This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Gun Control Thread

Comments

• Hopefully, this will do something about the sorry state of firearm security. Trigger locks suck, a LOT of safes are just garbage, a lot of lock-boxes are just garbage. There's a bunch of gun safes that you can open just by dropping them about two inches on one side.
  • Suppose in a radical departure from the status quo, the US actually does enact super-strict gun control laws. What do we do once we get to Diamond Age? Can't stop the signal.
  • Starfox said:

Suppose in a radical departure from the status quo, the US actually does enact super-strict gun control laws. What do we do once we get to Diamond Age? Can't stop the signal.

Just make it a serious crime to have, make, or use weapons. Ultra serious.

You can't stop people from making diamond age weapons in a diamond age. But you can ensure that anyone who does is fucked, since in that world there is no excuse for using a weapon.
  • It's already a super serial crime to murder people, and it still happens...
  • So my girlfriend shot down (heh) my idea for getting her son a bow just yet saying not till he's 8 (so four years). Honestly it was just a wild idea I had because I was in a sporting goods store and I wasn't seriously considering buying one for him in the near future, but I'd like to train the bugger one day.
  • Not to defend him, but I mean the action is open and thats nothing compared to all the muzzle sweeps of whole goddamn crowds many anti-gun politicians have done while showing off "evil scary assault weapon ghost guns." It is still best practice to point your gun at the ground though, something that police could learn a thing or two about.

So my girlfriend shot down (heh) my idea for getting her son a bow just yet saying not till he's 8 (so four years). Honestly it was just a wild idea I had because I was in a sporting goods store and I wasn't seriously considering buying one for him in the near future, but I'd like to train the bugger one day.

Eh at 4 I probably wouldn't either, at least not a real bow shooting pointy things. Not just for him shooting something he shouldn't, but if you've ever smacked yourself in the arm with a bow string even with a kids bow that hurts like hell. Get him a toy bow with suction cups and teach him the basics on that.
  • edited November 2015
    Even if there is no way a gun can be fired, you never, ever point the muzzle at something you aren't willing to shoot.
    Ever.
    Period.
    Even if the action is broken open.
    Even if you have gun that has a firing pin removed.
    Even if you're positive it's not loaded.
    While some people on that article are saying it's an acceptable carry, they're mostly wrong. Yes there is a shoulder carry, but it is the least safe and also you have no idea what your gun is pointing at.
    http://homestudy.ihea.com/hsafety/04fieldcarry.htm
    EVEN IF THE GUN IS UNLOADED.
    EVEN IF THE BREECH IS OPENED.
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • But GreatTeacherMacRoss!!!

What if I'm an actor in a movie!?!

/checkmate
  • edited November 2015
    I love how I haven't fired a weapon in two decades, and I still remember all the safety stuff and take it seriously. I remember it better than some people I see online posting about guns, calming they shoot 'all the time' and own weapons.

The rednecks down the road from us were literally standing in their driveway and firing a .22 rifle into the woods behind their house at no target I could see.

There is a slight grade upwards on that side of their property, which is adjacent to the backyard of houses less than 200 yards away. Those fucking hillbibllies are considered 'responsible gun owners' by a non-zero number of people who I see in some of these gun debates.

Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • edited November 2015
    1. Treat all guns as if they're loaded (because they probably fucking are)
    2. Don't point that shit at anything you don't want to kill
    3. Keep your fucking finger off the trigger till you're ready to shoot
    4. When in doubt, double tap.

Yes, I just added that last one for funsies.
    Post edited by Jack Draigo on
  • edited November 2015

While some people on that article are saying it's an acceptable carry, they're mostly wrong. Yes there is a shoulder carry, but it is the least safe and also you have no idea what your gun is pointing at.

Yes, yes you do. It's the ground. If it's pointing anywhere else, you are doing it wrong, and are also probably an idiot.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • It's kinda ironic that people who want more gun control and don't own guns are more aware of gun safety than the people supposedly fighting to make gun ownership easier.

Though, I suppose that's the problem to begin with.
  • Maybe Bernie Sanders will save us with free socialized gun training.
  • edited November 2015
    I've always been dubious of "the ground" being a safe direction. I mean if it's a hard surface the bullet could turn and go right into your (or someone else's) foot. The sky is worse, so I guess the ground is the least unsafe direction.

tldr Guns are fucking dangerous.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • It's kinda ironic that people who want more gun control and don't own guns are more aware of gun safety than the people supposedly fighting to make gun ownership easier.

