This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Wednesday - Colorful and Rick and Morty

Scott watched Colorful. Rym watched Rick and Morty. On GeekNights tonight, we bring you reviews of both. Rym has restored the copyright-blocked GeekNights Presents: Utena episodes. Yowamushi Pedal gets a third season! Hulu is now the go-to source of anime now that there is an ad-free tier. (We can finally give those Slayers DVDs back). Manglobe is bankrupt. Cats are hustling.

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

This was the only review of Ergo Proxy a friend provided.
  • Thought you'd been watching the other, awful, Colorful for a second.
  • edited October 2015
    Haha I just posted a bunch of clips from Fool Us in the random comments thread and agree its a really good show. Here is one I found that I didn't share yet.

Post edited by Coldguy on
  • I watched a bit of that. Is this actually the format of the show?

Magician performs the trick.
    Penn and Teller discuss.

"Yes, we know how you did it," and they don't say how he did it.
    OR
    "We don't know how you did it." And he doesn't say how he did it.

Guys, come on. Do you want nobody to watch?
  • Starfox said:

"Yes, we know how you did it," and they don't say how he did it.
    OR
    "We don't know how you did it." And he doesn't say how he did it.

Guys, come on. Do you want nobody to watch?

However they DO tell you how they did it, they don't outright say it for those who do not want to know. You can tell this by hearing the banter between the magician and Penn as they talk.

There is enough for someone to go to the library or the internet, understand what they mean, watch it again and see what they do. Case in point:

• That trick with the plunger was fantastic. Simply incredible. Before listening to them talk after the trick was over, the only idea how he did it had to do with static electricity. Often cards can stick together. He might slip something in-between the cards int he right spot so that some stick together, and others do not. That seems so unreliable though. There must be some other trick to it, and I have no fucking clue.
  • And now I know.
  • That plunger trick is legit, the charisma really sells it.

The magic

and

the mystery.
  • Of course now I found the original example to prove my point, I'll just post it here as example B to starfox.

• edited October 2015
    This is pretty great.
    Reminds me of Folk Punk/Pat the Bunny/The Front Bottoms.
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • Yeah I kinda got that vibe too.
  • Rick and Morty is the best cartoon right now. So funny, innovative, daring, ballsy, emotional and absurd all at the same time. But Rym put it best, it is not for people who have do not have the stomach for the dark gags and attitude. So many of the people who I've tried to get to watch it who like things like Doctor Who can't get into Rick and Morty because it's too sad, mean, insane, etc.

Plus, I think you know you love the show if you can dig Meeseeks and Destroy.
  • It's good for what it is, but this trend of trying to make the most insane cartoon possible (ie Adventure Time and the like) isn't really the best thing for Western Animation as an artform.
  • I would say something like Superjail is trying to make the most insane cartoon possible more than Rick and Morty or Adventure Time.
  • By insane you mean playing with tropes and concepts in surprising and interesting ways within given genre?
  • Cremlian said:

By insane you mean playing with tropes and concepts in surprising and interesting ways within given genre?

I'd say Superjail is frenetically insane. Tons of nonstop movement with an acidtrip style of nonstop violence. Doesn't have depth like Adventure Time or Rick and Morty, but it's fascinating for what it is.
  • I'm not talking about superjail.
  • What's with everyone's pupils?
  • edited October 2015

I would say something like Superjail is trying to make the most insane cartoon possible more than Rick and Morty or Adventure Time.

I never considered Rick & Morty as trying to be "insane." What that show does instead is stomp all over the established formulas of other shows, as well as its own.
    Post edited by Daikun on
  • edited October 2015
    This is pretty great.
    The whole episode is great.
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • Finally got around to get into this show. It's pretty great. My favourite moment so far is empathising with the following robot:
  • Yeah, that's a pretty classic scene.
  • pence said:

The magic

and

the mystery.

Of potato knishes.
  • Season 3 will be out before the year is up. This season will also be longer than the first two.
  • Daikun said:

Season 3 will be out before the year is up. This season will also be longer than the first two.

Fuck yeh
  • I like that Dan Harmon says Ricky and Morty is not continuity cantered, it's there, but rather always keeping room to be able to do whatever.

Continuity and or consistency seems to be a major issue for science fiction. A good example for me is Halo. I've read a few of the books, played most of the games. It shows in the character design and narrative, where they don't want to risk breaking any continuity they basically get repetitive with character design and narrative to at least remain consistent. As a result it becomes very tropey and copy-pastey.

It's very uninteresting to see the same story told the same way over and over.

The best comparison in Halo is, Halo 3 and Halo 4, where the studios changed over from Bungie to 343. They should have killed off Master Chief. I digress.

Would be good to see more writers explore the very untold stories; go deeper and darker into the unknown.
  • Dazzle369 said:

The best comparison in Halo is, Halo 3 and Halo 4, where the studios changed over from Bungie to 343. They should have killed off Master Chief. I digress.

They did! Remember when a nuke went off in his hands and then next scene he's, uh, fine I guess?

"Chief, soldiers aren't machines."
    *Dramatic music* *Chief snaps his head around*

Definitely a Dread Robot Master Chief situation.