This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Wednesday - Laputa: Castle in the Sky

Tonight on GeekNights, we review Miyazaki's Laputa: Castle in the Sky (天空の城ラピュタ) having last night seen it again thanks to the IFC. It is a subtle and wonderful movie, and you do yourself a disservice to have not seen it. We also attempt to rank ALL of the Ghibli movies. In other news, FUNimation is inexplicably launching a cable anime network, and Fakku is kickstarting a release of Maeda's Urotsukidoji manga in English.

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• Top 3:
    Porco Rosso
    Castle in the Sky
    Spirited Away

the rest are pretty awesome too!
  • Top 3:

Spirited Away
    Mononoke
    When Marnie was There

This is from a pure cinematic craft perspective. I suspect if I ranked them next week, it might change slightly.
  • Top 3:
    Porco Rosso
    Mononoke
    Castle in the Sky

#3 would be Nausicaa, but that was before Ghibli.
  • That trumpet though

• That's a great pic.
  • My Miyazaki ranking is pretty much:
    Porco Rosso
    Princess Mononoke
    Castle of Cagliostro

They're all pretty much tied, but Porco Rosso and Cagliostro kind of edge out Mononoke a bit.
  • Mononoke Hime
    Nausicaa
    Totoro, although Laputa was third for a long time.
  • Technically Nausicaa was made before Studio Ghibli was made. If we include that, I guess we also have to include Castle of Cagliostro?
  • Regardless, I think Nausica is great! It's like a cross between Mononoke and Laputa.

Cagliostro, meh. It's a film salted with some Ghibli essence. Not much going on for it IMO.
  • Dazzle369 said:

Cagliostro, meh. It's a film salted with some Ghibli essence. Not much going on for it IMO.

Die in a fire.
  • edited December 2015
    Princess Mononoke
    My Neighbor Totoro
    From Up On Poppy Hill

Spirited Away is probably a hair's-breadth behind these three.

From Up On Poppy Hill doesn't get nearly as much love as it deserves.
    Post edited by jabrams007 on

• From Up On Poppy Hill doesn't get nearly as much love as it deserves.

Probably just because it hasn't been seen. I haven't even seen it.
  • Apreche said:

From Up On Poppy Hill doesn't get nearly as much love as it deserves.

Probably just because it hasn't been seen. I haven't even seen it.
    You really should. Everyone really should. It has this quiet whimsy to it that is just magical. Totally redeems Goro Miyazaki after Tales of the Earthsea.
  • I saw My Neighbors the Yamadas at my friend's house on a Japanese VHS tape with a printed out script way back when. It was fun. My memory of it is that it was sort of Azumanga Daioh-esque.
  • I'd never seen any Ghibli movies before having a kid. There was a big sale at Costco one day when she was around 2, and I bought a ton of them, about half of which we watched. Castle in the Sky is one we own but haven't watched yet. Based on the chatter here and in the episode, Porco Rosso will have to go on the list soon.

Nothing reminds me I'm not an "anime fan" more than when alternate names for things start getting thrown out. Laputa? What the heck is that? Oh wait, Castle in the Sky, I own that! What's a Mononoke Hime? Is that a sequel? Nope, nevermind.
    Hime! Hime!
  • Apreche said:

Dazzle369 said:

Die in a fire.
  • Yeah, i was just going off Miyazakis. Grew up with Nausicaa, so no way I'd leave it out.
    Still can't figure out the name of an anime I grew up with. My vague recollection says it involves a dandelion (maybe) abandoned near a railway?
  • Yeah, i was just going off Miyazakis. Grew up with Nausicaa, so no way I'd leave it out.
    Still can't figure out the name of an anime I grew up with. My vague recollection says it involves a dandelion (maybe) abandoned near a railway?

That's so vague that I don't even know. Was it just a sad episode of Galaxy Express 999?
  • Attack on Titan started to lose me when the main character turned out not to be dead.

However (the Kinda-like-attack-on-titan) anime Knights of Sidonia has kinda held me a little longer. To be honest its still is kinda shitty as an anime, but there are a few interesting redeeming qualities. The first season is pretty comparable (or like the first half of the first season, however Netflix released it). However later on it gets kinda more interesting in a meta sense. Like the clearly evil rival character who is making super weapons is actually a good guy when you realize that the fate of humanity is at stake, no matter how stereo-typically evil he acts. I'm not sure if its enough to really redeem the anime and its horrible animation (the giant robots are kinda keeping me there, but it also just kinda makes me want to watch Evangelion again).

I also haven't really watched any Miyazaki Ghibli movies so I'm basically an anime-failure (I'm really bad at watching movies/anime).

PS buy a fire extinguisher and make sure you know where it is.
  • I mentioned Cagliostro specifically because I said "Miyazaki" movies. Not Ghibli. I judge things more by him than Ghibli itself.
  • edited December 2015
    Apreche said:

That's so vague that I don't even know. Was it just a sad episode of Galaxy Express 999?
    I know. This memory is from around when I was <5, so published pre-1989, likely.
    I think it was a one-off thing, not episodic. The scene with the railroad is at the end, and set in rural Japan-ish, not a futuristic setting. There is a song too & for the longest time, I thought it was "pompoko" or "tampopo", but Pompoko and Tampopo are very different movies. But it sounds similar. I recall the melody and a strong sense of abandonment, because the character was hoping to meet someone who didn't show.

Also, I played the shit out of Commander Keen.
    Post edited by no fun girl on
  • Whisper of the Heart
    Howl's Moving Castle
    Ponyo

Shout out to Scott for mentioning Hisaishi. These are tunes to live by.