Smart people + gun = I usually have no need for a gun, and dangers outweigh the benefits.

Redneck+ gun = MURICA! BANG BANG MUTHAFUCKA!

Smart people + gun = I usually have no need for a gun, and dangers outweigh the benefits.

Redneck+ gun = MURICA! BANG BANG MUTHAFUCKA!
    MURICA! can be really fun in the right setting.
  • I've always been dubious of "the ground" being a safe direction. I mean if it's a hard surface the bullet could turn and go right into your (or someone else's) foot. The sky is worse, so I guess the ground is the least unsafe direction.

That's why I say "Don't point it at anything you don't want to kill." There's NO safe direction unless we're talking about a well-established gun range, but yes, the ground can be the least dangerous direction to keep a gun pointed.
  • edited November 2015

Maybe Bernie Sanders will save us with free socialized gun training.

Irony - the NRA(who probably hate him) have been trying to do that for years. They've spent millions subsidizing free saftey training.

I've always been dubious of "the ground" being a safe direction. I mean if it's a hard surface the bullet could turn and go right into your (or someone else's) foot. The sky is worse, so I guess the ground is the least unsafe direction.

Agreed. It's not perfect, but perfect solutions are hard to find.

Plus, it's really usually used by hunters walking about in the middle of the woods and fields - I'd say it's generally used over a soft surface. But regardless, you have to be aware of your surroundings with firearms.

Post edited by Churba on
  • MURICA! can be really fun in the right setting.

Yeah, in the same way that Middle Earth can be really fun in the right setting.
  • sK0pe said:

MURICA! can be really fun in the right setting.

Yeah, in the same way that Middle Earth can be really fun in the right setting.
    The same way Westeros seems really fun in the right setting. Meaning not actually living there.
  • There are many people who enjoy guns safely, its just that there are also a lot of people that include themselves in that group who shouldn't. I genuinely would like to see widespread quality free training though. While the NRA basic safety training is certainly better than no-one teaching you, the trainers aren't exactly always professionals. I was looking into taking a class a while back and the class you had to take to become an NRA trainer wasn't much longer than the basic safety training course. I would just like to see a lot of that money spent by "gun safety" groups that really just want to ban guns you hold one way rather than another, spent on actually making people safer with guns. Obviously it wouldn't really do much for crime with guns but it could limit accidents and I doubt you would see anyone screaming about their freedoms being infringed.
  • There are many people who enjoy guns safely in Australia.
    It's their thing, they are geeks about guns, getting a gun license is and should be an achievement unlocked. You can go to gun ranges and shoot all sorts of non automatic guns. I've short a .44 magnum, a bunch of hunting rifles and a sawed of double barrelled shotgun and a full length one all on my gun safety class.

You can do clay pigeon shooting and all sorts of shooting competitively here.

Gun ownership increases the further you get a way from cities.
    I don't believe you need to have an automatic rifle, open carry or feel entitled to own a gun as a member of society or believe that you can take down your Government with "arms" if they get out of control. Let's be real the US Government is already out of control, much of the country is a police state from the perspective of an outsider.

Where is the gun toting revolution?
  • sK0pe said:

Walmart
  • sK0pe said:

Won't happen until a significant portion of the population with means and time (poor people are way too busy trying to survive to think about fighting against something they already fear) a is under significant stress as a result of government, just like the American Revolution wasn't a common uprising, it was a bunch of upper-middle-class businessmen getting mad about taxes and fighting.
  • Ilmarinen said:

sK0pe said:

Won't happen until a significant portion of the population with means and time (poor people are way too busy trying to survive to think about fighting against something they already fear) a is under significant stress as a result of government, just like the American Revolution wasn't a common uprising, it was a bunch of upper-middle-class businessmen getting mad about taxes and fighting.
    Its that great trait though out history. The amount of revolutions that are construed as being started by the "people" is actually some grumpy middle or upper class people getting them to do their dirty work.
  • People always seem to forget all the planning it took. They didn't just run outside with their muskets one day. Yes you need the people to be with you, both because you need the numbers and because otherwise you'll just basically be domestic terrorists but without proper planning and organization it would end up like the clusterfuck that is the Syrian Revolution. Do we really want the southwest to be the new Texan Christan Caliphate? Actually some of them probably do...
  • They do till they realise all the faff and work that goes into it. I mean what right honourable crusader wants to waste all that shooting time working out the price of apples.