This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Wednesday - Anime We Stopped Watching

Tonight on GeekNights, we consider all of the anime we watched a non-trivial number of episodes of before just... stopping. As we plan to do with Attack on Titan whenever it starts up again. From .hack to Naruto, Kaze no Yojimbo to Ergo Proxy. It's one thing to drop a show after one episode, but after 10? 20? What drives someone to just drop a show midway?

In other news, The Boy and the Beast is premiering in the US, the New York International Children's Film Festival has an amazing animation lineup this year, Over the Garden Wall is amazing, Katsucon this weekend has one of the worst panel policies of all fan conventions, and we'll be performing at MAGFest next weekend!

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• Already bought tickets to the film festival. Going to see Long Way North.
  • Matt said:

Already bought tickets to the film festival. Going to see Long Way North.

I have a Polish Friend who caught Long Way North at the Annecy Festival last year. It was his favorite of the entire festival and he enjoyed it more than the Crystal Winner "April and the Extraordinary World." That trailer is phenomenally gorgeous.

• Speaking of Katsucon I will be there on Saturday doing some table stuff for Zenkaikon. If you are free between the hours of 12-5 let us get some lunch together.
  • Boshek Horseman.
  • A+ to the hands on the clock face crushing the Count.
  • Ergo Proxy and Boogiepop Phantom were titles I kept falling asleep to, for whatever reason.
  • Raithnor said:

Ergo Proxy and Boogiepop Phantom were titles I kept falling asleep to, for whatever reason.

Ah, Boogiepop. Forgot it existed, but same.
  • For some reason not too long ago I tried to watch Naruto again and I think I got up to the same spot I got to before and just stopped watching it. I think the first arc is interesting enough but that show just goes on for fucking ever.

Actually I think I started watching it again because I bought one of those Naruto fighting games and got back in the mood with it.
  • Literally every anime one of my friends shows me, most recently Future Diary.
  • Seriously, you guys are so spot on about Yu Yu Hakusho. I was thinking about it the whole time before you mentioned it. Even in middle school I knew that tournament was some bullshit. The first season was basically a good shonen fighting show. Then, the tournament lasts for 41 goddamn episodes. I'm not kidding, I just looked it up. Want to have a tournament? Fine, go ahead. The original Dragonball had fighting tournaments, but they were like 1 episode and then the show continued. I get it if they needed a little filler but Jesus it shouldn't be almost twice the length of the previous season.
  • edited February 2016
    Yu Yu Hakusho has like, 5-6 episodes of the "Detective Arc." This is how the mangaka originally envisioned the series, not with tournaments. However, tournament arcs sell manga like hotcakes, as it has since Dragon Ball (Which BTW, has several really long tournament arcs that lasted way more than one episode). So, Yu Yu Hakusho gets a pretty short (5 episodes) tournament arc. Then they move into another big story arc that's less annoying than a tournament, and fairly short. Then a short arc that takes way too long to deal with one group of bad guys, that is actually just used as the setup for the 41-episode tournament arc you spoke of. Then it avoids tournaments but drags for a long time, then ends with, you guessed it, a tournament.
    Post edited by Axel on
  • I want a shounen fighting show where it starts with a tournament.

But then the tournament is disrupted by adventure.
  • Rym said:

I want a shounen fighting show where it starts with a tournament.

I want a Shonen Fighting show where all the fighting happens off screen. Just show all the non-fighting parts.

Like, imagine an episode of One Piece like this.

Chilling on this boat. So luxurious. Having a happy pirate time.
    Found an island with some interesting characters, starting discovering a plot.
    Talk to the bad guy, find out they are bad.
    Luffy's about to fight the bad guy!
    Cut to Usopp or some other character that is involved in another plot away from the fight. This other plot line can not involve fighting.
    The next time you see Luffy he's dealing with the aftermath of having beaten the bad guy.

