This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Pokemon Go!

Comments

• Yeah, now they've given me an actual reason to buy the virtual console version over emulation or just the original carts. I guess I should buy a 3DS one of these days.
  • I feel like EV/IV training wise the ability to bring pokemon from red and blue over could cause some problems. Gen 1 doesn't have an EV cap, you can train to full on all stats if you want.
  • I feel like EV/IV training wise the ability to bring pokemon from red and blue over could cause some problems. Gen 1 doesn't have an EV cap, you can train to full on all stats if you want.

Since they are making them compatible with Sun/Moon, I'm sure they will do the necessary background coding to port them over.
  • I'm sure once you put those guys in the Pokemon Bank, they'll get reworked. Just like how their names get translated if they aren't nicknames.
  • Then comes the real test, will fury swipes Persian still be death incarnate?
  • ThatGent said:

Then comes the real test, will fury swipes Persian still be death incarnate?

Even if it is, who the fuck wants Persian on your team?

Dragonite - Hyper Beam. REAL POKEMONS.

Also, I never knew why they didn't take the opportunity to name Persian Purrsian.
  • Apreche said:

Even if it is, who the fuck wants Persian on your team?

Winners.
  • Pros play only for style.
  • There's no reason your favourite pokemon can't also be amazing
  • Naoza said:

There's no reason your favourite pokemon can't also be amazing

Except for math. My favorite Pokemon is useless in real play.
  • Naoza said:

At least you can use it. A lot of my favorite pokes are just banned in real play. AFAIK Spiritomb is not allowed. Just too good.

• What's the endgame of competitive pokébattles? Does it come down to rock paper scissors fire rock electric etc?
  • Apreche said:

Naoza said:

At least you can use it. A lot of my favorite pokes are just banned in real play. AFAIK Spiritomb is not allowed. Just too good.
    I wasn't even talking about tournament play. Pichu is useless in the single player too.
  • Speaking of Pokemon my bald spot makes a cameo appearance here.

• Apreche said:

Naoza said:

What tournaments are these? Smogon classifies Spiritomb as Rarely/Under used. It has some decent protections, but it's slow and doesn't have a lot of HP.
  • Apreche said:

Naoza said:

I wasn't even talking about tournament play. Pichu is useless in the single player too.
    How is he useless? I usually always have one electric Pokemon in the party during single player. Usually it's Pikachu or Zapdos, but I don't see how Pichu couldn't take up that slot. He might not be as good as other options, but he'll still get the job done against all those water types you come across.
  • While I'm not well versed in any pokemon game beyond gen 1 and 2. But Pichu was in gen 2 and you can make him useful in the single player if you wanted to. You wouldn't even really have to go to great lengths. Just give him the raindance thunder combo with some filler moves like swift and mudslap, and you've got a pichu that can fill a real slot against the elite four.

Thunder being able to hit every time is no joke, and giveng him something like leftovers or even xdefense will allow him to actually use both moves without fainting.

Is this objectively worse than raichu in every way? Yes. Does that matter? Nope.

I use graveler on many of my teams because it's a four armed rock, whereas his evolved form went from gunmetal grey to shit brown and lost the extra arms. I love my graveler, the way you can love your pichu.
  • I use Butterfree. I don't really know anyone else who likes or uses it. You might say it's not completely useless in the game, but you know what is really useless? Caterpie and Metapod. I get through a lot of the game with Caterpie and Metapod before Butterfree appears and becomes useful. Somehow I manage. Probably because Pokemon single player is an easy kid's game.

I like Butterfree because it's cute (though far from the cutest), but also because it makes your Pokemon sleep with its powders! I'm all about sleep. What's stronger than that? Oh, I had high speed and attacked first. And now your Pokemon can't do anything. Are you going to swap it out? No? Well, let me just do some super effective attacks.

Ok, who's next? DOESN'T MATTER, HE SLEEP!
  • In the last several Pokemon games, it basically didn't matter at all what pokemon you played with: you'd still beat the single player game.
  • Apreche said:

I use Butterfree. I don't really know anyone else who likes or uses it. You might say it's not completely useless in the game, but you know what is really useless? Caterpie and Metapod. I get through a lot of the game with Caterpie and Metapod before Butterfree appears and becomes useful. Somehow I manage. Probably because Pokemon single player is an easy kid's game.

I like Butterfree because it's cute (though far from the cutest), but also because it makes your Pokemon sleep with its powders! I'm all about sleep. What's stronger than that? Oh, I had high speed and attacked first. And now your Pokemon can't do anything. Are you going to swap it out? No? Well, let me just do some super effective attacks.

All you gotta do to counter that is have the Insomnia ability. And sleep doesn't work every time. But generally, yeah, I like using it too.

• edited February 2016
    Nuri said:

Apreche said:

I use Butterfree. I don't really know anyone else who likes or uses it. You might say it's not completely useless in the game, but you know what is really useless? Caterpie and Metapod. I get through a lot of the game with Caterpie and Metapod before Butterfree appears and becomes useful. Somehow I manage. Probably because Pokemon single player is an easy kid's game.

All you gotta do to counter that is have the Insomnia ability. And sleep doesn't work every time. But generally, yeah, I like using it too.

You have to use the insomnia ability. It's not some always-on kind of thing. I hope your speed is high, because my Pokemon is going to make you sleep before you get a chance.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Apreche said:

Nuri said:

Apreche said:

You have to use the insomnia ability. It's not some always-on kind of thing. I hope your speed is high, because my Pokemon is going to make you sleep before you get a chance.
    Um no... always on is exactly what it is. http://www.serebii.net/abilitydex/insomnia.shtml

• Nuri said:

Apreche said:

Nuri said:

Apreche said:

Um no... always on is exactly what it is. http://www.serebii.net/abilitydex/insomnia.shtml

Whaaaat? How does that work? If it's an ability you have to learn it at X level and it takes up one of your four ability slots. I've never seen an ability in an ability slot that you don't have to use.
  • edited February 2016
    No dude, those are MOVES. Abilities are inherent traits that your pokemon just has. Each pokemon gets one. There are usually 2 or 3 options each breed of pokemon can have.
    Post edited by Nuri on
  • Scott... do you even pokemon?
  • edited February 2016
    Rym said:

Scott... do you even pokemon?

I beat every Pokemon up through Diamond. I got Black and I also got Y, but I didn't beat either one. Also, I never had a situation where a Pokemon didn't sleep. Sometimes those fuckers wake up before they're dead, though.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Apreche said:

Nuri said:

Apreche said:

Nuri said:

Apreche said:

Whaaaat? How does that work? If it's an ability you have to learn it at X level and it takes up one of your four ability slots. I've never seen an ability in an ability slot that you don't have to use.
    Abilities were added back in the Ruby/Sapphire era. Each Pokemon gets one ability which is separate from it's normal four attacks. They're passives, most Pokemon can have two different passives the Legendaries only have one and they're really powerful.

Spirit Tomb for example has Pressure which forces an opponent is spend 2 PP on a move if the attack hits. There's also a hidden ability which generally requires a LOT more work to unlock depending on the generation.
  • Scott only plays Pokemon on baby mode. Complexity is not for him.
  • Rym said:

In the last several Pokemon games, it basically didn't matter at all what pokemon you played with: you'd still beat the single player game.

The single player campaign in Pokemon is one giant tutorial. They largely want you to play with the new Pokemon along the way. Once you beat the game you can bring in all of the old Pokemon and use them in multiplayer.
  • More importantly, ma boi Machamp was MVP of 2015.