This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Presents Utena: ep14

GeekNights Presents: Utena
Episode 14

Episode 14 of Revolutionary Girl Utena is the de facto start of the Black Rose Saga. The Boys of the Black Rose. Who are these new characters? Why do they look suspiciously like (and have ties to) characters we already know? Why is Anthy clearly in cahoots with the End of the World. Cahoots, and also bed. All this and more as we begin analyzing some of the meatiest episodes of Utena yet.

Our Patreon Campaign is a big part of how we've started the show again!

Source Link

Comments

• What is going through Scott's mind right here?

• MATATAT said:

What is going through Scott's mind right here?

"I wonder what purple tastes like."
  • edited February 2016
    Watched this on the plane back from Magfest.
    A point on the framed butterfly in the elevator: I'm about 80% certain that those white spots on the leaf are caterpillar eggs, so it's a transition from full butterfly back to cocoon, caterpillar, and then unborn egg. I've read it on the surface level as going back to the birth of the problem that brought them to Nemuro hall, or along the lines of Freud-style psychoanalysis where one is trying to reach into the "unconscious" for the origins of their personality and/or problems.

I think I had one or two other comments, but I'd need to watch the video again to remember them.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • How come everyone saw the eggs but us? Rym, adjust your TV.
  • Right, I had a thought on the dead boys: you were talking about all the boys who've died in duels, but given that the outlines probably correspond to the ones who were buried alive, it seems less likely that they did die in the duels.
    (I suppose unless there was a conspiracy where they were "buried alive" so that they could duel in secret without going to classes)
    But I think that the reason that they have these black rings that crumble when they die is specifically because they didn't die in duels. The rings are carrying on the boys' reasons for fighting because they never had the chance to have those reasons destroyed by a duel - at least until Utena comes along. If you're alive, you can always find another reason to fight, and the ring stays intact. For the dead boys, though, the ring loses its purpose and crumbles.
  • It is rumored that they were buried alive. They were also duelists. How they actuall died remains a mystery. Did they die in duels and then there was a cover-up lie that they were buried alive? If they didn't die in a duel, and were actually buried alive, how the fuck were 100 people buried alive?!?!?! It wasn't because nemuro hall caved in on them.

It could be that their punishment for losing a duel back in those days was that they would be shoved into one of those coffins and locked in until dead. That makes both things true.

Who knows?!?!
  • On first watch, I assumed that it was something like Nemuro Hall caving in, and that whatever happened the duelists had all died at once.
    Well, we do learn what happens anyways. Eventually.
  • On first watch, I assumed that it was something like Nemuro Hall caving in, and that whatever happened the duelists had all died at once.

If Nemuro hall caved in, how is it still there?
  • Apreche said:

On first watch, I assumed that it was something like Nemuro Hall caving in, and that whatever happened the duelists had all died at once.

If Nemuro hall caved in, how is it still there?
    Rebuilt as a memorial?
  • 45 minutes! That's two shows. This must be the deepest of dives.
  • MATATAT said:

When will Rym-sempai notice me?
  • MATATAT said:

Who the hell gives us money on patreon?
  • MATATAT said:

Why does Rym have a Sonic the Hedgehog x Hogan's Heroes wall scroll hanging up over there?
  • edited February 2016
    Coldguy said:

MATATAT said:

Who the hell gives us money on patreon?
    You can hear all those names and more, at the end of every episode. Secrets are exchanged, a pact is signed, they swap recipies, you know, normal stuff.

Post edited by Churba on
  • UncleUlty said:

MATATAT said:

Why does Rym have a Sonic the Hedgehog x Hogan's Heroes wall scroll hanging up over there?
    Is that actually a thing? Because, if it is, I need to see this.
  • You'll have to ask Rym; he's the one with it on his wall.

Alternatively, give me a few minutes with Photoshop and some search terms that might put me on a few lists, and I bet I could make it happen.