Normally I would ask for a Shonen Fighting show where all the fights are short, yet compelling. We don't need that, though, because Hokuto no Ken already exists.
  • Early Venture Brothers was kind of like that. They had all these Jonny Quest adventures between episodes, but the actual episodes were them coming back from them and dealing with the aftermath/living their lives.
  • Axel said:

Yu Yu Hakusho has like, 5-6 episodes of the "Detective Arc." This is how the mangaka originally envisioned the series, not with tournaments. However, tournament arcs sell manga like hotcakes, as it has since Dragon Ball (Which BTW, has several really long tournament arcs that lasted way more than one episode). So, Yu Yu Hakusho gets a pretty short (5 episodes) tournament arc. Then they move into another big story arc that's less annoying than a tournament, and fairly short. Then a short arc that takes way too long to deal with one group of bad guys, that is actually just used as the setup for the 41-episode tournament arc you spoke of. Then it avoids tournaments but drags for a long time, then ends with, you guessed it, a tournament.

I know Dragonball Z has some pretty long tournaments but the original Dragonball, back when it was a parody of shonen fighting shows rather than the most popular one, had some pretty short ones that were only an episode or two. Early on at least.
  • Forgot to mention. Never finished watching Nadia. It wasn't because of island episodes. Never made it that far.
  • One Punch Man. Best fighting anime.
  • edited February 2016
    Oh .hack, how I wanted you to not suck.

I powered through all of .hack//Sign waiting for it to deliver on its potential.

You missed nothing.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • I powered through all of .hack//Sign waiting for it to deliver on its potential.

You missed nothing.

That is the lesson I've learned in my wiser years.

That is why I'm not even going to bother watching the rest of Attack on Titan.

• Rym said:

Well, ya say that, then someone shows you Saint Seiya, aka Knights of the Zodiac as it was introduced to me as. Then you realize what you want is something GOOD that starts with a tournament and is interrupted by adventure.
  • Naoza said:

Rym said:

Well, ya say that, then someone shows you Saint Seiya, aka Knights of the Zodiac as it was introduced to me as. Then you realize what you want is something GOOD that starts with a tournament and is interrupted by adventure.
    The (arguably) best arc of Dragon Ball, the Piccolo arc, is basically the celebration of a tournament being interrupted by a call to adventure (first death of Krillin).
  • Oh .hack, how I wanted you to not suck.

I played the first (out of four?) PS2 games that they came out with. I was so stoked on the premise and everything about it.

And then I played it.

And then I watched one episode of the anime and realized it was just as garbage.
  • Star Wars Celebration DOES still exist. It moves around the world every year, and is actually run by ReedPop.
  • Matt said:

Star Wars Celebration DOES still exist. It moves around the world every year, and is actually run by ReedPop.

I know that, but I thought it might have stopped since Disney bought Star Wars.
  • edited February 2016
    Apreche said:

Matt said:

Star Wars Celebration DOES still exist. It moves around the world every year, and is actually run by ReedPop.

I know that, but I thought it might have stopped since Disney bought Star Wars.
    Nah. IIRC, they actually threw a companion event in the Park for it. They're cool with it, and have been lending expertise and assistance to make it bigger and better.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Yeah, nos we just get Star Wars news twice per year, as Disney does some stuff for their D23 thing.
  • Matt said:

Yeah, nos we just get Star Wars news twice per year, as Disney does some stuff for their D23 thing.

I must have heard wrong. My mistake.
  • Should have said "now" not "nos." You are correct. I don't know about the companion event but Disney is def helping with Celebration, in addition to their own events
  • edited February 2016
    Matt said:

Should have said "now" not "nos." You are correct. I don't know about the companion event but Disney is def helping with Celebration, in addition to their own events

Ah no worries mate.

IIRC, It was some sort of small thing at the park, in the area around star tours, and around the park some extra costumed cast, skits, some other stuff. Nothing huge, but still present. Expect it to get bigger - they've stopped doing Star Wars Weekend after last year, because they're constructing a whole Star Wars land, at least in Disney Anaheim - if they're not going to do some sort of event around either it, or on their own Star Wars Weekend day, they'd be mad. Both, propably - but not this year, they only started constructing the new section in January(Again, IIRC). I think Celebration is in London this year, too, but I honestly don't know.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I'm sorely tempted to book one of their Disney Cruises when they do Star Wars at sea. It's only on specific cruises. We did a cruise in the fall and it was a perfect vacation for the little kid. Put own a refundable deposit on taking a second one within 2 years.