This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Show Ideas and Reminders

Comments

• RymRym
    edited January 2016

Personality types:

1) Meyers Briggs / DiSC
    2) what you score
    3) what you think of the legitimacy / usefulness of them

1. Bullshit

2. I had to take Meyers-Briggs as part of some state intelligence testing, and later again in high school as part of some study. At RIT, I took it several times over the years as part of my PTC classes (we were studying the perceived usefulness of the tests).

I tested very strongly as any of these three:

ENTJ
    ENTP
    INTP

I'd either get an extreme E score or an extreme I score.
    I consistently tested high N and T every time.
    My J/P score was basically random between the two, and randomly weak or strong scoring.

The test is simplistic, as evidenced by the (not uncommon) extreme swings between opposite scores for a single person. It fails to capture the true state: is a person swinging so wildly truly swinging between two extremes, actually in a position perpendicular to the axis, or truly ambivalent between the two over-simplified options?

Further, the test makes very obvious value judgements as to the "results." This is even more apparent now that I've recently learned about the history of its "inventor" and the motivation behind the test. (At RIT, we studied the test's usefulness itself outside of any context).
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Rym said:

Further, the test makes very obvious value judgements as to the "results." This is even more apparent now that I've recently learned about the history of its "inventor" and the motivation behind the test.

Ooh, pray tell.
  • Plus, from what I've read, statistical analysis shows 5 or 6 degrees of freedom, not 4. Also there's some correlation between personality traits. On top of that, the test assumes that what matters is which side of each personality trait you fall on, not how far on that side you fall. So there's supposed to be a bigger difference between 55% E and 55% I than there is between 95% E and 55% E.
  • edited February 2016
    How about this for a show idea? Review the Matrix trilogy and Animatrix. I really wish the Animatrix had it's own series, I really love every one. The Matrix is too big to go uncritiqued.

I don't believe a show has been done for this.
    Post edited by Dazzle369 on
  • There was only one Matrix movie.

I guess someone made a couple of fanfic followups.
  • Bryan Danielson, the future of sports, and concussions. I will happily come on or give significant background work to help make this happen.
  • Did you ever actually do a show about F1?
  • Exercise/physical fitness
  • Electronic stock trading. http://quantopian.com
  • How about discussing SWIFT and EDI
  • How about discussing SWIFT and EDI

I love her music, and EDI was a pretty alright character.
  • Churba said:

How about discussing SWIFT and EDI

I love her music, and EDI was a pretty alright character.
    Silly, you're thinking of Tailor Swift, he's obviously talking about the pokemon attack that never misses but only has a middling attack value of 45.
  • Legendary Encounters: The Aliens card game.
  • Marvin John Heemeyer's real world story or recenge on a scale only imagined by many and realized mostly by comic book characters. The story of Mr. Heemeyer's Killdozer and the few audio tapes and notes he left us with.

It is a story of a man pushed to far by those in power, who responded in a way they could not dismiss, using force yet not killing or injuring a single person. Killdozer was a his magnum opus and inspires me. It is a subject I would like to hear the hosts's thoughts on.
  • It's actually a lot more complex than that, and Heemyer isn't nearly the good guy pushed too far the internet tends to portray him as.
  • That's interesting. I would like to know more of the story.
  • edited June 2016

That's interesting. I would like to know more of the story.

For a start, people like to pretend that he refused to sell his shop, and the new concrete plant+the city screwed him over, but he actually agreed to sell(making a 200K profit in the process, with an offer that was well above market price), but then started jacking up the price(eventually asking over a million for just two acres that were worth maybe a tenth of that) after initial sale was agreed to, and they refused to pay the extra money. His dispute over access was caused mostly because he'd been (illegally) using the adjacent property for access to his shop, and the construction stopped him doing that - keep in mind, this is after he already agreed to, sell, then refused to.

People claim he wasn't trying to kill anyone, but that was mostly luck - he was well-armed, and kept firing rounds at various objects(propane tanks, power transformers, etc) in a pretty clear attempt to cause explosions, he fired on the dude who tried to stop his dozer with a tractor-scraper, he fired at police. The buildings he attacked were all occupied at the time of his attack - if it weren't for the fact that his Dozer was very slow-moving(allowing evacuation when his targets became clear), and his less-than-efficient plan for destroying property, he'd have killed a fucking lot of people, which was almost certainly his intention.

He was almost certainly mentally unstable - tapes and notes sent to his brother(which were handed over to the FBI, but later released) talked about how he was on a mission sent from God, and made it clear his intent was to kill as many people as possible, prioritizing the people he felt had wronged him, and that he didn't intend to live beyond his revenge.

It wasn't a noble man pushed too far by those in power, pushing back against the world - It was a small, petty man who got fucked over by his own greed, who broke down, and then tried to get revenge by slaughtering people he felt had wronged him, and not giving a single shit about who or how many innocents he hurt or killed in the process.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • This changes my perception completely. Do you have a detailed source I can read?

I think a show should be done on it, but for a different reason now.
  • This changes my perception completely. Do you have a detailed source I can read?

I think a show should be done on it, but for a different reason now.

Wikipedia has pretty much the same info, I just put it differently.
  • This proliferation of "simulator" games.
  • More ideas for the "how to not suck series": How to not suck at conversation. With tech/gamer people but more importantly with non technical people that you might not have much in common with, say when you are stuck with meeting relatives or spouses of people etc.
  • The hype cycle and games like No Man's Sky.
  • Never be hype. Never pre-order an AAA game.
  • Fighting Fantasy/Game books/10 Doors of Doom etc
  • Interview the Warbits guys. Duh.
  • edited August 2016
    Stranger Things. It's only 8 episodes, and it is amazing.
    Post edited by malzraa on
  • malzraa said:

Stranger Things. It's only 8 episodes, and it is amazing.

Scott won't watch it. I'll put money on it.