This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Which U.S. city is the best?

13»

Comments

• Driving is such second nature to me that it's barely a conscious action.
    I actually think a lot about driving, even when I'm not driving. It's a craft I endeavor to master totally.
    Indeed.
  • Funny, I think about flying around with a jetpack in video games that way.
    Or the god damned helicopter in BF3.
    Or the god damned helicopter in BF3.
    George has a long and storied history as a pilot in BF3. Well, in aggregate, at least, none of the individual stories last for very long at all.
  • Apparently, Austin endorses gay marriage. In Texas.

We're awesome.

We're awesome.
    When I visited Austin, I thought it was incredible except for the heat. Love the layout of the city, great nightlife, endless variety and creativity, and really good people. I think the lack of good mass transit is made up for the fact that traveling around the city isn't too bad with a car.

So far, top tiers are New York and Austin.

Not a fan of DC. Biggest lesson I remember from MAGFest, was that "Baltimore is where dreams go to get stabbed."

We're awesome.
    The only problem with Austin is that it's surrounded on all four sides by Texas. It's a good city, but it's location keeps it out of top two tier for me.
  • Clearly, Seattle is best city. Yes, you do need a car to get around, but we've got things like The Airlock, we've got several gaming bars, we've got an abundance of Tech. Also, the rain is cool and refreshing.
  • You pass the PAX test.
  • Also Seattle's abundance of blackberries, as well as pear and apple trees, is a bonus. I do not live there, but visited for PAX 2012 and ate probably the best apple I've ever had from a tree in some neighborhood. I live in Manhattan, and I have yet to eat anything grown wildly here, though I hear central park does have some wild edibles that aren't to be missed...
  • via Colbert

• There isn't much to do in San Diego besides eat Mexican food and make Anchorman jokes.
    Careful, there's always one more thing.
  • There isn't much to do in San Diego besides eat Mexican food and make Anchorman jokes.
    Actually, I kinda liked San Diego when I visited it about 12 years ago. I did enjoy its proximity to the sea, which is something I'd like to have anywhere I live having basically lived within an hour or so from the coast (and grown up about 5 minutes from it) for my entire life. The harbor area is very nice, even just to walk around, IMHO. They also had the Kansas City BBQ restaurant there, famous for being the "site of the sleazy bar scene from Top Gun," but I think it either burned down or went out of business a couple years back.
    Apparently, Austin endorses gay marriage. In Texas.

We're awesome.
    The only problem with Austin is that it's surrounded on all four sides by Texas. It's a good city, but it's location keeps it out of top two tier for me.
    I have a co-worker who moved out here from Texas, though he's not originally from Austin. He did attend UT Austin though. He said that Austin is the only town in the entire state he can even stand.
  • Rochester.

Okay, just kidding.
  • Rochester.

Okay, just kidding.
    Having been there once before, there is only one word I can sum up Rochester with: Woman!
  • Rochester.

Okay, just kidding.
    Having been there once before, there is only one word I can sum up Rochester with: Woman!
    It's not always that way...It was actually stupid warm out yesterday, given that it was December.

No, it's only not a great city because something is always breaking/dying/shutting down, and there are almost no jobs for most major non-healthcare industries.

• edited December 2012
    San Francisco is my favorite city, mostly because of the climate and the tech culture. And the food. And the ease of getting around the Bay Area (south bay notwithstanding). And the coffee. And the multiculturalism. And the climate. BART + MUNI doesn't hold a candle to the MTA, though. My rankings (of places I've lived or visited a lot) are:

1. San Francisco
    2. NYC
    3. Seattle
    4. Boston
    5. Providence (really quaint, but a lot of college and post-college cool people)
    6. All other cities
    7. LA
    8. DC
    9. Rochester
    10. Baltimore

NOTE: I've never been to Portland, but it sounds like a nice place to live.

EDIT: I would put Oakland in there, but it's equivalent to Brooklyn in the sense that it should be included when mentioning the major city it borders.

EDIT: NYC is the most culturally diverse city, definitely, but San Francisco isn't too shabby (especially with Asian cultures). Also, North Beach > Little Italy.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • FYI, you can take the commuter rail from Providence to Boston, so while it's a town you'd need a car to get around in, you can at least take the train and not drive up to Boston if you work there.
  • yay providence!
    I really enjoyed Philly and Asheville (basically Providence with mountains instead of ocean) when I semi-resided there. I can deal with mediocre public transport as long as it's bike friendly and not too cold.
  • I'm not going to say Houston is the best but at this point I don't really have any intention of leaving soon and don't dislike it. I'm reasonably well insulated from the yokels, the city is diverse and interesting, and I know people here.

Not really sure there's any city in the US that stands out as somewhere I really want to be. NYCs density bothers me. Seattle seems like more of the same just more hipsters and yuppies. California is fucking beautiful, but I'm not sure I'd want to live in LA. Really if I had the choice to live anywhere with no detriment to my ability to make a living I'd probably just move into psuedo-wilderness somewhere. Copenhagen is nice too.
  • I need to do more traveling to big cities in the US. The only big cities I've really visited (and lived in) are Seattle, Portland, and LA. Obviously I'm biased to Seattle. Portland is a nice city with good public transportation, but it has this feeling about it like there really isn't much to do there compared to Seattle. As my friends are fond of saying, "Portland is Seattle's training bra."

As for LA, never want to live there. I've only been to Dallas once, but also don't want to live there.
  • Newark does have the best mayor.
  • edited December 2012
    Newark does have the best mayor.
    He can win any election he wants in a landslide if he stays away from the issues.
    Post edited by Greg on
  • According to this study, there are only 9 cities in the entire United States:

New York
    Chicago
    Philadelphia
    San Francisco
    Detroit
    Seattle
    DC
    Boston
    Baltimore

The rest are all, regardless of their population, significantly suburban in character (transit, commerce, etc...). Denver is a distant 10th.

San Antonio is 65% suburban. If you cut the suburban parts out, then what's left isn't a big enough city to even make the list. This does explain why, despite San Antonio being one of the most populous cities in the US, it really felt like a small, sparse suburb when we were there.
  • edited May 2015
    The problem is that so many of these cities have neighborhoods that are only part of the "City" due to historical demarcation. Take Northridge (where I live) and Glendale, for example. Glendale is closer to Los Angeles proper than Northridge is, and yet it's a city of its own. Northridge is nearly on the border of a whole different county, and yet it's a "neighborhood" of Los Angeles. If the major cities cut loose these little 'burbs and they became cities or townships, you'd have a lot more "cities" by those (arbitrary) standards.
    On the other hand, I can right now say that all of my videos are produced in SUNNY LOS ANGELES CALIFORNIA! Which I suppose is probably why many of these neighborhoods are still neighborhoods.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Don't know which one is better -
    Whitesboro, New York, which takes it's name quite literally and depicts the town's intentions clearly.
    Home of the Brave
    Desert Vista, Arizona, where America is "post racism", in that they post racist things on social media.
    Land of the Free
  • sK0pe said:

Don't know which one is better -
    Whitesboro, New York, which takes it's name quite literally and depicts the town's intentions clearly.

I love this story. It's such a hurricane of simple intentions and poor phrasing. Whitesboro was founded by Hugh White. That was his actual name. He beat an Indian in a friendly wrestling match for the land, which is how the town was founded. This narrative is extremely suspicious and reeks of denial of genocide, but it is agreed upon by both the government of Whitesboro and the local tribes who pressured them into changing the seal. The whole saga reads like ham fisted satire but is totally real.
  • I was flabbergasted when I found the town story to be a real thing because it read like something out of Family Guy or Parks and Recreation comedy sitcoms.