This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Tuesday - Fresh Fish

Tonight on GeekNights we review a nice board game Fresh Fish by Friedemann Friese. We also talk about a bunch of other games we played at PAX Prime 2015 such as Tumblin' Dice, Viticulture, and Elysium.

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• Anthony is high tier in the fish that coming in second place is good for mere mortals. The closest I can get to that level is in quartle which I lost a total of only two times in.
  • I've only lost to Rym in Fresh Fish, so I could easily posit that I'm the 2nd best.
  • edited September 2015
    I think I won every time I played. Or maybe I lost the first time, but won every time after that.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I came 2nd my first game on a very fucked up board with Rym, Chris, and Okeefe, who won. I won the second game I played v. Scott, Rym, Anthony, and Chris. My fish were no longer fresh as I could play no more at PAX.
  • edited September 2015
    Fishy fishy fish
    -
    The classic expropriation rules are:

1. Each delivery truck and each market stall must have access to at least one path. When the second to last adjacent space is built on, you must place a path on the last adjacent space. Flea market tables do not need access to paths.

2. All paths and all empty spaces must be linked. You may not place a market stall or flea market table on a space, when placing them would result in two separate path networks. Instead you must place a path on this space.

2 is worded strangely, but it's just a second condition you need to check whenever a new table or stall goes down - fill in any chokepoints with paths and kick out the discs. There is no road running along the outside of the board with the classic rules, either.
    Post edited by pence on
  • I have one Langobarden or two Langobardens.
  • I definitely thought this was going to be an episode on various methods of preparing fresh fish.

Mmmm. Fish.
  • MATATAT said:

As did I.

• I have never played Magic.
  • I have never played Magic.

Don't.
  • Okay.

The game itself is very simple: all complexity is in the cards. The game is primarily deckbuilding and understanding the full set of options for whatever cards are part of the available pool. You have to know what every available card does 100% to get any joy out of the game.
  • Rym said:

The game itself is very simple: all complexity is in the cards.

Apparently it's Turing-complete. I don't know anything about Magic, though, so that might be garbage.
  • I played a Magic variant card game called Vampires. The currency were blood tokens or something and there were various vampire clans. Used to play with some friends at Barnes and Nobles and I remember the other customers giving us weird looks.
  • I played a Magic variant card game called Vampires. The currency were blood tokens or something and there were various vampire clans. Used to play with some friends at Barnes and Nobles and I remember the other customers giving us weird looks.

That was Jyhad. I played it.

It was later renamed for obvious reasons.