This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Booh yah!

Comments

• sK0pe said:

The title was "A Stochastic Process Model of Classical Search", although it remains subject to change if I can come up with a better one.

I get the "stochastic process model" but the "classical search" makes me think of search algorithms.
    You're correct there; it does have to do with search algorithms.
    sK0pe said:

I guess you were teaching a machine to learn how to predict a provided pattern or statistically analyse the said pattern. What machine learning method did you concentrate on (back propagation neural networks, SVMs another discriminative classifer or something novel?).

I'm working in a different direction here; not as much on how to *detect* patterns, but rather on how to *exploit* them to have more efficient search and decision-making algorithms. Basically, the stochastic process serves as a much better-informed model to guide the process of search, compared to the standard idea of just having a heuristic function.
    sK0pe said:

What machines / hardware did you use, when I tried using some of these methods the run times were estimated in days for my home PC. I was trying to teach the machine to play Connect 4 from a few hundred game's move data and results.

Machine learning methods will vary extremely widely in how long they take depending on the types of approaches you use, how much data you have, and what kind of preprocessing you do.

In my case I wasn't doing machine learning, but I did still have to run some simulations for a good couple of days solid to get performance numbers. Since it wasn't anything too demanding it was just on my work PC, which is an i7 with 16GB of RAM.
  • Also, as far as the kinds of methods I'm using, basically the core ideas are probabilistic models like Markov Decision Processes and Bayesian Networks.
  • Jeff Atwood favourited one of my tweets.
  • I just sent in the last files for my first printed RPG book. Proofs should be coming back soooooooooooon.
  • Shit son! Right on!
  • Might have a job with a smaller company who was recently acquired by a large network. They have plans to work with them to provide a service which is basically what everyone on here wants i.e. You get to choose the channels you pay for.

They already have a pretty solid track record with providing software to live stream events like past superbowls which is pretty cool.
  • Got married this weekend :smile:
  • And the pictures looked great! Congrats, man!
  • Annnnddd... looks like I have the job :smiley:
  • Congratulations man, hope you have a grand time.
  • Congrats.

Related: I got my first job last week. Feels good to have something on my resume besides "failed the best high school in the country."
  • Got married this weekend :smile:

So did I. *fistbump*
  • Well I drank a bottle of wine and had an argument with my dogs so we all have thing we can brag about.

• I've had more wine with less company, so I think you're good.
  • They aren't good company to be honest, one farts to much the others got a creepy peeper.
  • Late start to the weekend of doing fuck all. Life is good. B-)
  • I was just invited as a featured guest to my favorite convention: Anime Los Angeles! Free Hotel, daily per diem, parking, green room access, and (obviously) badges for me and my friends!

I was a featured guest last year, and got parking and green room access, but now I'm getting my hotel comped and actual money for daily expenses... This is just amazing. I'm over the moon! ^________^
  • I was just invited as a featured guest to my favorite convention: Anime Los Angeles! Free Hotel, daily per diem, parking, green room access, and (obviously) badges for me and my friends!

I was a featured guest last year, and got parking and green room access, but now I'm getting my hotel comped and actual money for daily expenses... This is just amazing. I'm over the moon! ^________^

Congrats man!
  • Finally found out we are getting our laptops and training for the work at home program next week. Even better, I only have to come into the office 1 day a week instead of 2.

It will either be Monday or Wednesday. I'm hoping for Wednesday.
  • I'm finally fucking finished my goddamn Vietnam War RPG.

My tour is up and I can finally go home and work on something else.
  • Awesome, get it uploaded to drive thru rpg quick so we can plug it on tonight's show!
  • Awesome, get it uploaded to drive thru rpg quick so we can plug it on tonight's show!

I'm handing it out to some more playtesters first for balance and there's gonna be a kickstart-y thing first so I can print some up for conventions. But the part where I do actual heavy lifting is done.

Perfectionism...................................
  • The social engineering game i helped design, build and run during CyberSEED 2015 just finished yesterday, and the participants loved it! Of the 18 levels that were designed, the best team only got to level 12 and all the teams absolutely loved the human interaction levels I ran! I'm bummed that the teams didn't get to see everything we set up, but I'm really glad at how impressed everyone was and that 14 different universities came to compete.
  • My homeless Ash costume went down pretty well at Halloween. Also found what looks to be a Maine-coon kitten in my wood pile. Which is a bit bloody odd as Maine is the opposite side of the world to me. ITs working name is either Dickhead of Horse (the pun on footrot flats).
  • I'm finally understanding Catia V4 for work because I am in a class for it.

This is a program made in 1991.

Its like taking a class to learn Photoshop 3.
  • ALL CREDIT CARDS PAID OFF!
  • I got into the Let's Encrypt closed beta. Yay free SSL!!
  • I just voted by email. That was pretty convenient. Enjoy your going to booths and standing in line, plebians.
  • Got a job with Universal Protection Services!