This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

MAGFest 14 (2016)

Comments

• It is finally done, the panel emails have been sent out! So now I can talk about the schedule. This year we had half of the normal submissions due to the date change, however we barely had enough to cover the schedule in crap that sounded good.

As for the highlights:
    Two Game Dev panels, one on Xboz and one on Linux
    Reality TV stars are doing panels (Ninja Warrior contestants)
    We have a hardcore Music Theory (Cadences) panel, hardcore Rthym Game panel, and a J/K Pop panel
    Out of all the submissions, only one Undertale, forced to approve there
    Retsupurae guys will be there
    I am doing two panels on Sunday my nerd music one and the How to get panel at MAGFest one right before feedback, or forcing those assholes to complain to us directly.

I will give out personal recommendations once the concerts are locked in, but this year is a cluster fuck of good shit.
  • Coldguy said:

Rym is going to go all fanboy squee on them.

• Apreche said:

Coldguy said:

There are a few panels in the schedule that are up your allies this year.
  • Apreche said:

Coldguy said:

They are moderately entertaining young gentlemen.
  • I'm pretty excited for Psychostick, I'm hoping they get to sing more than just the video game stuff. I'm also really curious to see how Ninja Sex Party performs live as well.
  • DAMMIT! I thought panels were already closed. I could have submitted something.
  • Well, we don't submit panels through the normal channels, so we have a lot more leeway.
  • It appears we have an unofficial Reddit with some interesting tidbits there.

Anyone here stating until Monday? There is a post MAGFest concert in DC 18+ with four of the big bands. Anyone want to carpool?
  • I've been subbed to that sub for years now.
  • Coldguy said:

It appears we have an unofficial Reddit with some interesting tidbits there.

Anyone here stating until Monday? There is a post MAGFest concert in DC 18+ with four of the big bands. Anyone want to carpool?

Which bands?
  • edited January 2016

Coldguy said:

It appears we have an unofficial Reddit with some interesting tidbits there.

Which bands?
    Here is the lineup: on Facebook. Overall a You Bred Raptors? show as they start their tour with Cheap Dinosaurs, Professor Shyguy, and Triforce Quartet.

Solid lineup and be down for a carpool of post MAGFest if anyone is interested.

Also the Reddit ama is today at 1 PM EST. For those with burning questions.
    Post edited by Coldguy on
  • edited January 2016
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • It appears Katsucon released a food guide. Thought to share with you all if its your first time. Also the schedule it to be released tomorrow.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YJG-hnlZZZ27aLRKxOTLBQbxjIbiBcyzITtDDBWJEBU/edit?usp=docslist_api

• 1. Nandos
    2. Nandos
    3. Nandos
    4. Nandos
    5. And Nandos

(not actually serious)
  • I can finally share this!

http://schedule.magfest.org/

May the planning begin....
  • Oh shit Nidhogg and Lethal League tourneys? Tragically unlike CTcon I can't win actual money at these but I'm gunning for the title.
  • Jordan O. said:

Oh shit Nidhogg and Lethal League tourneys? Tragically unlike CTcon I can't win actual money at these but I'm gunning for the title.

We have Mpoints, they are the gift cards for con goers
  • Damn, this is the first year I can say there is a side culture of custom events. The mega man marathon is going to have live performances and now there is this:

MAG Underground.

Facebook searching also shows me that panelists are now promoting their panels around other events. The Undertale meetup is meeting at the Undertale panel. I am really curious to look at these numbers to see how effective this tactic is.
  • edited February 2016

Post edited by Coldguy on
  • RFC 21816 - MAGFest Tabletop packing list

Thoughts as of last night, inspired by Rym's entirely older German list. Could cut something for Factory Fun, or swap Race for Roll if someone feels strongly enough about it.

I am not surprised that aiming for relatively popular German games resulted in a list that is full of SdJ winners and nominees.
  • ROOOOOLLLLLL Over Race any day.
  • Cremlian said:

ROOOOOLLLLLL Over Race any day.

Raaaaace.
  • Apreche said:

Cremlian said:

ROOOOOLLLLLL Over Race any day.

Raaaaace.
    Roll.

• Dice v. Cards is a very polarizing issue.
  • I vote roll
  • edited February 2016
    Race!

Also, you can probably swap Power grid for factory manager, since I am almost positive Cold will be bringing Power Grid.

Edit: Factory Fun, though I wouldn't say no to Factory Manager
    Post edited by belkalra on