This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Monday - Peeple's rise and immediate fall

Peeple was going to be a service where you... reviewed people. It came and went before it was born, generated unfathomable outrage, and is the topic of tonight's GeekNights. Mark my words: there will be dozens of services like peeple would have been in the nearing future, and you can not prevent them from existing. In the news, Volkswagen committed egregious crimes, and what they did is likely no less than a massive and widespread corporate conspiracy. Adobe updated and consolidated several of their phone apps. Also, Rym almost died in the Australian bush.

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• Given that the immediate reaction to Peeple was vitriol and outrage, why are you so certain that a Peeple-like service is an inevitability? It sounds to me like there just isn't a market - people don't want to be constantly and permanently judged on the internet by strangers.
  • Because other people want to judge you, or more importantly, see how you've been judged.
  • edited October 2015

Me on the Ruined Castle Rock in the Blue Mountains.
    Post edited by Luke Burrage on
  • Given that the immediate reaction to Peeple was vitriol and outrage, why are you so certain that a Peeple-like service is an inevitability? It sounds to me like there just isn't a market - people don't want to be constantly and permanently judged on the internet by strangers.

Because anything that can exist, will exist or does exist.
  • The people who were mad about peeple were loud, but the majority of people were silent.

The reality is a ton of people would USE these sites even if they publicly decry them.
  • Rym said:

The people who were mad about peeple were loud, but the majority of people were silent.

The reality is a ton of people would USE these sites even if they publicly decry them.

There are people who are crying about privacy violations of Facebook. Those people are very loud on the Internet. 1.5 BILLION active monthly users of Facebook give no fucks.
  • Apreche said:

Rym said:

The people who were mad about peeple were loud, but the majority of people were silent.

There are people who are crying about privacy violations of Facebook. Those people are very loud on the Internet. 1.5 BILLION active monthly users of Facebook give no fucks.
    The loudest outcry is probably on Facebook itself.
  • Probably one of the funnier things on that subject is my girlfriend's idiot sister who posted some copypasta on Facebook about not giving permission to Facebook to use her information.
  • edited October 2015
    I'm pretty sure there's a picture of me hanging over a couple hundred meter drop in Lamington national park on a school trip, just holding on to a small tree. Hiked out to the Stinson wreck once, too.

There's also these up near where I live -

Not pictured, Wild horse mountain, and Mount Mee which isn't really relevant but a good for terrible jokes.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • That sounds terrifying.
  • Is there beer on MtBeerwah?
  • Is there beer on Mt Beerwah?

Sadly not, but if you want to carry it with you, you can have a beer on Mt Beerwah.
  • Churba said:

I'm pretty sure there's a picture of me hanging over a couple hundred meter drop in Lamington national park on a school trip, just holding on to a small tree. Hiked out to the Stinson wreck once, too.

There's also these up near where I live -

Not pictured, Wild horse mountain, and Mount Mee which isn't really relevant but a good for terrible jokes.

Who dafuq named these mountains?

Also Rym: Backup glasses.
  • I'd imagine indigenous people who didn't speak our language.
  • They're all names from Local aboriginal language and mythology. The Kabi Kabi and Jinibara peoples, I'm pretty sure.

One of the stories about them goes like this: Tibrogargan, the oldest of the mountains, was the father of all the glasshouse mountains(modern name, obvs) but for Beerwah, who is his wife. It's said Tibrogargan saw the rising sea, so he called his son Coonowrin to take himself and Beerwah to a safe place far away. He didn't bother, and Tibrogargan flew into a rage, seizing his nulla nulla and clubbing Coonowrin down and breaking his neck, before turning his back to him.
  • Peeple is back, and they've implemented a "truth license."

• edited March 2016
    So, you should take that with a titanic grain of salt. Mundane Matt is a hardcore Gator, MRA, and general anti-feminist conspiracy theorist type, who will swallow just about anything if you tell him the SJWs did it. He's about the same as Milo, Sargon of Akkad, Alnuri the skullman, Thunderfoot, and all the rest of the obsessive right-wing reactionary weirdos.

Oh, and about the "Truth License"? Turns out it's basically just a paid subscription that allows you to see all the comments, rather than just the positive ones that have been approved by the accountholder. Nobody can sign you up to the service, nobody can bomb your ratings(which are just how many people have recommended you), and regardless of truth license, nobody can make ratings about your personal, professional, or romantic details that appear without your permission. Which is not explicitly stated by the company to be a response to people like Mundane Matt and their usual antics(who were, funnily enough, pointed out as the reason a service like Peeple is a really bad idea), but even Ray Charles could see that connection.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Churba said:

So, you should take that with a titanic grain of salt. Mundane Matt is a hardcore Gator, MRA, and general anti-feminist conspiracy theorist type, who will swallow just about anything if you tell him the SJWs did it.

I don't watch him for his slant. I watch him to see the fucked-up headlines of the day.

I also don't watch any of those other guys, so...eh.
  • RymRym
    edited March 2016
    You probably shouldn't consume any media made by Mundane Matt. He is a supreme shithead. All of the media he creates is both slanted toward that bullshit and tainted with his misogyny and the legions of his MRA shithead fans.

Post edited by Rym on
  • He appears to be pretty fucking racist too.
  • Maybe my brain is just broken today, but I cannot make sense of that sentence.
  • In short: People who side against feminism are almost 100% of the time not worth consuming the content of.
  • Rym said:

He appears to be pretty fucking racist too.

I'd say he probably appears that way because he is, in fact, pretty fucking racist.
  • Wow, that heated up quickly. Like I said, I don't give a shit. Pro- and anti-Gators are both forms of cancer, so please drop it.

I couldn't find any other sources about the return of Peeple at the time that video was posted. Some articles have been posted since then, though. Here.
  • "Anti-gators" are not cancer, and taking a "both sides" stance is the most harmful way to allow Gamergaters to continue to harass and mistreat people (which they do).

But fine, I'll drop it.
  • edited March 2016
    Daikun said:

Wow, that heated up quickly. Like I said, I don't give a shit. Pro- and anti-Gators are both forms of cancer, so please drop it.

South Park standard social commentary - call both sides stupid, and the only right thing to do is aggressively maintain the status quo while affecting an air of apathy.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Churba said:

Daikun said:

Wow, that heated up quickly. Like I said, I don't give a shit. Pro- and anti-Gators are both forms of cancer, so please drop it.

South Park standard social commentary - call both sides stupid, and the only right thing to do is aggressively maintain the status quo while affecting an air of apathy.
    Relevent XKCD:

That said, I wouldn't pin it down to just South Park. A lot of "internet places" tend to feel that anyone who believes in something is trying to either scam you or sell you something. If you take a stand, either way, to some people you're just "string up trouble". It's an interesting companion to the kinda weird social apathy of NEET-types in Japan. Like, it's a reaction to being given up on: you ruin me, I ruin you. Kinda interesting in a way.
  • Neito said:

That said, I wouldn't pin it down to just South Park. A lot of "internet places" tend to feel that anyone who believes in something is trying to either scam you or sell you something. If you take a stand, either way, to some people you're just "string up trouble". It's an interesting companion to the kinda weird social apathy of NEET-types in Japan. Like, it's a reaction to being given up on: you ruin me, I ruin you. Kinda interesting in a way.

That's true, I was just picking the most visible example - not many internet communities have a feature-length film to their name, after all.