but in Gamestop.
  • In the US the distro was only through the 24th. At least, that's what they said. I haven't tried going to a GS to ask for a card since then, so I dunno if they actually stopped giving them out.
  • Nuri said:

In the US the distro was only through the 24th. At least, that's what they said. I haven't tried going to a GS to ask for a card since then, so I dunno if they actually stopped giving them out.

The guy at Game (UK) told me that the code weren't working for some people also, but he gave it to me anyway. It's worth a try if you want a level 100 Mew, since it's worked for me. Despite the region difference, etc.
  • Gamestop is having Pokemon Day on the 27th. Might wanna try then.
  • Dazzle369 said:

Nuri said:

In the US the distro was only through the 24th. At least, that's what they said. I haven't tried going to a GS to ask for a card since then, so I dunno if they actually stopped giving them out.

The guy at Game (UK) told me that the code weren't working for some people also, but he gave it to me anyway. It's worth a try if you want a level 100 Mew, since it's worked for me. Despite the region difference, etc.
    My code wasn't working either until I realized it wasn't a "S"... it was a 5. The font they use is bullshit.

But yeah, I got mine a while ago.

• Ahhhh yehhh
  • Sun and Moon confirmed... also, the e-releases of the original games will be compatible with Pokemon Bank. AWWW YEEEAAAHHH!
  • Nuri said:

Sun and Moon confirmed... also, the e-releases of the original games will be compatible with Pokemon Bank. AWWW YEEEAAAHHH!

Now I can catch all those original 150 basic pokes and send them over to new games. Why yes, I am going to ignore your new version of Rattata and just use actual Rattata. Deal with it.